EssentialWindow is another Mac malware that silently intrudes on your system and shows lots of annoying and unwanted ads. It is an adware-type infection with browser hijacker capability. Such apps are considered as Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP) due to their questionable distribution methods. Read this guide to know how to remove EssentialWindow virus from Mac.
What is EssentialWindow?
EssentialWindow is a nasty adware infection. This vicious malware is been programmed with the sole motive to earn quick profit online. It intrudes the targeted Mac by stealth and causes various problems. It aims to utilize users browsing activities to earn money. Actually it practices pay per click (PPC) method. In simple words, it promotes numerous tempting but fake ads on your browsing screen. These undesirable ads will forcibly redirect your browser to suspicious sites.
It can infect all main web browsers like Safari, Chrome, and Firefox very easily. It can modify your browser settings, homepage, and default search engines. It may also install malicious add-ons or extensions on your browser without permission. You will start facing issues like slow Internet speed, annoying pop-up ads, forced web redirections, slow system, and frequent crashes.
EssentialWindow virus may also bring several other hidden threats to your Mac. It can disable your security programs and make your system vulnerable. This adware infection is also a very big threat to your privacy. It monitors your online activities and collects data like IP address, social media login details, passwords, Geo-locations, etc. This nasty threat can share those details with cybercriminals to use in illegal online activities.
How it infects your mac?
Cybercriminals use various tricks to distribute their such threats online. EssentialWindow virus mostly gets spread via freeware programs that users download from the Internet. You must be very careful while downloading any app from unknown websites. Freeware software creators often allow bundling of other programs to earn a commission. Such programs may carry some hidden program that silently gets installed.
Spam emails are also used to deliver malicious file attachments (doc, ppt, pdf, etc.) and links directly into users’ inboxes. Opening such contaminated files or clicking on those suspicious links can bring this threat. Visting pron or torrent sites, downloading cracked or pirated software, installing fake updates or illegal game patches could also bring this infection to your mac.
EssentialWindow: Threat Analysis
Working of EssentialWindow virus
Once this nasty infection manages to take control of your system, it can bring other threats and malware to your Mac. It will show a bunch of push notifications, banners, pop-ups, offers, alerts, etc. on your computer screen that will redirect your browser to malicious sites.
Such kind of frequent and forced redirection is used to increase the traffic of dubious sites and generate revenue. But those sites also host malicious codes which may easily jump on your Mac when your browser gets redirected to them. As result, your Mac could get infected by more nasty threats without your knowledge.
EssentialWindow can disable your anti-virus and firewall security and it also creates new library files, launch agents, and daemons for auto start-up and regeneration purposes. You can reset your browser but chances are it may come back on your machine by using those files.
Why it is risky for your privacy?
EssentialWindow virus gains full control of your browser, so it can easily track your browsing history and online habits to collect your personal and financial information. It can use those details to show personalized ads on your Mac and can also sell them to cyber criminals.
In the wrong hands, your private data could be used for all sorts of illegal activities. Even you might end up being a victim of cyber fraud and identity theft. So don’t waste your time and try to remove this virus as soon as possible.
How To Remove EssentialWindow
Automatic EssentialWindow Removal Guide
As you already know, EssentialWindow is a notorious and cunning malware that is not hard to remove easily by any user through manual means. This virus can keep coming back on the infected computer through files and shortcuts or settings that it has already created on your machine. Removing all those at once is the only way to get rid of this infection and stop it from getting into your system ever again.
So the best way to remove EssentialWindow effectively is to use a powerful Automatic Removal Tool and save your time and efforts. This software is a well-trusted and very powerful anti-malware program that can detect all hidden threats like Trojan, Ransomware, Worms, Spyware, Rootkits, and many others. It is a pretty advanced and effective Mac optimization tool that also provides 24X7 customer support. SpyHunter for Mac is the best app to ensure your Mac’s safety and keep it fast like new always. If you value your Mac then it is the most important application for you. Try this software once and you will never have to worry about any malware attacks.
How SpyHunter for Mac Works
- First, you will have to click on the below download button to get SpyHunter Mac Anti-malware.
- After the download, go to the Download Folder from the Docs and Install the SpyHunter For Mac Anti-Malware.
- Once the application is installed launch the Program, and click on Start Scan Now button.
- The software will start running a full scan of your mac instantly to look for any malware, virus, threats, malicious programs or security risks, and so on.
- Finally, you will see a list of malware detected on your mac, now click on the Next button to start the removal process.
Manual EssentialWindow Removal Guide
Stop Malicious Program From Activity Monitor
- First, you need to open Utilities folder on your Mac system.
- Find the Activity Monitor icon and double-click on it to open.
- Find EssentialWindow related process, and click the cross button from the upper left side corner to end the task.
- A pop-up dialogue box will appear on the screen and click on the Force Quit button.
Remove Virus From Application Folder
- First, go to the Dock option (bottom of your screen) then click on Finder App.
- Now you have to open the Applications Folders to see all the programs.
- Find EssentialWindow or any other unwanted program then move it to Trash.
Remove Virus Related Files From Mac
When any program is installed on your Mac, it creates several files on your system that support the functioning of that application. If you need to remove any virus from your Mac, then you need to delete all related files completely. These files could be found at :
- Application Support
Follow the below steps to remove virus related files from these locations:
- First of all press the Command+Shift+G buttons together on your keyboard.
- Now you can see the Go To Folder option on your Mac screen.
- Type in /Library/LaunchAgents in the text field and click on the Go button.
- Find and remove any EssentialWindow related or malicious file.
Now follow the same process for Application Support and LaunchDaemons folders. But be careful, don’t delete any important files or you can break down your entire system.
Attention: Don’t go meddling around and deleting files that you don’t know about. Removing any wrong file may damage your Mac. So you are advised to download SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware and run a thorough scan of your system for threats and viruses.
Remove Infection From Your Browser
Threats like EssentialWindow often install malicious extensions to the browser on the infected machine and make several unwanted changes to the browser settings. You might experience forced browser redirection, lots of annoying pop-up ads, and commercials on your browser due to this. You will need to remove the infection from your browser to put an end to such activities and block the regeneration of malware on your system.
Remove EssentialWindow From Apple Safari
- Launch the Safari browser on your Mac then click on the Safari menu and select the Preferences option from the drop-down list.
- Now to see the list of all installed extensions on your browser click on the Extensions tab.
- Find the virus related extension and click Uninstall button then again click the Uninstall button to remove the extension completely.
Remove EssentialWindow From Google Chrome
Note: Type or copy-paste –
chrome://extensions in the URL bar of Google Chrome then press the ENTER button to open the extensions page directly or follow the below steps.
- Launch the Google Chrome browser on your Mac, then click the Menu (⋮) option that you can find in the upper right corner of your browser.
- Chrome drop-down menu will instantly appear, click on More tools then select the Extensions option to see all installed Extensions on your chrome.
- Find any virus related or suspicious extension then click the trash can icon to remove it completely.
Remove EssentialWindow From Mozilla Firefox
Note: Type or copy-paste –
about:addons in the URL bar of Firefox then hit ENTER button to open the extensions page directly or follow the below steps.
- Launch the Mozilla Firefox browser on your Mac and then click on the Menu (☰) option which you can find in the upper right corner of the browser.
- You will see a drop-down menu instantly, click on the Add-ons option from that menu.
- On the left sidebar, you will see the Extensions option, click on it to see all installed extensions on your browser.
- Look for any suspicious or potentially unwanted extension then click on the Remove button to get rid of it immediately.
Reset Browser Setting to Default
Once you remove the malicious extensions from your browser, you might want to reset the browser to default settings to reset any changes made by them. Follow the below steps for that :
Reset Safari To Default
- Open your Safari browser, tap on the Safari menu and select the Reset Safari option.
- Now check all the boxes and then finally click on the Reset button.
Reset Google Chrome Web Browser
- Open Google Chrome, click on Menu (⋮) then select the settings option.
- On the Settings page, scroll down to the bottom, and click the Show Advanced settings option.
- From Reset and clean up click on Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Finally, click on the Reset Settings button to reset your chrome browser.
Refresh Mozilla Firefox Browser
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser, click on Menu (☰) option, and select the (?) icon.
- Click on the Troubleshooting Information option from the drop-down menu.
- Then press the Refresh Firefox button and give confirmation.
Once you are done with these settings hopefully your problem is solved. If not, then you can also always download the Mac Anti-virus Program mentioned in this article to get rid of all the threats and viruses automatically. You can also take some precautions to avoid similar malware attacks in the future. Follow the below steps to improve the security of your Mac system.