ActiveHandler is a Mac adware infection with browser hijacking capabilities. It pretends to be a useful program and claims to help users. This application usually infiltrates the targeted Mac machine without users’ consent. This program is designed to redirect users to sponsored sites for monetization purposes. Upon successful infiltration, ActiveHandler continuously delivers intrusive ads and pop-ups on your browser forcing you to visit unknown websites.
What is ActiveHandler?
ActiveHandler is a potentially unwanted program deemed as adware. It is programmed to show unwanted ads on the infected browser. It is a completely useless program that silently gets installed on your Mac without permission. This threat will sneak into your Mac and modify browser settings. ActiveHandler infection can work with all famous and mostly used browsers like Apple Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and others. Once installed, it can make several unwanted changes to your system and browser settings. ActiveHandler can even change the homepage and search engine of your infected browser without permission. It can also prohibit you from undoing those unwanted changes.
Once installed, ActiveHandler can create several copies to avoid complete removal. Whenever you will open your browser to surf the Internet, you will get loads of misleading and annoying advertisements on your screen. It can also create library files for automatic regeneration. ActiveHandler will get back on your machine every time you reset or reinstall your browser. You will find it very difficult to find and remove this application manually from your Mac. It is very important to remove all the files created by this infection and undo also the changes made by it to your system and browser settings.
How do I get rid of ActiveHandler on my Mac?
If your mac is recently infected by this virus then you might be able to delete this infection simply. But when it get some time to spread its roots on your machine then it will lot harder to get rid of this infection. For removing this threat at first encounter, follow these steps :
- First of all, click the Finder application on your dock to open “Finder”.
- Now click on the “Applications” option in the Finder left pane.
- Search for the ActiveHandler infection in the Applications folder.
- Remove it by selecting the Thrash Icon next to it.
- Finally, click on the “Empty Trash” option.
If you were able to remove this infection by these steps then it’s good. If this virus is still on your Mac then it has already spread on your machine successfully. Don’t worry, you can still remove this infection but you will need to use some more elaborate methods. Keep reading this guide for details.
Is ActiveHandler a virus?
ActiveHandler is an unwanted application that has cunningly managed to get installed on your Mac without permission. This clearly shows that it is malicious and when you are not able to remove it through simple methods, it proves that this application is also notorious. It is not incorrect to mark it as a virus because all its activities suggest the same. This unwanted app shows annoying ads, redirects the browser to unknown sites forcefully. It may steal your info, download other viruses, push a lot of ads on every web page you visit, and perform all sorts of malicious activities
Is my Mac infected?
When your device is infected, you will notice several problems. If you see any of the following symptoms then your device might be compromised :
- Lots of unwanted Ads will appear on every web page you visit.
- The browser’s homepage may get changed without your permission.
- Several link ads, new tab ads, and browser redirection.
- Several annoying browser popups appear with fake messages.
- Suggestions to download other unknown applications.
How did my Mac get infected?
ActiveHandler mostly attacks your machine bundled with free third-party applications. Unfortunately, many freeware programs do not disclose the information that other software will get installed along with them. This is how this nasty ActiveHandler malware would have got installed on your Mac without your knowledge.
It is very important to check every detail before installing any free program. You should choose a custom installation method to avoid any such kind of unwanted applications. This nasty ActiveHandler adware infection can also get dropped on your machine via fake updates, misleading ads, and suspicious websites.
ActiveHandler: Threat Analysis
Is ActiveHandler dangerous for my Mac?
ActiveHandler is a Potentially Unwanted Application (PUP). It is aimed to boost the traffic of dubious websites by showing lots of unwanted ads to earn a commission for its creators. It will gather your browsing preferences and spy on your online activities to fulfill its evil intentions. This virus can collect your browser cookies and monitor your online activities. ActiveHandler virus can gather your personal information like social media account details, login ID, passwords, IP address even credit card details.
ActiveHandler virus can risk your privacy and expose your financial security. It can share your details with hackers to use in illegal activities to make an illegal profit. You may become a victim of online fraud and identity theft. It can also create loopholes on your machine that can be used by other threats and hackers to invade your machine. It is highly important to remove ActiveHandler infection from your Mac as early as possible.
How To Remove ActiveHandler From Mac
ActiveHandler is a dangerous malware that can cause major damage to your computer. This nasty threat will bring several new problems in your machine. This is why it is quite imperative to delete this threat permanently before it completely damages your entire computer system. Once it manages to infiltrate your Mac, it will make your system vulnerable. This nasty malware is capable of bringing other harmful viruses on your system without your consent. It can completely obliterate your system performance in no time. This virus also has tendency to hide its malicious copies at various locations on your PC under different names. It is not an easy job to find and remove those virus related files manually.
In this guide, you will find instructions for two very different techniques to get rid of ActiveHandler infection . The first one is the Automatic Removal which is quite fast, effective and accurate. The second method is Manual Removal which usually takes lots of time, needs technical expertise, and often fails to give desired results. However, it is advised to take the help of both techniques to ensure the complete removal of the malware from your system. In case you are not handy with system operations and technical stuff, just opt for the automatic malware removal process to eliminate ActiveHandler infection.
Automatic ActiveHandler Removal Guide
As you already know that, ActiveHandler is a notorious and cunning malware that is not hard to remove easily by any user through manual means. This virus can keep coming back on the infected computer through files and shortcuts or settings that it has already created on your machine. Removing all those at once is the only way to get rid of this infection and stop it from getting on your system ever again.
So the best way to remove ActiveHandler effectively is to use a powerful Automatic Removal Tool and save your time and efforts. This software is a well-trusted and very powerful anti-malware program that can detect all hidden threats like Trojan, Ransomware, Worms, Spyware, Rootkits, and many others. It is a pretty advanced and effective Mac optimization tool that also provides 24X7 customer support. SpyHunter for Mac is the best app to ensure your Mac’s safety and keep it fast like new always. If you value your Mac then it is the most important application for you. Try this software once and you will never have to worry about any malware attacks.
How Automatic Removal Works
- First, download the SpyHunter Mac Anti-malware by clicking on the below button.
Some time threats like ActiveHandler keep getting back on the machine if all associated files are not removed. So you are advised to use a powerful Malware Removal Tool to run a thorough scan of your Mac and delete all threats at once.
- Now go to the Download Folder from the Docs and Install the SpyHunter Anti-Malware For Mac.
- Launch the Program, and click on Start Scan Now button.
- Software will start running a full scan of your mac instantly to look for any malware, virus, threats, malicious programs or security risks, and so on.
- Finally you will see a list of malware detected on your mac, now click on Next button to start the removal process.
Manual ActiveHandler Removal Guide
Stop Malicious Program From Activity Monitor
- First, you need to open Utilities folder on your Mac system.
- Find the Activity Monitor icon and double-click on it to open.
- Find ActiveHandler related process, click the cross button from upper left side corner to end task.
- A pop-up dialogue box will appear on the screen, click on Force Quit button.
Remove ActiveHandler From Application Folder
- First, go to the Dock option (bottom of your screen) then click on Finder App.
- Now you have to open the Applications Folders to see all the programs.
- Find ActiveHandler or any other unwanted program then move it to Trash.
Remove ActiveHandler Related Files From MacWhen any program is installed on your Mac, it creates several files on your system that support the functioning of that application. If you need to remove any virus from your Mac, then you need to delete all related files completely. These files could be found at :
- Application Support
- First of all press the Command+Shift+G buttons together on your keyboard.
- Now you can see Go To Folder option on your Mac screen.
- Type in /Library/LaunchAgents in the text field and click on Go button.
- Find and remove any ActiveHandler related or malicious file.
Attention: Don’t go meddling around and deleting files that you don’t know about. Removing any wrong file may damage your Mac. So you are advised to download SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware and run a thorough scan of your system for threats and viruses.
Remove Infection From Your Browser
Threats like ActiveHandler often install malicious extensions to the browser on the infected machine and make several unwanted changes to the browser settings. You might experience forced browser redirection, lots of annoying pop-up ads, and commercials on your browser due to this. You will need to remove the infection from your browser to put an end to such activities and block the regeneration of malware on your system.
Remove ActiveHandler From Apple Safari
- Open Safari browser then tap on the Preferences option from the Safari menu.
- Open the Extensions tab, find ActiveHandler related extensions then click Uninstall button.
- Finally, again click the Uninstall button to remove the extension completely.
Reset Safari To Default
- Open Safari browser, tap on Safari menu, and select Reset Safari option.
- Now check all the boxes and then finally click on the Reset button.
Remove ActiveHandler From Google Chrome
Note: Type or copy-paste –
chrome://extensions in the URL bar of Google Chrome then press the ENTER button to open the extensions page directly or follow the below steps.
- Open Google Chrome browser, click the Menu (⋮) option from the upper right corner.
- Select More tools then click on Extensions option to find all installed Extensions on chrome.
- Choose ActiveHandler related extensions then click the trash can icon to remove completely.
Reset Google Chrome Web Browser
- Open Google Chrome, click on Menu (⋮) then select the settings option.
- On Settings page, scroll down to the bottom, click Show Advanced settings option.
- From Reset and clean up click on Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Finally, click on Reset Settings button to reset your chrome browser.
Remove ActiveHandler From Mozilla Firefox
Note: Type or copy-paste –
about:addons in URL bar Firefox then hit ENTER button to open the extensions page directly or follow the below steps.
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser, click on Menu (☰) option from the upper right corner.
- Select Add-ons option from the drop-down menu of the list.
- Choose Extensions option to see all installed extensions on your browser.
- Choose ActiveHandler related extensions then click on Remove button.
Reset Mozilla Firefox Browser
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser, click on Menu (☰) option, and select (?) icon.
- Click on the Troubleshooting Information option from the drop-down menu.
- Then press the Refresh Firefox button and give confirmation.
Once you are done with these settings hopefully your problem is solved. If not, then you can also always download the Mac Anti-virus Program mentioned in this article to get rid of all the threats and viruses automatically. You can also take some precautions to avoid similar malware attacks in the future. Follow the below steps to improve the security of your Mac system.
Tips To Prevent ActiveHandler in Future
- Use a good anti-virus, be it a free version but don’t use cracked software.
- Make sure that your firewall is active, so it can block upcoming threats.
- Keep your OS and other programs updated to avoid vulnerabilities.
- Download updates only from official websites, don’t use suspicious sites.
- Never download and install pirated software, games, or illegal patches on your Mac.
- Do not open spam emails from an unknown sender and scan all attachments before opening.
- Never download freeware third-party programs from unreliable sources or websites.
- Avoid connecting your Mac to unsafe public Wi-Fi to protect your privacy.
- You can also use a VPN to spoof your connection and avoid malicious sites.
- Create a system restore point on your system for security purposes.
- Keep a backup of all your important files to avoid data loss.