Vveo is a rapidly spreading ransomware virus. This virus has infected a lot of computers very recently. It belongs to the Stop/Djvu family and uses a very advanced encryption algorithm. It encrypts users’ data to render all the files useless and demands ransom money for decryption.
Vveo ransomware appends the “.vveo” extension to encrypted files. For example, after encrypting a file named “myphoto.jpg”, it renames it to “myphoto.jpg.vveo”. Ransomware also leaves “_readme.txt” ransom notes in all compromised folders.
The ransom note contains a threatening message and cybercriminals’ contact details. It asks users to contact attackers via email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. It is asking $980 in Bitcoin for the private key and decrypt software.
What is Vveo Virus?
Vveo is a very notorious file-encrypting malware. It is a dangerous and rapidly spreading malware. It uses a powerful military-grade encryption algorithm to lock files on infected PC. This virus takes all your files hostage and demands a huge sum of money as ransom.
This virus is aimed to extort money from innocent victims. Files affected by this threat contain the “.Vveo” extension at the end. You can see your files on your system but cannot access them. You will need a private key and decryption software to restore your files to their original formats.
This Vveo virus is quite effective. It can encrypt all types of files like images, videos, music, documents, databases, backups, etc. After encrypting your personal files, it also generates the “_readme.txt” file. It is a ransom note that contains information about how to contact attackers and buy decryption tools.
It will ask you that your files are encrypted but you can restore them for a price. The Ransom note says that there is but one method to recover your files. You will need to buy decryption tools and as proof of their software, they are willing to decrypt one file for free.
The price of the Vveo Ransomware decryptor is set to $980 to be paid in BitCoin (cryptocurrency). Attackers are also throwing a discount of 50% for those who are willing to pay within 72 hours. It is the biggest scam of this virus to lure more users into paying ransom money.
Working of Vveo Files Virus
Vveo silently intrudes on your PC and scans your entire hard drive for files. Then it starts the encryption of your data. This process happens so fast that users don’t even notice. Once it makes all your files inaccessible, then it leaves the ransom note in all compromised folders.
You can see the “.Vveo” extension at the end of all your files. No matter it is a video or picture or database or any other file. You will find that all your files icons got changed. All your files will still be there on your system but in encrypted form. You can see them but cannot access them with any of your system programs.
If you try to rename your files by removing the extension, data can get corrupted. You will need a decryptor to restore your files to their original formats. Unfortunately, there is no free Vveo Decryptor available right now. If you will try to restore your files through the backup, this virus will encrypt them too.
Contents of the “_Readme.txt” ransom note
Vveo virus creates the ransom note “_readme.txt” after encrypting all your files. You can find this note in almost every compromised folder. This note simply explains that all your files are now encrypted and you cannot access them.
Attackers claim to have a decryption tool that can restore your files. But they want you to pay for the software beforehand. You can also find that they are offering to decrypt 1 file for free as proof that the decryptor works. The price for the decryption software and the private key is $980.
Victims who will pay within 72 hours will get a discount of 50% which means the price for them will be $490. You can also find the email addresses of cybercriminals on which you can write them to buy the decryptor. Criminals also threaten that you will never be able to restore your data without paying ransom money.
Ransom note “_readme.txt” contains the following text message :
ATTENTION! Don't worry, you can return all your files! All your files like pictures, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key. The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you. This software will decrypt all your encrypted files. What guarantees you have? You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free. But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information. You can get and look video overview decrypt tool: hxxps://we.tl/t-aMsnHoiJcO Price of private key and decrypt software is $980. Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours, that's price for you is $490. Please note that you'll never restore your data without payment. Check your e-mail "Spam" or "Junk" folder if you don't get answer more than 6 hours. To get this software you need write on our e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Reserve e-mail address to contact us: email@example.com Your personal ID: -
How does it infect your computer?
You must be wondering how this virus infected your PC? There are a lot of ways through which this Vveo virus has compromised your system. Cybercriminals use various ways to spread their creation online and target a huge number of computers.
Spam email campaigns are one the most used methods. Attackers create fake emails containing malicious attachments and use software to send them to lots of people at once. They buy email lists and create emails pretending to be some company or famous person. When you get such junk emails, do not open attachments without scanning and do not click on any links.
Cybercriminals also use software bundling to spread malware. If you are downloading any freeware application from a shady website then always used Custom or Advanced installation. They often contain hidden programs that automatically get installed without permission.
Cracked or pirated software, themes, and games also contain threats like Trojan to spoof the license. They can spread malware like Vveo virus quite easily. Also do not visit porn or torrent websites and avoid sharing files on unsafe networks. Clicking on misleading ads, banners, pop-ups, warnings, etc. can also lead you to suspicious sites that execute the malware on loading.
Vveo Ransomware: Threat Analysis
Why I cannot access my files?
You are not able to access your data because of a ransomware attack. Most people don’t actually know anything about ransomware infection. They have no idea how come they are not able to access any of their data. They simply think that restarting their PC would solve the problem.
But as we told you, ransomware is a file-encrypting virus. It only renders your files inaccessible to prohibits you from accessing your data. Cybercriminals demand the ransom money to give you access to your files back. So if all your files are renamed and have the “.Vveo” extension at the end, they are encrypted.
How can I restore my files?
There are ways to restore encrypted data but none of them are easy. There are some risks involved that must be considered first. Attackers are offering a decryptor that can restore your files but they are asking for a huge price. It is not easy to trust someone who has already done you harm by encrypting all your files. You cannot rely on them to keep their promise after getting paid.
You can restore your files through backup if you have one (of course). But for that, you need to remove this Vveo Ransomware from your computer first. Otherwise, it will keep encrypting your files and it can also infect your backup. So it is very important to get rid of the virus to start the recovery process.
You might think reinstalling your Windows can remove this virus. It is a bad idea because you will not be able to restore your files then. Also, this virus can hide in other drives and attack your system again. Wiping off your computer could remove this threat but again you cannot restore your data.
So you need to remove this Vveo Ransomware first from your PC. Then create a backup of your encrypted files on any USB drive or Cloud drive for safekeeping. Then proceed with the data restoration through backup. if you don’t have any backup then try data recovery software.
Why you should not pay ransom money?
Paying ransom money to buy .Vveo File decryptor is not a good idea. Attackers are only interested in stealing your money and they do not care about your files. Threatening to double the ransom fee in 72 hours is a scare technique. They want to intimidate you into losing hope of restoring your data any other way.
Cybercriminals often stop communicating after getting paid. Most of the victims don’t get the decryption key after paying money. Djvu variants are also known to re-attack the previous targets. Once you use the decryptor, the virus stays on your PC and the next variant can re-encrypt your data.
You need to completely get rid of this Vveo infection to stop further damage. Decryptors don’t always work, sometimes data get corrupted, so it is not sure that you will get your files back. We advise you not to trust the attackers, no matter how desperate you are, and don’t risk losing your money too.
How to protect your PC from Vveo Ransomware
Protection from threats like the Vveo virus is very crucial. You need to be ready if you don’t want to get blackmailed by cybercriminals. You just need to follow some basic rules and you will never be forced by any ransomware infection.
Use a good Anti-virus program and always scan your PC for threats. Make sure that your Windows is up to date and the firewall is active. Also, keep the latest backup of all your important files on any external USB drive or cloud drive. If any ransomware attacks your system, then you can just remove the virus and restore data from backup.
Do not open spam emails from unknown senders. Always scan the attachments before opening them. Do not click on links that look suspicious. Never click on fake pop-up ads, banners, warnings, notifications, etc. that appear on your browser.
Do not download cracked software or games ever. Such programs often have virus payloads that will infect your system instantly. Avoid downloading hacks or illegal patches for games. Stop visiting porn or torrent sites because they often cause forced redirection to malicious sites.
How To Remove Vveo Virus
Vveo is a dangerous malware that can cause major damage to your computer. This nasty threat will bring several new problems to your PC. This is why it is quite imperative to delete this threat permanently before it completely damages your entire computer system. Once it manages to infiltrate your system, it will make your system vulnerable. This nasty malware is capable of bringing other harmful viruses to your system without your consent. It can completely obliterate your system performance in no time. This virus also has a tendency to hide its malicious copies at various locations on your PC under different names. It is not an easy job to find and remove those virus related files manually.
In this guide, you will find instructions for two very different techniques to get rid of Vveo infection. The first one is the Automatic Removal which is quite fast, effective and accurate. The second method is Manual Removal which usually takes lots of time, needs technical expertise, and often fails to give desired results. However, it is advised to take the help of both techniques to ensure the complete removal of the malware from your system. In case you are not handy with system operations and technical stuff, just opt for the automatic malware removal process to eliminate Vveo infection.
Automatic Vveo Virus Removal Guide
As you already know, Vveo Virus is a notorious and cunning malware that is not hard to remove easily by any user through manual means. This virus can keep coming back on the infected computer through files and shortcuts or settings that it has already created on your machine. Removing all those at once is the only way to get rid of this infection and stop it from getting into your system ever again.
So the best way to remove Vveo effectively is to use a powerful Automatic Removal Tool and save your time and efforts. This software is a well-trusted and very powerful anti-malware program that can detect all hidden threats like Trojan, Ransomware, Worms, Spyware, Rootkits, and many others. It also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real-time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware updates make it most effective against the latest malware attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- First, you need to click on the below download button to get the software.
- Then double-click on the installer you downloaded to install the program.
- Launch the Anti-Malware application and click on Start Scan Now button.
- The software will scan your PC for all hidden threats and viruses on your system.
- Click on the Next button to see results and delete Vveo and other threats.
How To Recover .Vveo Files
Now all your files got encrypted by the .Vveo Virus then you need to recover your data without paying ransom money to hackers. If your files are important then you must have created a backup and you can use that backup to recover your files. If you don’t have a backup or this virus has encrypted your backup files, then you are left to seek professional help.
As there is no Vveo ransomware decryptor available, we recommend you use powerful data recovery software to decrypt .Vveo Files. It is a risk-free and smart way. You can just download the free version and scan your PC for files. There is a high probability that it can recover most of your files in a fraction of the amount that hackers are demanding. It is also needless to say that paying hackers will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks.
- First, you need to download Data Recovery software on your PC.
- Install the program, launch it then select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- Select the location from where you want to recover data and click the Scan button.
- After the scan, the software will list all files, select them and click the Recover button.
Manual Vveo Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type msconfig in the Run Box then click the OK button.
- Click on the Boot tab then the System configuration window will appear.
- Choose Safe Boot, check the network box, Click Apply, and press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type taskmgr in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Find Vveo related or any malicious process.
- Now right-click on it then click End process.
How To Uninstall Vveo from Windows PC
- First of all Press Windows Key + R buttons together.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Run box and then click the OK button.
- Now Programs and Features windows will appear on the screen.
- Find and remove all Vveo related or malicious programs.
Warning: Do not play with Windows registry, host file or restore options if you don’t have previous experience with it. Removing wrong files may break your system entirely. So if you are not sure, then stick to the Automatic Malware Removal option.
SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware offers a 7-day fully-functional Free Trial. Credit card required, NO charge upfront. No charge if you cancel up to two business days before the trial period ends. Read SpyHunter 5 Review, and Free SpyHunter Remover details.
Remove Virus related IP addresses from Hosts’ Files
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now open the host file with Notepad.
- Look for any suspicious IP addresses that might be related to Vveo Virus.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses and save the host files.
Remove Virus related Windows Registry entries
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type regedit in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Registry Editor will open, then press CTRL +F buttons together.
- Now type Vveo and then click on Find Next button.
- Find all the related entries and delete them one by one
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When a threat gets on to a PC, it most likely creates some files at different locations on the system. These files are used to perform a specific action and also help malware in getting back to the computer once it’s removed. So you just need to find also delete all those files associated with this .Vveo File Virus. Carefully follow the below instruction :
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard
- Type each of the following in Run Box and press the OK button
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the .Vveo File Virus and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files.
Remove Vveo Virus via system restore
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type cmd in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- When the System Restore window opens on your computer screen click the Next button, then choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, click on the Yes button to start the system restoration process.
Note: This will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC or it will give an error message. Restoring the computer to a previous version may or may not remove .Vveo File Virus. Most of the time, viruses just delete all the restore points. If this trick does not work for you then don’t get disappointed.
After restoring your computer, we recommend you run a thorough scan of the PC using a Powerful Anti-Malware program to detect and remove any hidden threats. In most cases, viruses may spread through any files outside of the C drive because system restoring only affect the C drive. There may be some Virus related files hiding your PC, and it never hurts to double-check.
Sometimes, system restore doesn’t work or viruses can just remove the restore points. As such you will probably have no other choice than to choose the Automatic Removal Process. It is the best and error-free method to find and remove threats from your computer. Additionally, you should also check some important malware prevention tips provided here in this guide to avoid similar virus attacks in the future.
Remove Vveo Virus From MacOS
If you are a mac user, and your machine got infected by this nasty file-encrypting malware then you need to remove it as soon as possible. Although Mac systems are quite safe they still do get infected. So you can delete this infection using the below steps:
Stop Malicious Program From Activity Monitor
- First, you need to open Utilities folder on your Mac system.
- Find the Activity Monitor icon and double-click on it to open it.
- Find Vveo related process, click the cross button from the upper left side corner to end task.
- A pop-up dialogue box will appear on the screen, click on the Force Quit button.
Remove Virus From Application Folder
- First, go to the Dock option (bottom of your screen) then click on Finder App.
- Now you have to open the Applications Folders to see all the programs.
- Find Vveo or any other unwanted program then move it to Trash.
Remove Vveo Virus Related Files From Mac
When any program is installed on your Mac, it creates several files on your system that support the functioning of that application. If you need to remove any virus from your Mac, then you need to delete all related files completely. These files could be found at :
- Application Support
Follow the below steps to remove virus related files from these locations:
- First of all press the Command+Shift+G buttons together on your keyboard.
- Now you can see Go To Folder option on your Mac screen.
- Type in /Library/LaunchAgents in the text field and click on Go button.
- Find and remove any Vveo Virus related or malicious file.
Now follow the same process for Application Support and LaunchDaemons folders. But be careful, don’t delete any important files or you can break down your entire system.
Attention: If you are not tech-savvy, then it could be quite difficult to remove Vveo File Virus manually from your Mac. The best way is to download SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware and see if it can detect all hidden threats and viruses on your computer. It’s really super easy and you should give it a try.
How SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware Works
- First, download the SpyHunter for Mac by clicking on the below button.
- Now go to the Download Folder from the Docs and Install the SpyHunter Anti-Malware For Mac.
- Launch the Program, and click on Start Scan Now button.
- The software will start running a full scan of your mac instantly to look for any malware, virus, threats, malicious programs or security risks, and so on.
- Finally, you will see a list of malware detected on your mac, now click on the Next button to start the removal process.
Tips To Prevent .Vveo Virus in Future
- Use a good anti-virus, be it a free version but don’t use cracked security programs.
- Make sure that your Windows firewall is active, so it can block upcoming threats.
- Keep your Windows/Mac OS and other programs updated to avoid vulnerabilities.
- Download updates only from official websites, don’t use suspicious sites.
- Never download and install pirated software, games, or illegal patches on your PC.
- Do not open spam emails from an unknown sender and scan all attachments before opening.
- Never download freeware third-party programs from unreliable sources or websites.
- Avoid connecting your PC to unsafe public Wi-Fi to protect your privacy.
- You can also use a VPN to spoof your connection and avoid malicious sites.
- Create a system restore point on your system for security purposes.
- Keep a backup of all your important files to avoid data loss.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is .Vveo File Virus Ransomware?
Vveo Virus is a Ransomware infection that encrypts all the files on an infected PC such as Videos, photos, music, databases, documents, backup, etc. After that, it forces victims’ to pay huge ransom money for the decryption key. It is the latest variant of STOP/DJVU Ransomware infection. It adds its own “.Vveo” extension to all your files and also ransom note “_Readme.txt” in all compromised folders.
How did Vveo Virus infected my computer?
Hackers behind this threat can use several techniques to spread this malware. Usually, threats like Vveo Virus intrude on your computer through Bundled Freeware programs, Spam emails, cracked software, illegal patches, fake software updates, clicking on suspicious links, and visiting porn or torrent sites.
How can I open “.Vveo” files?
Unfortunately, you cannot open “.Vveo” files without decrypting them first. All your files are encrypted and you need a decipher or decryption key to unlock those files before accessing them.
Are my files completely lost?
No, your files are still there on your computer but you simply don’t have access. Vveo virus has encrypted your files and they can only be accessed after using a decrypting key for which hackers are demanding the ransom money.
How to decrypt .Vveo Files?
There is no perfect Vveo ransomware decryptor available currently which can restore all your files. But we have suggested a quite effective Vveo File Recovery method in this guide which you can follow to recover your files. But don’t try to restore your data without removing the virus because it will keep encrypting your files.
How to Remove Vveo Ransomware Virus?
It could be quite hard to remove this infection from computers, especially for non-technical users. We have shared several tips on removing this threat manually in this guide which you can use. If you have no prior experience with virus removal then feel free to Download Vveo Ransomware Virus Removal Tool. It is the safest and easiest way to remove this infection from your PC.
Can I reinstall Windows to remove Vveo virus and decrypt files?
If you will reinstall your Windows then it might remove the infection from your computer but you will not be able to recover your files. If you only format C Drive then the virus hiding in other drives will infect your system again. You have to use a powerful Anti-malware Tool to delete this virus and only then try to decrypt your files.
What to Do If nothing works?
If you are not able to recover your files by any method then still there is a lot you can do.
1. Make a backup of all your files on any External drive or cloud drive.
2. Remove Vveo virus from your PC and move all infected files to an external drive.
3. Make sure there is no other infection hiding on your PC. (Scan twice with Anti-Malware).
4. Try to find any old backup of data and restore your files.
5. If you don’t have a backup, then contact your friends and family so they can check if they have any of your important files.
6. Check your smartphone or social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to find old pictures.
7. See if you can download some of your lost software, programs, games, movies, videos, audio from the web.
How to report this attack to Authorities?
If you are also a Victim of the Vveo virus then you should report this cybercrime incident to legal authorities in your county. Here is the list of some of the official government websites for reporting Cybercrime activities:
United States – Guard Online
Australia – SCAMwatch
United Kingdom – Action Fraud
New Zealand – Consumer Affairs Scams
Canada – Canadian Anti-Fraud
Ireland – An Garda Síochána
India – National Cybercrime Reporting Portal
You can also search to find the Internet Crime Authority in your country. Meanwhile, it will not help you remove or restore your files in any way but it’s merely information to authorities. Once you register your complaint, authorities might look into and take preventive measures to stop further attacks. However, don’t get lured by third-party criminal reporting sites or fake technical support websites. They are more like to cheat you instead of helping you.