Searchlee is a Mac virus which can downgrade your computer performance and risk your privacy. It is capable of showing unwanted and annoying advertisements on Safari, Google Chrome, and Firefox browser. It can bring other dangerous threats on your Mac if not removed on time. Read this guide to know how to delete Searchlee virus from your Mac.
What is Searchlee
Searchlee is an unsafe domain being promoted as a legitimate search provider by cyber crooks. It can be easily classified as a browser hijacker infection that manipulates users web browsing to generate illegal revenue.
Once inside your mac, it will firstly infect you main web browser whether it is Chrome, Safari or Firefox. It will modify your browser settings like default search engine, homepage and cookie setting. It will allow permissions to show unwanted notifications and pop-ups to malicious websites. Whenever you will open your browser to surf Internet, Searchlee will appear as default page or open a new tab on your browser.
It will show lots of sponsored search result which clearly compromise the chances of you getting desired and real results of queries you are looking for. You most often end up visiting sponsored websites with fake promotions and could get cheated into buying low quality service or products.
Searchlee on Mac
Searchlee is yet another potentially unwanted program (PUP) for MacOS. This dubious threat is capable of silently intruding your Mac and modify several important settings. It can hijack the main web browser on your mac device to show unwanted ads during web browsing. Most of the users have reported Searchlee as an unreliable and misleading program with persistent nature of showing excessive amount of annoying advertisements on the system.
Like any other unwanted program, Searchlee sneaks into your Mac through illegal means. It will hide into your system and make several unwanted changes without your permission. At first, you might notice some common ads while browsing Internet, then some pop-up and notification will start showing asking you to click on some links or download some other programs. Actually it is a tactics used by Searchlee virus to earn commission by referring to other sites or unwanted programs. Many people might ignore such behavior, but these actions can lead to further malware infiltration.
Is Searchlee is harmful
Searchlee itself may not be harmful malware but it sure cause lots of problems. It will bombard your computer screen with lots of unwanted and annoying pop-up ads, banners, offers, surveys, deals, notifications, alerts and etc. Clicking on such advertisement may redirect your browser on harmful websites that host malicious scripts. Your computer can get infected by dangerous threats like Trojan, Ransomware, Spyware and others.
Since Searchlee has the tendency to make unauthorized changes to computer and browser settings, security expert consider it as a harmful threat. It is hard to tell if any program is dangerous or not by first look but users soon find out its evil work. Well, its only motive is to take advantage of your online activities and make illegal profit through click baits.
It can help cyber crooks to drive illegal traffic to sponsored sites using whatever method necessary like showing ads, redirecting searches, opening new tab ads and installing new browser extensions for forced web redirection. Moreover, it promotes several malicious links on your browsing screen which can automatically prompt the download and installation of malicious programs without your permission.
What to do after detection
Best course of action after detecting any such activity is uninstall the application first. But most of the time it is not as easy to remove programs like Searchlee like any other legitimate programs. This kind of threats create multiple files on the operating system to avoid their removal at once. Usually, when a threat like this alter your Mac, it first try modifying primary browser settings which includes changing the homepage and pointing the main search engine to a fake one. Searchlee virus will try to stop you from accessing the legitimate search tools like Google, Yahoo, or Bing.
Being as an adware infection, it can easily deteriorate user’s web browsing experience by showing tons of unwanted and annoying ads, pop-ups, banners, surveys and so on. Promotional materials delivered by Searchlee will not slow down your Mac but also cause forced redirection of your browser on suspicious websites. Cybercriminals often deploy such methods to bring extra traffic to their websites to generate revenue and spread malware online.
Risks related to potentially unwanted programs
Some people may ignore the ads and browser redirection caused by Searchlee virus but its is not good for their system. There are many risks of this type of infection which may not be clear at the time but can cause serious damage later. Firstly these kind of PUPs are used for malware distribution through ads which most of the people might ignore to acknowledge. It may bring harmful programs on your Mac without your knowing.
Browser hijacking also gives Searchlee virus complete authority to monitor users’ online activities and collect personal data. It can gather all the surfing history, search queries, saved passwords, Geo-location, IP address and other crucial information. It may also transfer those collected information to remote server to be used to personalized ads or sold to third parties. Your complete privacy can be at risk in no time and you might become a victim of cyber fraud. It is very important to get rid of Searchlee, if you want to protect your privacy and system security.
Searchlee extension and hidden files
Upon successful infiltration of your Mac, Searchlee may bring some add-ons or extensions on your computer. It may also create some hidden files in system library due to which it may come back after removal. So you will need to delete all the related files for success elimination of this threat from your Mac. You might need to combine both the manual and automatic removal process to effectively remove this threat. You can find this browser hijacker operating as an Searchlee extension.
Searchlee : Threat Analysis
Searchlee distribution is a bit tricky
Most of the people might ask how this infection first came on their Mac if they never downloaded it. So they need to understand that developers of threats like Searchlee are highly motivated to illegal profit online. They use PPC campaigns to promote their dubious program and most ads are not checked for any malicious codes or programs. Software bundling is also a very common method used by cybercriminals to promote unwanted potentially dangerous program. Browsing to porn or torrent sites and downloading to cracked software or illegal files may bring this Searchlee infection on your system. Clicking on misleading ads and pop-ups or allowing to fake push notification may also drop malicious codes on your computer.
Block Searchlee virus on your Mac
As you know harmful intentions of this nasty malware, it is advised to block this virus on your Mac. You need to take quick action to eliminate Searchlee and stop all the ads, pop-ups and redirection caused by this programs. It is very important for the safety of your computer as well as your privacy. It might not easy to remove it, so we suggest combining automatic and manual removal methods for successful elimination of Searchlee mac virus. Using a powerful anti-malware tool will a good idea as it will not only save your time and efforts but also ensure complete removal of the virus. We have create a step-by-step guide to guide you through the process.
Automatic Searchlee Removal Guide
As you already know that, Searchlee is a notorious and cunning malware which is not hard to remove easily by any user through manual means. This virus can keep coming back on the infected computer through files and shortcuts or settings that it has already created on your machine. Removing all those at once is the only way to get rid of this infection and stop it from getting on your system ever again.
So the best way to remove Searchlee effectively is to use a powerful Automatic Removal Tool and save your time and efforts. This software is a well trusted and very powerful anti-malware program which can detect all hidden threats like Trojan, Ransomware, Worms, Spyware, Rootkits and many others. It is a pretty advanced and effective Mac optimization tool which also provides 24X7 customer support. ComboCleaner is the best app to ensure your Mac safety and keep it fast like new always. If you value your Mac then it is the most important application for you. Try this software once and you will never have to worry about any malware attacks.
How Automatic Removal Works
- First download the Anti-malware by clicking on below button.
Some time threats like Searchlee keep getting back on the machine, if all associated files are not removed. So you are advised to use a powerful Malware Removal Tool to run a thorough scan of your Mac and delete all threats at once.ComboCleaner Mac Antivirus allows you to scan your mac for threats and viruses for free, but you will need to purchase full license to remove found threats. Read EULA.
- Drag installer file to the Applications folder for installation.
- Launch the Program, open Antivirus tab then select Scan Mode and click on Start Scan button.
- Software will run the scan to find all hidden threats, then click on Remove All Threats button.
Manual Searchlee Removal Guide
Stop Malicious Program From Activity Monitor
- First you need to open Utilities folder on your Mac system.
- Find the Activity Monitor icon and double-click on it to open.
- Find Searchlee related process, click cross button from upper left side corner to end task.
- A pop-up dialogue box will appear on screen, click on Force Quit button.
Remove Searchlee From Application Folder
- First go to Dock option (bottom of your screen) then click on Finder App.
- Now you have to open the Applications Folders to see all the programs.
- Find Searchlee or any other unwanted program then move it to Trash.
Remove Searchlee Related Files From MacWhen any program is installed on your Mac, it creates several files on your system that support the functioning of that application. If you need to remove virus from your Mac, then you need to delete all related files completely. These files could be found at :
- Application Support
- First of all press the Command+Shift+G buttons together on your keyboard.
- Now you can see Go To Folder option on your Mac screen.
- Type in /Library/LaunchAgents in text field and click on Go button.
- Find and remove any Searchlee related or malicious file.
Attention : Don’t go meddling around and deleting files that you know about. Removing any wrong file may damage your Mac. So your advised to download ComboCleaner Mac Anti-Malware and run a thorough scan of your system for threats and viruses.ComboCleaner Mac Antivirus allows you to scan your mac for threats and viruses for free, but you will need to purchase full license to remove found threats. Read EULA.
Remove Infection From Your Browser
Threats like Searchlee often install malicious extensions to the browser on infected machine and make several unwanted changes to the browser settings. You might experience forced browser redirection, lots of annoying pop-up ads and commercials on your browser due to this. You will need to remove the infection from your browser to put an end to such activities and block regeneration of malware on your system.
Remove Searchlee From Apple Safari
- Open Safari browser then tap on Preferences option from Safari menu.
- Open the Extensions tab, find Searchlee related extensions then click Uninstall button.
- Finally again click the Uninstall button to remove the extension completely.
Reset Safari To Default
- Open Safari browser, tap on Safari menu and select Reset Safari option.
- Now check all the boxes and then finally click on Reset button.
Remove Searchlee From Google Chrome
Note : Type or copy-paste –
chrome://extensions in the URL bar of Google Chrome then press ENTER button to open extensions page directly or follow below steps.
- Open Google Chrome browser, click the Menu (⋮) option from upper right corner.
- Select More tools then click on Extensions option to find all installed Extensions on chrome.
- Choose Searchlee related extensions then click the trash can () icon to remove completely.
Reset Google Chrome Web Browser
- Open Google Chrome, click on Menu (⋮) then select settings option.
- On Settings page, scroll down to bottom, click Show Advanced settings option.
- From Reset and clean up click on Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Finally click on Reset Settings button to reset your chrome browser.
Remove Searchlee From Mozilla Firefox
Note : Type or copy-paste –
about:addons in URL bar Firefox then hit ENTER button to open extensions page directly or follow below steps.
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser, click on Menu (☰) option from upper right corner.
- Select Add-ons option from drop down menu the list.
- Choose Extensions option to see all installed extensions on your browser.
- Choose Searchlee related extensions then click on Remove button.
Reset Mozilla Firefox Browser
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser, click on Menu (☰) option and select (?) icon.
- Click on Troubleshooting Information option from drop down menu.
- Then press the Refresh Firefox button and give confirmation.
Once you are done with these settings hopefully your problem is solved. If not, then you can also always download the Mac Anti-virus Program mentioned in this article to get rid of all the threats and viruses automatically. You can also take some precautions to avoid similar malware attacks in future. Follow the below steps to improve security of your Mac system.
Tips To Prevent Searchlee in Future
- Use a good anti-virus, be it a free version but don’t use cracked software.
- Make sure that your firewall is active, so it can block upcoming threats.
- Keep your OS and other programs updated to avoid vulnerabilities.
- Download updates only from official websites, don’t use suspicious sites.
- Never download and install pirated software, games or illegal patches on your Mac.
- Do not open spam mails from unknown sender and scan all attachments before opening.
- Never download freeware third-party programs from unreliable sources or websites.
- Avoid connecting your Mac to unsafe public Wi-Fi to protect your privacy.
- You can also use a VPN to spoof your connection and avoid malicious sites.
- Create a system restore point on your system for security purpose.
- Keep backup of all your important files to avoid data loss.