Is your computer infected by the Kruu Ransomware virus? Are all your files got contaminated by the “.Kruu” extension? Are you unable to get rid of this infection or unlock your files? Actually, it is a file-encrypting malware that belongs to Stop/Djvu Ransomware family.
.Kruu File Virus blackmails users to pay ransom money for a decryptor after encrypting their files. It can restrict access to all types of files, documents, videos, music, backup, database, etc. on an infected PC. You can see its malicious extension at the end of all encrypted files. You will also find the “_readme.txt” ransom note in all contaminated folders.
If you want to regain access to your data, do not pay ransom money to hackers. Read this guide to learn how to remove Kruu Virus from your computer. Know about alternative methods to restore your files without paying ransom money.
What is Kruu Virus?
Kruu File Virus is a dangerous computer infection. It belongs to the infamous Djvu family. This cunning malware infection can easily get into your computer. Like other ransomware threats, it will encrypt your data and demand ransom money. After successfully encrypting your files, it appends the “.kruu” extension to compromised files. For example, a file named “myphoto.jpg” would appear as “myphoto.jpg.kruu”, which you cannot access.
As mentioned above, you will find the “_readme.txt” ransom note on your PC. It says that all your files are encrypted and you need a private decryption key to unlock those files. The note contains instructions to contact attackers to buy the decryption tool. This nasty Kruu Virus infection will demand ransom money through Bitcoin because it cannot be tracked.
This nasty Kruu Ransomware is a really serious threat to your PC. It can corrupt all your system files and make you unable to access your data. This dubious threat will not allow you to even open your files. It will strictly prohibit any kind of access to encrypted data. If you will move your data to any external storage device still then you will get only the encrypted copy of your files. You will also not be able to access those data on any other computer.
It can also infect the other computer that you will use to access your encrypted data. So don’t try to play games with Kruu Virus. It can cost you much more. Also, take your infected PC offline immediately to protect other devices on your network. It is also not suggested to pay ransom money because it will not decrypt your files.
How it infects your PC?
Kruu File Virus can spread in different ways. It is hard to determine how it got on your system specifically. Cybercriminals mostly use software bundling and spam email campaigns to deliver such threats. When you download any freeware application from shady websites, they might carry malicious attachments. Use the custom installation process and read EULA carefully to avoid the installation of hidden programs. Do not open spam emails from unknown senders and do not click on any link or open attachments without scanning.
Apart from this, Kruu Virus can also get on your system through browsing porn or torrent sites. These kinds of sites cause unwanted and forced redirection of browsers on phishing websites. Those sites most likely host malicious scripts that trigger automatic malware downloads. Sites asking for cookie permission to show pop-up notifications can also do the same.
Downloading pirated or cracked software and games can also bring threats like Kruu Virus on your PC. These kinds of programs are created by using hack tools, a type of Trojan infection that can be used to deliver threats to the host computer. Installing illegal patches and fake software updates, sharing files on unsafe websites, and using an infected USB drive can bring this virus to your system.
Is my PC infected by Kruu Virus?
If you are unable to open your files, documents, images, videos, etc. on your PC because they have a “.Kruu” extension, then Yes, your computer is infected. These kinds of crypto-virus mainly get installed on the targeted PC through unknown installers and encrypt all the files. In the case of Kruu File Virus infection, you will find no symptoms of infection until all your files and locked.
This nasty virus scans the entire hard drive for files and then uses its powerful AES/RSA encryption algorithm to encrypt files. Upon successful encoding, it will leave ransom note “readme.txt” behind to demand the extortion fee. It claims that there is no other way to recover your data except by purchasing the private decryption key generated for your system.
Kruu Ransomware: Threat Analysis
File Encryption and Ransom Demand
Kruu Ransomware uses a very powerful encryption algorithm to encrypt your files. There is no way to break the encryption without the decryption key. Unfortunately, there is no free decryptor available for this infection even though it has been terrorizing innocent victims for a while now. Due to frequent changes to the ransomware variants, security researchers have not been able to develop any free decryptor.
Kruu File Virus infection is quite cunning and its deception is also very good. It is offering a 50% discount on the ransom fee if victims pay under 72 hours. The original price of the decryptor is $980 in Bitcoin, but one can purchase it for $490 if they within 3 days. This nasty virus is also offering decryption of 1 file for free as proof. It asks users to contact through the email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. It is a good negotiation technique because victims often try to get discount offers.
Why you should not pay ransom money?
If you are thinking of paying ransom money to .Kruu File Virus then it is a bad idea. Attackers are threatening to double the ransom fee in 72 hours. They are only trying to intimidate you and stop you from seeking help. Cybercriminals often stop communicating after getting paid. Most of the victims don’t get the decryption key after paying money.
Djvu variants are known to re-attack the previous targets. Once you use the decryptor, the virus stays on your PC and the next variant can re-encrypt your data. You need to completely get rid of this Kruu infection to stop further damage. Decryptors don’t always work, sometimes data get corrupted, so it is not sure that you will get your files back. We advise you not to trust the attackers, no matter how desperate you are, don’t risk losing your money too.
Ransom note “readme.txt” contains the following text messages :
ATTENTION! Don't worry, you can return all your files! All your files like pictures, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key. The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you. This software will decrypt all your encrypted files. What guarantees you have? You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free. But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information. You can get and look video overview decrypt tool: hxxps://we.tl/t-FglTTmgzZT Price of private key and decrypt software is $980. Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours, that's price for you is $490. Please note that you'll never restore your data without payment. Check your e-mail "Spam" or "Junk" folder if you don't get answer more than 6 hours. To get this software you need write on our e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Reserve e-mail address to contact us: email@example.com Your personal ID: -
What to do after infection?
There is no way to break the encryption but you cannot trust hackers to give you decryption tools after you pay. Although paying extortion will only boost their motive to plan more attacks like this. Most of the victims get cheated by Kruu File Virus and they don’t get the decryptor. Cybercriminals close all communication after getting the money.
So your best bet is to remove this infection completely from your PC. As far as the matter of your encrypted files are concerned, you can either recover your files through backup or try any data recovery software. You can also make a copy of your encrypted data on any cloud storage and wait for free decryption. But you need to remove Kruu Ransomware completely from your system because it will keep encrypting your files.
How To Remove Kruu Virus
Kruu File Virus is a dangerous malware that can cause major damage to your computer. This nasty threat will bring several new problems to your PC. This is why it is quite imperative to delete this threat permanently before it completely damages your entire computer system. Once it manages to infiltrate your system, it will make your system vulnerable. This nasty malware is capable of bringing other harmful viruses to your system without your consent. It can completely obliterate your system performance in no time. This virus also has a tendency to hide its malicious copies at various locations on your PC under different names. It is not an easy job to find and remove those virus related files manually.
In this guide, you will find instructions for two very different techniques to get rid of Kruu Virus infection . The first one is the Automatic Removal which is quite fast, effective and accurate. The second method is Manual Removal which usually takes lots of time, needs technical expertise, and often fails to give desired results. However, it is advised to take the help of both techniques to ensure the complete removal of the malware from your system. In case you are not handy with system operations and technical stuff, just opt for the automatic malware removal process to eliminate Kruu Ransomware.
Automatic Kruu Virus Removal Guide
As you already know, Kruu Virus is a notorious and cunning malware that is not hard to remove easily by any user through manual means. This virus can keep coming back on the infected computer through files and shortcuts or settings that it has already created on your machine. Removing all those at once is the only way to get rid of this infection and stop it from getting into your system ever again.
So the best way to remove Kruu effectively is to use a powerful Automatic Removal Tool and save your time and efforts. This software is a well-trusted and very powerful anti-malware program that can detect all hidden threats like Trojan, Ransomware, Worms, Spyware, Rootkits, and many others. It also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware updates make it most effective against the latest malware attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- First, you need to click on the below download button to get the software.
- Then double-click on the installer you downloaded to install the program.
- Launch the Anti-Malware application and press the Start Scan Now button to scan your PC.
- The software will scan your PC for all hidden threats and viruses on your system.
- Click on the Next button to see results and delete Kruu and other threats.
How To Decrypt .Kruu Files
Now all your files got encrypted by the .Kruu Virus then you need to recover your data without paying ransom money to hackers. If your files are important then you must have created a backup and you can use that backup to recover your files. If you don’t have a backup or this virus has encrypted your backup files, then you are left to seek professional help.
As there is no Kruu ransomware decryptor available, we recommend you use powerful data recovery software to decrypt .Kruu Files. It is a risk-free and smart way. You can just download the free version and scan your PC for files. There is a high probability that it can recover most of your files in a fraction of the amount that hackers are demanding. It is also needless to say that paying hackers will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks.
- First, you need to download Data Recovery software on your PC.
- Install the program, launch it then select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- Select the location from where you want to recover data and click the Scan button.
- After the scan, the software will list all files, select them and click the Recover button.
Manual Kruu Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type msconfig in the Run Box then click the OK button.
- Click on the Boot tab then the System configuration window will appear.
- Choose Safe Boot, check the network box, Click Apply, and press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type taskmgr in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Find Kruu related or any malicious process.
- Now right-click on it then click End process.
How To Uninstall Kruu from Windows PC
- First of all Press Windows Key + R buttons together.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Run box and then click the OK button.
- Now Programs and Features windows will appear on the screen.
- Find and remove all Kruu virus related or malicious programs.
SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware offers a 7-day fully-functional Free Trial. Credit card required, NO charge upfront. No charge if you cancel up to two business days before the trial period ends. Read SpyHunter 5 Review, and Free SpyHunter Remover details.
Remove Virus related IP addresses from Host Files
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now open the host file with Notepad.
- Look for any suspicious IP addresses that might be related to Kruu Virus.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses and save the host files.
Remove Virus related Windows Registry entries
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type regedit in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Registry Editor will open, then press CTRL +F buttons together.
- Now type Kruu and then click on Find Next button.
- Find all the related entries and delete them one by one
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When a threat gets onto a PC, it most likely creates some files at different locations on the system. These files are used to perform a specific action and also help malware in getting back to the computer once it’s removed. Follow the below instruction to find also delete all those files associated with this .Kruu File Virus :
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard
- Type each of the following in Run Box and press the OK button
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the .Kruu File Virus and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files.
Remove Kruu Virus via system restore
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type cmd in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- When the System Restore window opens on your computer screen click the Next button, then choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, click on the Yes button to start the system restoration process.
Note: This will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC or it will give an error message. Restoring the computer to a previous version may or may not remove .Kruu File Virus. Most of the time, viruses just delete all the restore points. If this trick does not work for you then don’t get disappointed.
After restoring your computer, we recommend you run a thorough scan of the PC using a Powerful Anti-Malware program to detect and remove any hidden threats. In most cases, viruses may spread through any files outside of the C drive because system restoring only affect the C drive. There may be some Virus related files hiding on your PC, and it never hurts to double-check.
Sometimes, system restore doesn’t work or viruses can just remove the restore points. As such you will probably have no other choice than to choose the Automatic Removal Process. It is the best and error-free method to find and remove threats from your computer. Additionally, you should also check some important malware prevention tips provided here in this guide to avoid similar virus attacks in the future.
Remove Kruu Virus From MacOS
If you are a mac user, and your machine got infected by this nasty file-encrypting malware then you need to remove it as soon as possible. Although Mac systems are quite safe they still do get infected. So you can delete this infection using the below steps:
Stop Malicious Program From Activity Monitor
- First, you need to open Utilities folder on your Mac system.
- Find the Activity Monitor icon and double-click on it to open it.
- Find Kruu related process, click the cross button from the upper left side corner to end task.
- A pop-up dialogue box will appear on the screen, click on the Force Quit button.
Remove Virus From Application Folder
- First, go to the Dock option (bottom of your screen) then click on Finder App.
- Now you have to open the Applications Folders to see all the programs.
- Find Kruu or any other unwanted program then move it to Trash.
Remove Kruu Virus Related Files From Mac
When any program is installed on your Mac, it creates several files on your system that support the functioning of that application. If you need to remove any virus from your Mac, then you need to delete all related files completely. These files could be found at :
- Application Support
Follow the below steps to remove virus related files from these locations:
- First of all press the Command+Shift+G buttons together on your keyboard.
- Now you can see Go To Folder option on your Mac screen.
- Type in /Library/LaunchAgents in the text field and click on Go button.
- Find and remove any Kruu Virus related or malicious file.
Now follow the same process for Application Support and LaunchDaemons folders. But be careful, don’t delete any important files or you can break down your entire system.
Attention: If you are not tech-savvy, then it could be quite difficult to remove Kruu File Virus manually from your Mac. The best way is to download SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware and see if it can detect all hidden threats and viruses on your computer. It’s really super easy and you should give it a try.
How SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware Works
- First, download the SpyHunter for Mac by clicking on the below button.
Some threats like Kruu Virus keep getting back on the machine if all associated files are not removed. So you are advised to use a powerful Malware Removal Tool to run a thorough scan of your Mac and delete all threats at once.
SpyHunter for Mac offers a 15-day fully-functional Free Trial. Credit card required, NO charge upfront. No charge if you cancel up to two business days before the trial period ends. Read SpyHunter for Mac Review, and Free SpyHunter Remover details.
- Now go to the Download Folder from the Docs and Install the SpyHunter Anti-Malware For Mac.
- Launch the Program, and click on Start Scan Now button.
- The software will start running a full scan of your mac instantly to look for any malware, virus, threats, malicious programs or security risks, and so on.
- Finally, you will see a list of malware detected on your mac, now click on the Next button to start the removal process.
Tips To Prevent .Kruu Virus in Future
- Use a good anti-virus, be it a free version but don’t use cracked security programs.
- Make sure that your Windows firewall is active, so it can block upcoming threats.
- Keep your Windows/Mac OS and other programs updated to avoid vulnerabilities.
- Download updates only from official websites, don’t use suspicious sites.
- Never download and install pirated software, games, or illegal patches on your PC.
- Do not open spam emails from an unknown sender and scan all attachments before opening.
- Never download freeware third-party programs from unreliable sources or websites.
- Avoid connecting your PC to unsafe public Wi-Fi to protect your privacy.
- You can also use a VPN to spoof your connection and avoid malicious sites.
- Create a system restore point on your system for security purposes.
- Keep a backup of all your important files to avoid data loss.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is .Kruu File Virus Ransomware?
Kruu Virus is a Ransomware infection that encrypts all the files on an infected PC such as Videos, photos, music, databases, documents, backup, etc. After that, it forces victims’ to pay huge ransom money for the decryption key. It is the latest variant of STOP/DJVU Ransomware infection. It adds its own “.Kruu” extension to all your files and also ransom note “_Readme.txt” in all compromised folders.
How did Kruu Virus infect my PC?
Hackers behind this threat can use several techniques to spread this malware. Usually, threats like Kruu Virus intrude on your computer through Bundled Freeware programs, Spam emails, cracked software, illegal patches, fake software updates, clicking on suspicious links, and visiting porn or torrent sites.
How can I open “.Kruu” files?
Unfortunately, you cannot open “.Kruu” files without decrypting them first. All your files are encrypted and you need a decipher or decryption key to unlock those files before accessing them. Attackers are banking on the fact that you will contact them and buy the decryption software.
Are my files completely lost?
No, your files are still there on your computer but you simply don’t have access. Kruu virus has encrypted your files and they can only be accessed after using a decrypting key for which hackers are demanding the ransom money.
How to decrypt .Kruu Files?
Currently, there is no free Kruu ransomware decryptor available that can restore all your files. But we have suggested quite an effective Kruu File Recovery method in this guide which you can follow to recover your files. But don’t try to restore your data without removing the virus because it will keep encrypting your files.
How to Remove Kruu Ransomware Virus?
It could be quite hard to remove this infection from computers, especially for non-technical users. We have shared several tips on removing this threat manually in this guide which you can use. If you have no prior experience with virus removal then feel free to Download Kruu Ransomware Virus Removal Tool. It is the safest and easiest way to remove this infection from your PC.
Can I reinstall Windows to decrypt .kruu files?
If you will reinstall your Windows then it might remove the infection from your computer but you will not be able to recover your files. If you only format C Drive then the virus hiding in other drives will infect your system again. You have to use a powerful Anti-malware Tool to delete this virus and only then try to decrypt your files.
What to Do If nothing works?
If you are not able to recover your files by any method then still there is a lot you can do.
- Make a backup of all your files on any External drive or cloud drive.
- Remove the virus from your PC and move all infected files to an external drive.
- Make sure there is no other infection hiding on your PC. (Scan twice with Anti-Malware).
- Try to find any old backup of data and restore your files.
- If you don’t have a backup, then contact your friends and family so they can check if they have any of your important files.
- Check your smartphone or social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to find old pictures.
- See if you can download some of your lost software, programs, games, movies, videos, and audio from the web.
How to report this attack to Authorities?
If you are also a Victim of the Kruu virus then you should report this cybercrime incident to legal authorities in your county. Here is the list of some of the official government websites for reporting Cybercrime activities:
- United States – Guard Online
- Australia – SCAMwatch
- United Kingdom – Action Fraud
- New Zealand – Consumer Affairs Scams
- Canada – Canadian Anti-Fraud
- Ireland – An Garda Síochána
- India – National Cybercrime Reporting Portal
You can also search to find the Internet Crime Authority in your country. Meanwhile, it will not help you remove or restore your files in any way but it’s merely information to authorities. Once you register your complaint, authorities might look into and take preventive measures to stop further attacks. However, don’t get lured by third-party criminal reporting sites or fake technical support websites. They are more like to cheat you instead of helping you.