Protectdevice.org is a malicious domain that tricks users into allowing its fake browser notifications. It shows tons of unwanted pop-up ads causing forced browser redirection on infected PC. This threat can bring more threats to the infected system and expose users’ privacy. Read this guide to know how to get rid of Protectdevice.org pop-up ads virus completely.
What is Protectdevice.org?
Protectdevice.org is a harmful computer virus. It sneaks into your PC and modifies your browser settings without your consent. It shows lots of fake pop-ups, ads, offers, warning messages, notifications, etc. that redirect your browser to malicious sites. This redirect malware is able to infect all Windows computers very easily. It is aimed to promote dubious sites through forced browser redirections to make an illegal profit.
Protectdevice.org will keep showing irrelevant ads on any webpage you visit. It will also open new tab ads, and force you to “Allow” push notifications or install malicious extensions. It can infect all famous browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, MS Edge, Safari, and others. Forced browser redirections and intrusive ads will soon follow after the infection.
Usually, computer users fail to conclude the reason behind unexpected browser behavior. They often restart their PC thinking the problem would go away on its own. Unfortunately, they soon realize that their system got attacked by a virus. Extensions causing such problems often get installed by malware under different names. This is why users get confused and struggle to solve the problem.
Working of Protectdevice.org
This suspicious domain gets access to your browser by installing malicious extensions. The main goal of this infection is to generate traffic for questionable and unsafe third-party websites to earn revenue. The process starts with showing some pop-up ads, banners, offers, notifications, etc. on the infected. Then asking for users’ permission to show more notifications and then forced redirection of searches, full page ads, opening new pages automatically, etc.
Whenever you will open any webpage, some ads will appear on your screen. You will try to close those Protectdevice.org ads, then multiple new tabs advertisements will get opened. This is quite harassing and also could be very dangerous. Those sites that get opened without your permission, could load other malware on your system. They can install other malicious extensions or trigger the download of more harmful threats like Trojan or Ransomware.
Random redirects often do not cause much of a concern for most users. In the case of Protectdevice.org, you must be very careful. Any unwanted pop-up or forced redirection of your browser is an indication of a malware attack. Therefore, if you see unwanted pop-up ads on your browser then immediately scan your PC for threats.
How does it infect your PC?
Protectdevice.org mostly gets distributed through suspicious methods. Creators of this malware use software bundling to spread it on the Internet. When users download such bundled freeware programs, it automatically gets installed. Spam email attachments could also be used to spread threats like this. Do not open any email attachment without scanning and do not click on any suspicious links.
Protectdevice.org could also get distributed via other similar threats and redirect malware. Browsing torrent or porn sites often cause such forced redirects which can result in the download of malware on your PC. Do not download any pirated or cracked software on your system, because they often have hidden malware and threats. Sharing files on an unsafe network (peer-to-peer file sharing), illegal patches for games or fake software updates could also bring this threat to your PC.
So the safety of your computer is in your hand. You can avoid these kinds of activities by paying a little bit of extra attention while using your PC. Always choose the Custom or Advanced installation process to avoid the installation of hidden programs. Do not open spam emails from unknown senders. Invest in good security software and do regular of your system for threats and viruses. You can check more security tips at end of this article to avoid further attacks.
Why it is dangerous for your PC?
Protectdevice.org does not only bothers you while web browsing. It can do major damage to your system if you allow this threat to stay on your PC for long. It can also disable your installed anti-virus and firewall program. So it can stay hidden in your PC without detection. This cunning threat can also track online activities and steal your personal information.
Protectdevice.org can gather your online banking details, credit card number, IP address, etc. without your knowledge. It can share those details with cybercriminals for making illegal profits. This can lead to identity theft or bank fraud. This nasty redirect malware can risk your system security and privacy. You are advised to delete Protectdevice.org virus from your PC as soon as possible.
How to Remove Protectdevice.org Virus
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type msconfig in the Run Box then click the OK button.
- Click on the Boot tab to open the System configuration window.
- Choose Safe Boot, check the network box, Click Apply, and press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type taskmgr in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Find Protectdevice.org related or any malicious process.
- Now right-click on it then click End process.
Uninstall Protectdevice.org from Windows PC
- First of all Press Windows Key + R buttons together.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Run box and then click the OK button.
- Now Programs and Features windows will appear on the screen.
- Find and remove all Protectdevice.org related or malicious programs.
Remove Virus related Windows Registry entries
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type regedit in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Registry Editor will open, then press CTRL +F buttons together.
- Now type Protectdevice.org and then click on Find Next button.
- Find all the related entries and delete them one by one
Remove Protectdevice.org From Browser
Most of the time, threats like this make several changes to the browser which helps it to track victims’ online activities. It is important to completely remove the virus from the browser or it may come back. Follow the below steps to remove this infection from your browser.
Delete Malicious Extensions From Browser
Many spyware now has browser hijacking capabilities to show ads, offers, alerts, notifications, or steal the personal information of the victim. Follow the below steps to remove malicious extensions from your browser.
Remove Protectdevice.org From Google Chrome
Note: Type or copy-paste –
chrome://extensions in the URL bar of Google Chrome then press ENTER button to open the extensions page directly or follow the below steps.
- Open your Google Chrome browser, and click the Menu (⋮) option from the upper right corner.
- Select More tools then click on the Extensions option to find all installed Extensions on chrome.
- Choose virus related extensions then click the trash can icon to remove them completely.
Eliminate Protectdevice.org From Mozilla Firefox
Note: Type or copy-paste –
about:addons in URL bar Firefox then hit ENTER button to open the extensions page directly or follow the below steps.
- Open your Mozilla Firefox browser, and click on Menu (☰) option from the upper right corner.
- Select Add-ons option from the drop-down menu of the list.
- Choose the Extensions option to see all installed extensions on your browser.
- Choose virus related extensions then click on the Remove button.
Remove Protectdevice.org From Microsoft Edge
- Open your MS Edge browser, and click on More Tools (⋮) option from the upper right corner.
- Select the Extensions option from the drop-down menu to see extensions on your browser.
- Choose virus related extension then click on Uninstall button to remove it.
Remove Protectdevice.org From Apple Safari
- Open your Safari browser then tap on the Preferences option from the Safari menu.
- Open the Extensions tab, find virus related extensions then click Uninstall button.
- Finally, again click the Uninstall button to remove the extension completely.
Delete Protectdevice.org From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer then click on Menu option from the upper right corner.
- Select the manage Add-ons option from the drop-down list to see the installed extension.
- Find all virus related or malicious extensions and click on Disable button to remove them.
Reset Browser Setting to Default
Once you remove Protectdevice.org from your browser, you might want to reset the browser to default settings to reset any changes made by the virus. Follow the below steps for that :
Google Chrome Web Browser Reset
- Open Google Chrome, click on Menu (⋮) then select the Settings option.
- Scroll down to the bottom, and hit the Show Advanced settings option.
- From Reset and clean up click on Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Finally, click on the Reset Settings button to reset your chrome browser.
Mozilla Firefox Browser Reset
- Open your Mozilla Firefox browser, click on Menu (☰) option and select the (?) icon.
- Click on the Troubleshooting Information option from the drop-down menu.
- Then press the Refresh Firefox button and give confirmation.
MS Edge Browser Reset
- Open the MS Edge browser, click on More Tools (⋮) option, and select settings.
- Click on Choose what to clear Option, choose the first three options then click on the Clear button.
Reset Safari To Default
- Open your Safari browser, tap on the Safari menu, and select the Reset Safari option.
- Now check all the boxes and then finally click on the Reset button.
Reset Internet Explorer Browser
- Open your Internet Explorer then click on Menu icon and hit Internet options.
- Visit the Advanced tab then click the Reset button.
- Check the Delete personal settings option, and hit the Reset button.
How to Enable Browser Protection
Follow the below steps to enable built-in dangerous site protection in your web browsers to block threats like Protectdevice.org. You can follow the same steps if you want to stop the malware protection on your browser.
Google Chrome – Dangerous Sites Protection
- Open your Chrome web browser, type
chrome://settingsin the URL bar, and press Enter.
- Got to bottom of the page and select the “Show advanced settings” option.
- Look for the Privacy and security section then click on Sync and Google services.
- Now turn on the Safe Browsing (Protect you and your device from dangerous sites) option.
Safari Browser – Change Security preferences in Safari
- Open your Safari web browser, then tap on the Safari menu and select Preferences.
- Now you have to open the Security options on your Safari browser.
- Check Warn When Visiting a Fraudulent website box from the Fraudulent Sites section.
Mozilla Firefox – Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
- Open your Firefox web browser, click on Menu (☰) and select Options from the list.
- Now click on the Security option and then select the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries
Edge Browser – Activate SmartScreen Filter
- Open your MS Edge web browser, and click on More (⋮) icon from the upper right corner.
- Click on the Settings option from the Edge menu drop-down list.
- Scroll down and find the View Advanced Settings option then open it.
- Turn ON the “help protect my PC from malicious sites and downloads with SmartScreen Filter” option.
Internet Explorer – Activate Microsoft SmartScreen Filter
- Open your IE web browser, then click on Menu icon and hit Safety options.
- Now click on the SmartScreen Filter option from the drop-down list.
- Turn on SmartScreen Filter and restart your browser.
If you made these settings on your browser then phishing and malware protection on your browser is now active. But it does not mean that your computer cannot get infected by threats. These settings may block some dangerous and suspicious sites but there are other ways through which hackers can target your PC. So you must download a powerful Anti-Malware application on your computer that provides real-time protection to ensure your system security.
Automatic Protectdevice.org Removal Guide
As you already know, Protectdevice.org is a notorious and cunning malware that is not hard to remove easily by any user through manual means. This virus can keep coming back on the infected computer through files and shortcuts or settings that it has already created on your machine. Removing all those at once is the only way to get rid of this infection and stop it from getting into your system ever again.
So the best way to remove Protectdevice.org effectively is to use a powerful Automatic Removal Tool and save your time and efforts. This software is a well-trusted and very powerful anti-malware program that can detect all hidden threats like Trojan, Ransomware, Worms, Spyware, Rootkits, and many others. It also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real-time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware updates make it most effective against the latest malware attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- First, you need to click on the below download button to get the software.
- Click twice on the installer you downloaded to start installing the program n your PC.
- Upon installation, launch the SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware and then start a new scan of your system by clicking on the Start Scan Now button.
- The software will take some time to thoroughly scan your PC for any or all kinds of threats hiding on your system.
- Once the scan is complete, you will see a detailed report of malware detection. Click on the Next button to delete Protectdevice.org and other threats.
Tips To Prevent Similar Threats in Future
- Use a good anti-virus, be it a free version but don’t use cracked security programs.
- Make sure that your Windows firewall is active, so it can block upcoming threats.
- Keep your Windows OS and other programs updated to avoid vulnerabilities.
- Download updates only from official websites, don’t use suspicious sites.
- Never download and install pirated software, games, or illegal patches on your PC.
- Do not open spam emails from an unknown sender and scan all attachments before opening.
- Never download freeware third-party programs from unreliable sources or websites.
- Avoid connecting your PC to unsafe public Wi-Fi to protect your privacy.
- You can also use a VPN to spoof your connection and avoid malicious sites.
- Create a system restore point on your system for security purposes.
- Keep a backup of all your important files to avoid data loss.