Xcvf is a very malicious ransomware (file-encrypting) malware. It can make all your files, documents, images, videos, music, database, backups, etc. inaccessible. This virus can be easily identified by its “.xcvf” extension. It leaves “_readme.txt” note to demand ransom money for the decryptor. Read this guide to know how to remove Xcvf file virus and restore your files.
What is Xcvf File Virus?
.Xcvf Virus is a recent addition to the STOP Ransomware group. It is noxious data locker malware that can intrude on your PC without permission and encode all your files using a powerful encryption algorithm. Upon successful encryption of your files, it will add “.xcvf” extension to the end of all your file names. For example, the file “myphoto.jpg” when encoded by Xcvf virus, will get converted into “myphoto.jpg.xcvf” and you will need a private decryption key to access such files. This dubious threat will also leave “_Readme.txt” ransom note in every folder to demand ransom money in return for that decryption key.
.Xcvf File Virus is a destructive Ransomware infection. It is a real threat to any Windows computer system. It is a pernicious file encrypting virus that can intrude on your computer very easily. This malign threat can invade your system security without permission and take your files hostage. The main motive of cybercrooks behind this dubious ransomware infection is to make an illegal profit by luring innocent PC users. Once installed on your system, this nasty .Xcvf File Virus will scan your PC your files and encrypt all your data. It is able to infect all kinds of system files including videos, images, audios, MS word documents, excel files, ppt, pdf, txt, Html, and many more.
How .Xcvf File Virus Infected Your PC?
This harmful Xcvf Virus mainly gets delivered to the infected computer through spam emails. This is the most used method for spreading viruses and malware. It is one of the oldest methods used by cybercriminals and still it is effective. You should not open any suspicious email from any unknown sender that contains any attachment.
Your system can also get infected by this threat when you browse malicious websites or use drive-by-download websites. Apart from this, .Xcvf File Virus can also get distributed via Trojan downloaders and other malicious threats that inject viruses into the compromised machine.
Xcvf Ransomware: Threat Analysis
File Encryption and Ransom Demand
Xcvf Ransomware uses a very powerful encryption algorithm to encrypt your files. There is no way to break the encryption without the decryption key. Unfortunately, there is no free decryptor available for this infection even though it has been terrorizing innocent victims for a while now. Due to frequent changes to the ransomware variants, security researchers have not been able to develop any free decryptor.
Xcvf File Virus infection is quite cunning and its ruse is also very good. It is offering a 50% discount on the ransom fee if victims pay under 72 hours. The original price of the decryptor is $980 in Bitcoin, but one can purchase it for $490 if they within 3 days. This nasty virus is also offering decryption of 1 file for free as proof. It asks users to contact through the email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. It is a good negotiation technique because victims often try to get discount offers.Ransom note left by .Xcvf virus on your computer contains the following text :
ATTENTION! Don't worry, you can return all your files! All your files like pictures, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key. The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you. This software will decrypt all your encrypted files. What guarantees you have? You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free. But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information. You can get and look video overview decrypt tool: hxxps://we.tl/t-FglTTmgzZT Price of private key and decrypt software is $980. Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours, that's price for you is $490. Please note that you'll never restore your data without payment. Check your e-mail "Spam" or "Junk" folder if you don't get answer more than 6 hours. To get this software you need write on our e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Reserve e-mail address to contact us: email@example.com Your personal ID: -
Do Not Pay Ransom Money
Once installed on your system, Xcvf Ransomware will encrypt all your data. This dubious threat will leave a ransom note on your computer in text format to inform you about the decryption. It will ask you to pay the ransom money within a fixed time to get your files. Creators of .Xcvf File Virus will also threaten users to double the price of the decryption key.
But even after paying the ransom money, attackers will not give users the decryption key. You should not encourage them by paying the ransom. Cybercriminals behind this threat are only interested in your money and once you pay them, you will become their regular victim. Threats like this use multiple variants to extort money from the same victims again and again.
How can I restore my files?
There are ways to restore encrypted data but none of them are easy. There are some risks involved that must be considered first. Attackers are offering a decryptor that can restore your files but they are asking for a huge price. It is not easy to trust someone who has already done you harm by encrypting all your files. You cannot rely on them to keep their promise after getting paid.
You can restore your files through backup if you have one (of course). But for that, you need to remove this Xcvf Ransomware from your computer first. Otherwise, it will keep encrypting your files and it can also infect your backup. So it is very important to get rid of the virus to start the recovery process.
You might think reinstalling your Windows can remove this virus. It is a bad idea because you will not be able to restore your files then. Also, this virus can hide in other drives and attack your system again. Wiping off your computer could remove this threat but again you cannot restore your data.
So you need to remove this Xcvf Ransomware first from your PC. Then create a backup of your encrypted files on any USB drive or Cloud drive for safekeeping. Then proceed with the data restoration through backup. if you don’t have any backup then try data recovery software.
What to do after encryption
If your computer is infected by .Xcvf File Virus and all your files are encrypted, then first of all make a backup of all your encrypted data on any cloud drive for safety. Now you should consider deleting this nasty ransomware infection completely from your system then you can try alternative data recovery methods. Usually, it is not easy to recover encrypted files because the algorithm used by hackers is quite strong.
Some data recovery software also uses a very sophisticated level of hard drive scanning. Such powerful software can even recover files from formatted or corrupt drives. Stellar Data Recovery software has proven quite effective in ransomware attack situations. You can give it a try and if it is not able to recover all your files, you can wait for any decryptor to be launched in the future as you have a backup of encrypted files. So follow this guide to remove .Xcvf File Virus and recover your files without paying ransom money to hackers.
How To Remove Xcvf Virus
Xcvf File Virus is a dangerous malware that can cause major damage to your computer. This nasty threat will bring several new problems on your PC. This is why it is quite imperative to delete this threat permanently before it completely damages your entire computer system. Once it manages to infiltrate your system, it will make your system vulnerable. This nasty malware is capable of bringing other harmful viruses on your system without your consent. It can completely obliterate your system performance in no time. This virus also has tendency to hide its malicious copies at various locations on your PC under different names. It is not an easy job to find and remove those virus related files manually.
In this guide, you will find instructions for two very different techniques to get rid of Xcvf Virus infection . The first one is the Automatic Removal which is quite fast, effective and accurate. The second method is Manual Removal which usually takes lots of time, needs technical expertise, and often fails to give desired results. However, it is advised to take help of both techniques to ensure complete removal of the malware from your system. In case you are not handy with system operations and techincal stuff, just opt for the automatic malware removal process to eliminate Xcvf Ransomware.
Automatic Xcvf Virus Removal Guide
As you already know, Xcvf Virus is a notorious and cunning malware that is not hard to remove easily by any user through manual means. This virus can keep coming back on the infected computer through files and shortcuts or settings that it has already created on your machine. Removing all those at once is the only way to get rid of this infection and stop it from getting into your system ever again.
So the best way to remove Xcvf effectively is to use a powerful Automatic Removal Tool and save your time and efforts. This software is a well-trusted and very powerful anti-malware program that can detect all hidden threats like Trojan, Ransomware, Worms, Spyware, Rootkits, and many others. It also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real-time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware updates make it most effective against the latest malware attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- First, you need to click on the below download button to get the software.
Some time threats like Xcvf Virus keep getting back on the machine if all associated files are not removed. So you are advised to use a powerful Malware Removal Tool to run a thorough scan of your PC and delete all threats at once. SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware offers a 7-day fully-functional Free Trial. Credit card required, NO charge upfront. No charge if you cancel up to two business days before the trial period ends. Read SpyHunter 5 Review, and Free SpyHunter Remover details.
- Then double-click on the installer you downloaded to install the program.
- Launch Anti-Malware application and Start Scan Now of your PC.
- The software will scan your PC for all hidden threats and viruses on your system.
- Click on the Next button to see results and delete Xcvf and other threats.
How To Recover .Xcvf Files
Now all your files got encrypted by the .Xcvf Virus then you need to recover your data without paying ransom money to hackers. If your files are important then you must have created a backup and you can use that backup to recover your files. If you don’t have a backup or this virus has encrypted your backup files, then you are left to seek professional help.
As there are no Xcvf ransomware decryptor available, we recommend you use powerful data recovery software to decrypt .Xcvf Files. It is a risk-free and smart way. You can just download the free version and scan your PC for files. There is a high probability that it can recover most of your files in a fraction of the amount that hackers are demanding. It is also needless to say that paying hackers will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks.
- First, you need to download Data Recovery software on your PC.
- Install the program, launch it then select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- Select the location from where you want to recover data and click the Scan button.
- After the scan, software will list all files, select them and click the Recover button.
Manual Xcvf Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type msconfig in the Run Box then click the OK button.
- Click on the Boot tab then the System configuration window will appear.
- Choose Safe Boot, check the network box, Click Apply, and press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type taskmgr in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Find Xcvf related or any malicious process.
- Now right-click on it then click End process.
How To Uninstall Xcvf from Windows PC
- First of all Press Windows Key + R buttons together.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Run box and then click the OK button.
- Now Programs and Features windows will appear on the screen.
- Find and remove all Xcvf related or malicious programs.
Remove Virus related IP address from Hosts Files
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now open the hosts file with Notepad.
- Look any suspicious IP address which might be related to Xcvf Virus.
- Delete all the malicious IP address and save the host files.
Remove Virus related Windows Registry entries
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type regedit in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Registry Editor will open, then press CTRL +F buttons together.
- Now type Xcvf and then click on Find Next button.
- Find all the related entries and delete them one by one
Delete Virus related files from your PCWhen a threat gets on to a PC, it most likely creates some files at different locations on the system. These files are used to perform a specific action and also help malware in getting back to the computer once it’s removed. So you just need to find also delete all those files associated with this .Xcvf File Virus. For that follow the below instruction :
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard
- Type each of the following in Run Box and press the OK button
Remove Xcvf Virus via system restore
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type cmd in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- When the System Restore window opens on your computer screen click the Next button, then choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, click on the Yes button to start the system restoration process.
Note: This will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC or it will give an error message. Restoring the computer to a previous version may or may not remove .Xcvf File Virus. Most of the time, viruses just delete all the restore points. If this trick does not work for you then don’t get disappointed.
After restoring your computer, we recommend you run a thorough scan of the PC using a Powerful Anti-Malware program to detect and remove any hidden threats. In most cases, viruses may spread through any files outside of the C drive because system restoring only affect the C drive. There may be some Virus related files hiding your PC, and it never hurts to double-check.
Sometimes, system restore doesn’t work or viruses can just remove the restore points. As such you will probably have no other choice than to choose the Automatic Removal Process. It is the best and error-free method to find and remove threats from your computer. Additionally, you should also check some important malware prevention tips provided here in this guide to avoid similar virus attacks in the future.
Remove Xcvf Virus From MacOSIf you are a mac user, and your machine got infected by this nasty file-encrypting malware then you need to remove it as soon as possible. Although Mac systems are quite safe they still do get infected. So you can delete this infection using the below steps:
Stop Malicious Program From Activity Monitor
- First, you need to open Utilities folder on your Mac system.
- Find the Activity Monitor icon and double-click on it to open it.
- Find Xcvf related process, click the cross button from the upper left side corner to end task.
- A pop-up dialogue box will appear on the screen, click on the Force Quit button.
Remove Virus From Application Folder
- First, go to the Dock option (bottom of your screen) then click on Finder App.
- Now you have to open the Applications Folders to see all the programs.
- Find Xcvf or any other unwanted program then move it to Trash.
Remove Xcvf Virus Related Files From MacWhen any program is installed on your Mac, it creates several files on your system that support the functioning of that application. If you need to remove any virus from your Mac, then you need to delete all related files completely. These files could be found at :
- Application Support
- First of all press the Command+Shift+G buttons together on your keyboard.
- Now you can see Go To Folder option on your Mac screen.
- Type in /Library/LaunchAgents in the text field and click on Go button.
- Find and remove any Xcvf Virus related or malicious file.
Attention: If you are not tech-savvy, then it could be quite difficult to remove Xcvf File Virus manually from your Mac. The best way is to download SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware and see if it can detect all hidden threats and viruses on your computer. It’s really super easy and you should give it a try.
How SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware Works
- First, download the SpyHunter for Mac by clicking on the below button.
Some time threats like Xcvf Virus keep getting back on the machine if all associated files are not removed. So you are advised to use a powerful Malware Removal Tool to run a thorough scan of your Mac and delete all threats at once.SpyHunter for Mac offers a 15-day fully-functional Free Trial. Credit card required, NO charge upfront. No charge if you cancel up to two business days before the trial period ends. Read SpyHunter for Mac Review, and Free SpyHunter Remover details.
- Now go to the Download Folder from the Docs and Install the SpyHunter Anti-Malware For Mac.
- Launch the Program, and click on Start Scan Now button.
- Software will start running a a full scan of your mac instantly to look for any malware, virus, threats, malicious programs or security risk and so on.
- Finally you will see a list of malwares detected on your mac, now click on Next button to start the removal process.
Tips To Prevent .Xcvf Virus in Future
- Use a good anti-virus, be it a free version but don’t use cracked security programs.
- Make sure that your Windows firewall is active, so it can block upcoming threats.
- Keep your Windows/Mac OS and other programs updated to avoid vulnerabilities.
- Download updates only from official websites, don’t use suspicious sites.
- Never download and install pirated software, games, or illegal patches on your PC.
- Do not open spam emails from an unknown sender and scan all attachments before opening.
- Never download freeware third-party programs from unreliable sources or websites.
- Avoid connecting your PC to unsafe public Wi-Fi to protect your privacy.
- You can also use a VPN to spoof your connection and avoid malicious sites.
- Create a system restore point on your system for security purposes.
- Keep a backup of all your important files to avoid data loss.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is .Xcvf File Virus Ransomware?
Xcvf Virus is a Ransomware infection that encrypts all the files on an infected PC such as Videos, photos, music, databases, documents, backup, etc. After that, it forces victims’ to pay huge ransom money for the decryption key. It is the latest variant of STOP/DJVU Ransomware infection. It adds its own “.Xcvf” extension to all your files and also ransom note “_Readme.txt” in all compromised folders.
How did Xcvf Virus infected my computer?
Hackers behind this threat can use several techniques to spread this malware. Usually, threats like Xcvf Virus intrude on your computer through Bundled Freeware programs, Spam emails, cracked software, illegal patches, fake software updates, clicking on suspicious links, and visiting porn or torrent sites.
How can I open “.Xcvf” files?
Unfortunately, you cannot open “.Xcvf” files without decrypting them first. All your files are encrypted and you need a decipher or decryption key to unlock those files before accessing them.
Are my files completely lost?
No, your files are still there on your computer but you simply don’t have access. Xcvf virus has encrypted your files and they can only be accessed after using a decrypting key for which hackers are demanding the ransom money.
How to decrypt .Xcvf Files?
There is no perfect Xcvf ransomware decryptor available currently which can restore all your files. But we have suggested a quite effective Xcvf File Recovery method in this guide which you can follow to recover your files. But don’t try to restore your data without removing the virus because it will keep encrypting your files.
How to Remove Xcvf Ransomware Virus?
It could be quite hard to remove this infection from computers, especially for non-technical users. We have shared several tips on removing this threat manually in this guide which you can use. If you have no prior experience with virus removal then feel free to Download Xcvf Ransomware Virus Removal Tool. It is the safest and easiest way to remove this infection from your PC.
Can I reinstall Windows to remove Xcvf virus and decrypt files?
If you will reinstall your Windows then it might remove the infection from your computer but you will not be able to recover your files. If you only format C Drive then the virus hiding in other drives will infect your system again. You have to use a powerful Anti-malware Tool to delete this virus and only then try to decrypt your files.
What to Do If nothing works?
If you are not able to recover your files by any method then still there is a lot you can do.
1. Make a backup of all your files on any External drive or cloud drive.
2. Remove Xcvf virus from your PC and move all infected files to an external drive.
3. Make sure there is no other infection hiding on your PC. (Scan twice with Anti-Malware).
4. Try to find any old backup of data and restore your files.
5. If you don’t have a backup, then contact your friends and family so they can check if they have any of your important files.
6. Check your smartphone or social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to find old pictures.
7. See if you can download some of your lost software, programs, games, movies, videos, audio from the web.
How to report this attack to Authorities?
If you are also a Victim of the Xcvf virus then you should report this cybercrime incident to legal authorities in your county. Here is the list of some of the official government websites for reporting Cybercrime activities:
United States – Guard Online
Australia – SCAMwatch
United Kingdom – Action Fraud
New Zealand – Consumer Affairs Scams
Canada – Canadian Anti-Fraud
Ireland – An Garda Síochána
India – National Cybercrime Reporting Portal
You can also search to find the Internet Crime Authority in your country. Meanwhile, it will not help you remove or restore your files in any way but it’s merely information to authorities. Once you register your complaint, authorities might look into and take preventive measures to stop further attacks. However, don’t get lured by third-party criminal reporting sites or fake technical support websites. They are more like to cheat you instead of helping you.