Qstx Ransomware or also known as .Qstx File Virus is a notorious data locker virus. If all the files on your PC got .Qstx extension at the end and you cannot access them, it is a sign that your system is attacked by Qstx virus. It is the latest variant of STOP/Djvu Ransomware that is circulating online through deceptive means. This nasty malware is targeting innocent PC users and forcing them to pay huge ransom money by encrypting their files. If you are also a victim of this virus and want to learn to how to remove Qstx Virus and recover your files then read this guide.
What is Qstx?
It is a STOP/Djvu Ransomware variant known as .Qstx File Virus or .Qstx extension virus. This notorious file encrypting virus is an excellent intruder and capable to hit any version of Windows computer without users’ permission. This nasty malware is quite similar to it’s variants ccew, ccwq and others. It is created with the sole motive of blackmailing victims to pay the ransom by encrypting their personal files.
In today’s digital world, everyone’s computer is a gold mine of information that may not have any value to others but it has great value to the owner. Hackers behind this .Qstx Virus knows this fact that’s why they target the personal files and documents of the users to force them into paying hefty ransom money to get their precious data back.
.Qstx File Virus is a file-encrypting malware with very deep roots in the online extortion business. It belongs to the infamous STOP (DJVU) Ransomware family which has successfully launched more than 530 ransomware variants. In the recent past, these file-encrypting threats have terrorized millions of users around the world. It directly means the creator of this .Qstx file virus are extremely smart and ruthless.
Working of .Qstx File Virus
Hackers keep releasing new variants of their file-encrypting malware after regular intervals to make an illegal profit by cheating innocent victims. This nasty Qstx Ransomware virus is able to infect all versions of Windows computers and encrypt all the important files stored on that PC. You will find that it adds .Qstx extension to the end of all your file names, for example, the file “mypicture.jpg” will get changed to “mypicture.jpg.Qstx” and you will not be able to access such altered files. Actually, this extension is a marker that shows your files are locked, and then you will find the ransom note “_Readme.txt” on your computer left by hackers to demand ransom money.
If your system is infected by this nasty .Qstx malware infection, then all your files, documents, videos, music, pictures everything would be locked. All your files will still be there on your computer as you have put them but you can access them. This nasty threat uses a very powerful encryption algorithm to lock down your files. It is impossible to break the encryption without a decryption key and unfortunately, there is no .Qstx ransomware decryption tool available. This deceptive virus will also leave a ransom note on your computer to explain what happened to your files and how you can get them back.
Ransom demand is a trick
Creators of .Qstx Virus simply asks users that there is no other way to decrypt Qstx files other than buying the private decryption key generated for your computer. Keep one thing in mind that the decryption key for every user is different and it is completely unique. Hackers have set an amount of $980 USD as primary ransom fees but they are willing to give you a 50% discount. However, victims need to pay the money within 72 hours of infection. They are baiting the victims to fall for this discount offer and pay $490 USD without seeking help from anyone else. It is simply a scam trick to manipulate users into paying money without looking for other options.
The ransom note “_Readme.txt” contains the following text message:
ATTENTION! Don't worry, you can return all your files! All your files like pictures, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key. The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you. This software will decrypt all your encrypted files. What guarantees you have? You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free. But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information. You can get and look video overview decrypt tool: hxxps://we.tl/t-aMsnHoiJcO Price of private key and decrypt software is $980. Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours, that's price for you is $490. Please note that you'll never restore your data without payment. Check your e-mail "Spam" or "Junk" folder if you don't get answer more than 6 hours. To get this software you need write on our e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Reserve e-mail address to contact us: email@example.com Your personal ID: -
How your Computer got infected
.Qstx File Virus is a sneaky malware that could alter your system security in various different ways. Most of the time hackers use scam email techniques to drop this nasty malware directly into your Inbox with some legit name. When users open such kinds of emails, the virus silently slips into the machine and gets installed secretly.
Threats like this also normally spread through bundled freeware or shareware programs, cracked software, illegal patches, etc. that users normally download from the Internet for free and even stop their anti-virus protection to install those programs. If hackers embed their malicious codes in such types of files, then the rest is very easy.
Apart from this, .Qstx Virus Ransomware could also alter your system security when you browse malicious or porn websites, down torrent files, share files on unsafe networks, and click on misleading ads that redirect your browser to phishing websites. As you can see there are various different probabilities through which your system can get infected and you won’t even know.
Do Not Pay RANSOM to Hackers
If you are thinking that you can pay the ransom money to .Qstx virus and get your files back then it is a big mistake. It is clear that hackers want your money but they are maintaining their anonymity and demanding money through BitCoin which is a cryptocurrency. Once you pay the ransom, there is no way to track who got your money, who is the hacker or where are they. So you will be completely at the mercy of hackers because they will have no reason to give you the decryption key.
If somehow you will get the decryption key, what is the guarantee that hackers do not have secret agenda? That decryption key may bring more viruses, or steal your personal information or even completely remove all your files. So it is not a good idea to pay money to .Qstx file virus instead you need to focus on removing this threat from your machine. If you have a backup of your files then do not try to recover your files without removing this infection or it will encrypt your backup files as well.
You can also try third-party data recovery software for your files but still, you have to first delete this infection. There is no way to recover your files until you remove Qstx ransomware from your system. So you are advised to follow the given instructions carefully to get rid of this malware and restore your files without paying ransom money to hackers.
How To Remove Qstx Virus
Qstx is a dangerous malware that can cause major damage to your computer. This nasty threat will bring several new problems to your PC. This is why it is quite imperative to delete this threat permanently before it completely damages your entire computer system. Once it manages to infiltrate your system, it will make your system vulnerable. This nasty malware is capable of bringing other harmful viruses to your system without your consent. It can completely obliterate your system performance in no time. This virus also has a tendency to hide its malicious copies at various locations on your PC under different names. It is not an easy job to find and remove those virus related files manually.
In this guide, you will find instructions for two very different techniques to get rid of Qstx infection. The first one is the Automatic Removal which is quite fast, effective and accurate. The second method is Manual Removal which usually takes lots of time, needs technical expertise, and often fails to give desired results. However, it is advised to take the help of both techniques to ensure the complete removal of the malware from your system. In case you are not handy with system operations and technical stuff, just opt for the automatic malware removal process to eliminate Qstx infection.
Automatic Qstx Ransomware Removal
As you already know, Qstx Virus is a notorious and cunning malware that is not hard to remove easily by any user through manual means. This virus can keep coming back on the infected computer through files and shortcuts or settings that it has already created on your machine. Removing all those at once is the only way to get rid of this infection and stop it from getting into your system ever again.
So the best way to remove Qstx effectively is to use a powerful Automatic Removal Tool and save your time and efforts. This software is a well-trusted and very powerful anti-malware program that can detect all hidden threats like Trojan, Ransomware, Worms, Spyware, Rootkits, and many others. It also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real-time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware updates make it most effective against the latest malware attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- First, you need to click on the below download button to get the software.
- Then double-click on the installer you downloaded to install the program.
- Launch the Anti-Malware application and click on Start Scan Now button.
- The software will scan your PC for all hidden threats and viruses on your system.
- Click on the Next button to see results and delete all the threats and viruses.
How To Decrypt .Qstx Files
As all your files are encrypted, you need to recover your data without paying ransom money to hackers. If your files are important then you must have created a backup and you can use that backup to recover your files. If you don’t have a backup or this virus has encrypted your backup files, then you are left to seek professional help.
As there is no Qstx ransomware decryptor available, we recommend you use powerful data recovery software to decrypt Qstx virus files. It is a risk-free and smart way. You can just download the free version and scan your PC for files. There is a high probability that it can recover most of your files in a fraction of the amount that hackers are demanding. It is also needless to say that paying hackers will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks.
- First, you need to download Data Recovery software on your PC.
- Install the program, launch it then select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- Select the location from where you want to recover data and click the Scan button.
- After the scan, the software will list all files, select them and click the Recover button.
Manual Qstx Virus Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type msconfig in the Run Box then click the OK button.
- Click on the Boot tab then the System configuration window will appear.
- Choose Safe Boot, check the network box, Click Apply, and press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type taskmgr in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Find the virus related or unknown malicious process.
- Now right-click on it then click End process.
Remove Qstx Ransomware Virus from PC
- First of all Press Windows Key + R buttons together.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Run box and then click the OK button.
- Now Programs and Features windows will appear on the screen.
- Find and remove all virus related or malicious programs.
Warning: Do not play with Windows registry, host file, or restore options if you don’t have previous experience with it. Removing wrong files may break your system entirely. So if you are not sure, then stick to the Automatic Malware Removal option.
Compatible with: Windows 11/10/8/7 (32 Bit and 64 Bit)
Remove Virus related IP addresses from Hosts’ Files
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now open the host file with Notepad.
- Look for any suspicious IP addresses that might be related to the Virus.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses and save the host files.
Remove Virus related Windows Registry entries
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type regedit in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Registry Editor will open, then press CTRL +F buttons together.
- Now type Qstx and then click on Find Next button.
- Find all the related entries and delete them one by one
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When a threat gets on to a PC, it most likely creates some files at different locations on the system. These files are used to perform a specific action and also help malware in getting back to the computer once it’s removed. So you just need to find also delete all those files associated with the virus. Carefully follow the below instruction :
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard
- Type each of the following in Run Box and press the OK button
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the .Qstx File Virus and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files.
Remove Qstx Virus via system restore
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type cmd in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- When the System Restore window opens on your computer screen click the Next button, then choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, click on the Yes button to start the system restoration process.
Note: This will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC or it will give an error message. Restoring the computer to a previous version may or may not remove .Qstx File Virus. Most of the time, viruses just delete all the restore points. If this trick does not work for you then don’t get disappointed.
After restoring your computer, we recommend you run a thorough scan of the PC using a Powerful Anti-Malware program to detect and remove any hidden threats. In most cases, viruses may spread through any files outside of the C drive because system restoring only affect the C drive. There may be some Virus related files hiding on your PC, and it never hurts to double-check.
Sometimes, system restore doesn’t work or viruses can just remove the restore points. As such you will probably have no other choice than to choose the Automatic Removal Process. It is the best and error-free method to find and remove threats from your computer. Additionally, you should also check some important malware prevention tips provided here in this guide to avoid similar virus attacks in the future.
Remove Qstx Virus Ransomware From Mac
If you are a mac user, and your machine got infected by this nasty file-encrypting malware then you need to remove it as soon as possible. Although Mac systems are quite safe they still do get infected. So you can delete this infection using the below steps:
Stop Malicious Program From Activity Monitor
- First, you need to open Utilities folder on your Mac system.
- Find the Activity Monitor icon and double-click on it to open it.
- Find Qstx related process, click the cross button from the upper left side corner to end the task.
- A pop-up dialogue box will appear on the screen, click on the Force Quit button.
Remove Virus From Application Folder
- First, go to the Dock option (bottom of your screen) then click on Finder App.
- Now you have to open the Applications Folders to see all the programs.
- Find all the malicious or unwanted programs then move it to Trash.
Remove Qstx Virus Related Files From Mac
When any program is installed on your Mac, it creates several files on your system that support the functioning of that application. If you need to remove any virus from your Mac, then you need to delete all related files completely. These files could be found at :
- Application Support
Follow the below steps to remove virus related files from these locations:
- First of all press the Command+Shift+G buttons together on your keyboard.
- Now you can see Go To Folder option on your Mac screen.
- Type in /Library/LaunchAgents in the text field and click on Go button.
- Find and remove any Virus related or malicious file.
Now follow the same process for Application Support and LaunchDaemons folders. But be careful, don’t delete any important files or you can break down your entire system.
Attention: If you are not tech-savvy, then it could be quite difficult to remove Qstx File Virus manually from your Mac. The best way is to download SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware and see if it can detect all hidden threats and viruses on your computer. It’s really super easy and you should give it a try.
How SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware Works
- First, download the SpyHunter for Mac by clicking on the below button.
- Now go to the Download Folder from the Docs and Install the SpyHunter Anti-Malware For Mac.
- Launch the Program, and click on Start Scan Now button.
- The software will start running a full scan of your mac instantly to look for any malware, virus, threats, malicious programs or security risks, and so on.
- Finally, you will see a list of malware detected on your mac, now click on the Next button to start the removal process.
Tips To Prevent .Qstx Virus in Future
- Use a good anti-virus, be it a free version but don’t use cracked security programs.
- Make sure that your Windows firewall is active, so it can block upcoming threats.
- Keep your Windows/Mac OS and other programs updated to avoid vulnerabilities.
- Download updates only from official websites, don’t use suspicious sites.
- Never download and install pirated software, games, or illegal patches on your PC.
- Do not open spam emails from an unknown sender and scan all attachments before opening.
- Never download freeware third-party programs from unreliable sources or websites.
- Avoid connecting your PC to unsafe public Wi-Fi to protect your privacy.
- You can also use a VPN to spoof your connection and avoid malicious sites.
- Create a system restore point on your system for security purposes.
- Keep a backup of all your important files to avoid data loss.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is .Qstx File Virus Ransomware?
It is a Ransomware infection that encrypts all the files on an infected PC such as Videos, photos, music, databases, documents, backup, etc. After that, it forces victims’ to pay huge ransom money for the decryption key. It is the latest variant of STOP/DJVU Ransomware infection. It adds its own “.Qstx” extension to all your files and also ransom note “_Readme.txt” in all compromised folders.
How did Qstx Virus infected my computer?
Hackers behind this threat can use several techniques to spread this malware. Usually, such threats intrude on your computer through Bundled Freeware programs, Spam emails, cracked software, illegal patches, fake software updates, clicking on suspicious links, and visiting porn or torrent sites.
How can I open “.Qstx” files?
Unfortunately, you cannot open those files without decrypting them first. All your files are encrypted and you need a decipher or decryption key to unlock those files before accessing them.
Are my files completely lost?
No, your files are still there on your computer but you simply don’t have access. Qstx virus has encrypted your files and they can only be accessed after using a decrypting key for which hackers are demanding the ransom money.
How to recover Qstx Files?
There is no perfect Qstx ransomware decryptor available currently which can restore all your files. But we have suggested a quite effective Qstx File Recovery method in this guide which you can follow to recover your files. But don’t try to restore your data without removing the virus because it will keep encrypting your files.
How to Remove Qstx Ransomware Virus?
It could be quite hard to remove this infection from computers, especially for non-technical users. We have shared several tips on removing this threat manually in this guide which you can use. If you have no prior experience with virus removal then feel free to Download Qstx Ransomware Virus Removal Tool. It is the safest and easiest way to remove this infection from your PC.
Can I reinstall Windows to remove Qstx virus and decrypt files?
If you will reinstall your Windows then it might remove the infection from your computer but you will not be able to recover your files. If you only format C Drive then the virus hiding in other drives will infect your system again. You have to use a powerful Anti-malware Tool to delete this virus and only then try to decrypt your files.
What to Do If nothing works?
If you are not able to recover your files by any method then still there is a lot you can do.
1. Make a backup of all your files on any External drive or cloud drive.
2. Remove Qstx virus from your PC and move all infected files to an external drive.
3. Make sure there is no other infection hiding on your PC. (Scan twice with Anti-Malware).
4. Try to find any old backup of data and restore your files.
5. If you don’t have a backup, then contact your friends and family so they can check if they have any of your important files.
6. Check your smartphone or social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to find old pictures.
7. See if you can download some of your lost software, programs, games, movies, videos, audio from the web.
How to report this attack to Authorities?
If you are also a Victim of this virus then you should report this cybercrime incident to legal authorities in your county. Here is the list of some of the official government websites for reporting Cybercrime activities:
United States – Guard Online
Australia – SCAMwatch
United Kingdom – Action Fraud
New Zealand – Consumer Affairs Scams
Canada – Canadian Anti-Fraud
Ireland – An Garda Síochána
India – National Cybercrime Reporting Portal
You can also search to find the Internet Crime Authority in your country. Meanwhile, it will not help you remove or restore your files in any way but it’s merely information to authorities. Once you register your complaint, authorities might look into and take preventive measures to stop further attacks. However, don’t get lured by third-party criminal reporting sites or fake technical support websites. They are more like to cheat you instead of helping you.