CommonLocator is a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) that normally attack Mac computer. It is commonly referred to as a rogue adware program with browser hijacking abilities. It can make unwanted changes to your Web browser to show annoying pop-ups and adverts. Your browser can also get redirected to suspicious and questionable websites very often. In addition to this, CommonLocator can also bring other harmful threats and viruses to your Mac. Read this guide to know how to delete this infection safely from your system.
CommonLocator Mac Adware Virus
CommonLocator is classified as a malicious adware virus. It is designed to infect Mac computers and take control over browsers. It can silently intrude on your Mac without your knowledge and start making unwanted changes to system settings. This threat is aimed to show annoying pop-ups, ads, offers, banners and push notifications. It can also forcibly redirect your browser to malicious sites and trigger the download of dubious programs.
CommonLocator virus can contaminate most used browsers like Safari, Chrome, and firefox. It can also lock you out of the browser settings, so you cannot undo those malicious changes. PUPs like this one mostly focus on showing third-party ads and making illegal profits. It can replace the homepage and search engine of your default Web browser. It can also open a new tab page and custom search provider when you open your browser. PUPs like CommonLocator are often used to promote fake search engines. They mostly provide low-quality results along with loads of ads and pop-ups that cause forced redirection of the browser.
What is CommonLocator Mac Virus
CommonLocator is an obnoxious malware infection that will destroy your Mac. There is no way you can allow this infection to stay on your machine for a longer time. This dubious threat will keep lurking and tracking your online activities to make an illegal profit. It is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that also possesses browser hijacking capabilities. Many users have reported CommonLocator as an unreliable program but they also mentioned that it is not very easy to eliminate. This infection tends to come back after removal.
Upon intrusion, it will modify crucial browser and system settings including homepage, search engine, allowing notifications and pop-ups. It also opens a new tab automatically every time you open your browser. This way, CommonLocator can easily prohibit users from accessing legitimate search providers, like Google, Bing, or Yahoo. All your search queries might get redirected to some shady and unknown search provider that shows lots of sponsored results and advertisements.
As CommonLocator infection is adware, a significant amount of forced ads on your Mac can easily deteriorate your browsing experience through an endless stream of different types of Ads, offers, banners, fake surveys, pop-ups, notifications, etc. Promotion methods used by CommonLocator is not delicate, it uses very highly intrusive and annoying methods like full-screen ads and fake alerts which may disturb innocent users. The frequency of those ads will keep increasing and very soon lots of unwanted programs will find their way on your Mac without your knowledge.
How did your Mac get infected?
CommonLocator virus mostly spread through bundled freeware or shareware program that users download all the time from the Internet. Hackers mostly use cracked software, illegal patches, or fake software updates to spread threats like this on the Internet. They can also deliver viruses on your system directly through spam email attachments that contain malicious codes and execute the malware as soon as your open that email.
Your system can also get infected by the CommonLocator virus when you browse porn or torrent websites, click on misleading ads that redirect your browser on malicious websites, or while sharing files on an unsafe network where hackers put their malicious codes. Sometimes when you search for something online, you might find some ads that will offer free software and when you download, you may end up getting adware on your system that will bombard your computer with various annoying pop-up ads as the CommonLocator virus does.
Internet is full of information but it also swarming with lots of threats and malware which is looking for a way to compromise your system. So it is very important to stay vigilant and check for any bundled program every time you install software on your Mac and avoid visiting malicious websites.
CommonLocator: Threat Analysis
Why it is dangerous
Once this CommonLocator virus manages to enter your computer, it may cause serious damage. It can compromise all famous and mostly used web browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari, Edge, and others. It can install also install malicious browser extensions or add-ons that will change the homepage or search engine of your browser. This dubious CommonLocator infection can also disable your anti-virus and firewall security to make your system an easy target for other threats and malware. It could spread its malicious copies and associated files at different locations on your system to avoid complete removal.
It can create new files and library entries on your system that will help this malware in getting automatically started every time you boot your Mac. CommonLocator can track your online activities and browsing behavior to show relevant ads on your machine. It can also collect your personal and sensitive information such as your social media login ID, passwords, credit card number, IP address, and many more. It can share those details with hackers to use in illegal online activities for making a profit. So it is very important to remove CommonLocator virus from your system at the earliest to avoid all these problems.
Harmful Effects of CommonLocator Infection
- Your browser will suddenly start working slow and crashes very often.
- Various unwanted pop-up ads, banners, offers, etc. will start appearing.
- The browser homepage or search engine might get changed automatically.
- Your browser will start redirecting very often without your consent.
- New toolbars, plugins, or extensions will get installed on your browser.
- New pop-up windows will open every time you click anywhere on the page.
- Your anti-virus or firewall program will stop blocking new threats.
- Your system start-up and shout-down speed will get very slow.
- It may bring more threats and viruses to your computer.
- It can steal your personal information and send it to hackers.
How To Remove CommonLocator From Mac
CommonLocator is a dangerous malware that can cause major damage to your computer. This nasty threat will bring several new problems in your machine. This is why it is quite imperative to delete this threat permanently before it completely damages your entire computer system. Once it manages to infiltrate your Mac, it will make your system vulnerable. This nasty malware is capable of bringing other harmful viruses on your system without your consent. It can completely obliterate your system performance in no time. This virus also has tendency to hide its malicious copies at various locations on your PC under different names. It is not an easy job to find and remove those virus related files manually.
In this guide, you will find instructions for two very different techniques to get rid of CommonLocator infection . The first one is the Automatic Removal which is quite fast, effective and accurate. The second method is Manual Removal which usually takes lots of time, needs technical expertise, and often fails to give desired results. However, it is advised to take the help of both techniques to ensure the complete removal of the malware from your system. In case you are not handy with system operations and technical stuff, just opt for the automatic malware removal process to eliminate CommonLocator infection.
Automatic CommonLocator Removal Guide
As you already know that, CommonLocator is a notorious and cunning malware that is not hard to remove easily by any user through manual means. This virus can keep coming back on the infected computer through files and shortcuts or settings that it has already created on your machine. Removing all those at once is the only way to get rid of this infection and stop it from getting on your system ever again.
So the best way to remove CommonLocator effectively is to use a powerful Automatic Removal Tool and save your time and efforts. This software is a well-trusted and very powerful anti-malware program that can detect all hidden threats like Trojan, Ransomware, Worms, Spyware, Rootkits, and many others. It is a pretty advanced and effective Mac optimization tool that also provides 24X7 customer support. SpyHunter for Mac is the best app to ensure your Mac’s safety and keep it fast like new always. If you value your Mac then it is the most important application for you. Try this software once and you will never have to worry about any malware attacks.
How Automatic Removal Works
- First, download the SpyHunter Mac Anti-malware by clicking on the below button.
Some time threats like CommonLocator keep getting back on the machine if all associated files are not removed. So you are advised to use a powerful Malware Removal Tool to run a thorough scan of your Mac and delete all threats at once.
- Now go to the Download Folder from the Docs and Install the SpyHunter Anti-Malware For Mac.
- Launch the Program, and click on Start Scan Now button.
- Software will start running a full scan of your mac instantly to look for any malware, virus, threats, malicious programs or security risks, and so on.
- Finally you will see a list of malware detected on your mac, now click on Next button to start the removal process.
Manual CommonLocator Removal Guide
Stop Malicious Program From Activity Monitor
- First, you need to open Utilities folder on your Mac system.
- Find the Activity Monitor icon and double-click on it to open.
- Find CommonLocator related process, click the cross button from upper left side corner to end task.
- A pop-up dialogue box will appear on the screen, click on Force Quit button.
Remove CommonLocator From Application Folder
- First, go to the Dock option (bottom of your screen) then click on Finder App.
- Now you have to open the Applications Folders to see all the programs.
- Find CommonLocator or any other unwanted program then move it to Trash.
Remove CommonLocator Related Files From MacWhen any program is installed on your Mac, it creates several files on your system that support the functioning of that application. If you need to remove any virus from your Mac, then you need to delete all related files completely. These files could be found at :
- Application Support
- First of all press the Command+Shift+G buttons together on your keyboard.
- Now you can see Go To Folder option on your Mac screen.
- Type in /Library/LaunchAgents in the text field and click on Go button.
- Find and remove any CommonLocator related or malicious file.
Attention: Don’t go meddling around and deleting files that you don’t know about. Removing any wrong file may damage your Mac. So you are advised to download SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware and run a thorough scan of your system for threats and viruses.
Remove Infection From Your Browser
Threats like CommonLocator often install malicious extensions to the browser on the infected machine and make several unwanted changes to the browser settings. You might experience forced browser redirection, lots of annoying pop-up ads, and commercials on your browser due to this. You will need to remove the infection from your browser to put an end to such activities and block the regeneration of malware on your system.
Remove CommonLocator From Apple Safari
- Open Safari browser then tap on the Preferences option from the Safari menu.
- Open the Extensions tab, find CommonLocator related extensions then click Uninstall button.
- Finally, again click the Uninstall button to remove the extension completely.
Reset Safari To Default
- Open Safari browser, tap on Safari menu, and select Reset Safari option.
- Now check all the boxes and then finally click on the Reset button.
Remove CommonLocator From Google Chrome
Note: Type or copy-paste –
chrome://extensions in the URL bar of Google Chrome then press the ENTER button to open the extensions page directly or follow the below steps.
- Open Google Chrome browser, click the Menu (⋮) option from the upper right corner.
- Select More tools then click on Extensions option to find all installed Extensions on chrome.
- Choose CommonLocator related extensions then click the trash can icon to remove completely.
Reset Google Chrome Web Browser
- Open Google Chrome, click on Menu (⋮) then select the settings option.
- On Settings page, scroll down to the bottom, click Show Advanced settings option.
- From Reset and clean up click on Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Finally, click on Reset Settings button to reset your chrome browser.
Remove CommonLocator From Mozilla Firefox
Note: Type or copy-paste –
about:addons in URL bar Firefox then hit ENTER button to open the extensions page directly or follow the below steps.
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser, click on Menu (☰) option from the upper right corner.
- Select Add-ons option from the drop-down menu of the list.
- Choose Extensions option to see all installed extensions on your browser.
- Choose CommonLocator related extensions then click on Remove button.
Reset Mozilla Firefox Browser
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser, click on Menu (☰) option, and select (?) icon.
- Click on the Troubleshooting Information option from the drop-down menu.
- Then press the Refresh Firefox button and give confirmation.
Once you are done with these settings hopefully your problem is solved. If not, then you can also always download the Mac Anti-virus Program mentioned in this article to get rid of all the threats and viruses automatically. You can also take some precautions to avoid similar malware attacks in the future. Follow the below steps to improve the security of your Mac system.
Tips To Prevent CommonLocator in Future
- Use a good anti-virus, be it a free version but don’t use cracked software.
- Make sure that your firewall is active, so it can block upcoming threats.
- Keep your OS and other programs updated to avoid vulnerabilities.
- Download updates only from official websites, don’t use suspicious sites.
- Never download and install pirated software, games, or illegal patches on your Mac.
- Do not open spam emails from an unknown sender and scan all attachments before opening.
- Never download freeware third-party programs from unreliable sources or websites.
- Avoid connecting your Mac to unsafe public Wi-Fi to protect your privacy.
- You can also use a VPN to spoof your connection and avoid malicious sites.
- Create a system restore point on your system for security purposes.
- Keep a backup of all your important files to avoid data loss.