ConnectedMethod is a Mac virus that can downgrade your computer performance and risk your privacy. It is capable of showing unwanted and annoying advertisements on Safari, Google Chrome, and Firefox browser. It can bring other dangerous threats to your Mac if not removed on time. Read this guide to know how to delete ConnectedMethod virus from your Mac.
ConnectedMethod on Mac
ConnectedMethod is yet another potentially unwanted program (PUP) for macOS. This dubious threat is capable of silently intruding on your Mac and modifying several important settings. It can hijack the main web browser on the device to change the search engine and display unwanted ads during web browsing. Most of the users have reported ConnectedMethod as an unreliable and misleading program with the persistent nature of showing an excessive amount of annoying advertisements on the system.
Like any other unwanted program, ConnectedMethod sneaks into your Mac through illegal means. It will hide in your system and make several unwanted changes without your permission. At first, you might notice some common ads while browsing the Internet, then some pop-ups and notifications will start showing asking you to click on some links or download some other programs. Actually, it is a tactic used to earn commission by referring to other sites or unwanted programs. Many people might ignore such behavior, but these actions can lead to further malware infiltration.
What to do after detection
The best course of action after detecting any such activity is to uninstall the application first. But most of the time it is not as easy to remove programs like ConnectedMethod as any other legitimate program. This kind of threat creates multiple files on the operating system to avoid their removal at once. Usually, when a threat like this alters your Mac, it first tries modifying primary browser settings which include changing the homepage and pointing the main search engine to a fake one. Then it will try to stop you from accessing legitimate search tools like Google, Yahoo, or Bing.
Being an adware infection, it can easily deteriorate a user’s web browsing experience by showing tons of unwanted and annoying ads, pop-ups, banners, surveys, and so on. Promotional materials delivered by ConnectedMethod will not slow down your Mac but also cause forced redirection of your browser on suspicious websites. Cybercriminals often deploy such methods to bring extra traffic to their websites to generate revenue and spread malware online.
Risks related to potentially unwanted programs
Some people may ignore the ads and browser redirection caused by ConnectedMethod virus but it is not good for their system. There are many risks of this type of infection which may not be clear at the time but can cause serious damage later. Firstly these kinds of PUPs are used for malware distribution through ads which most people might ignore. It may bring harmful programs to your Mac without your knowledge.
Browser hijacking capabilities also give ConnectedMethod virus complete authority to monitor users’ online activities and collect personal data. It can gather all the surfing history, search queries, saved passwords, Geo-location, IP address, and other crucial information. It may also transfer that collected information to a remote server to be used for personalized ads or sold to third parties. Your complete privacy can be at risk in no time and you might become a victim of cyber fraud. It is very important to get rid of ConnectedMethod if you want to protect your privacy and system security.
ConnectedMethod extension and hidden files
Upon successful infiltration of your Mac, ConnectedMethod may bring some add-ons or extensions to your computer. It may also create some hidden files in the system library which may come back after removal. So you will need to delete all the related files for the successful elimination of this threat from your Mac. You might need to combine both the manual and automatic removal processes to effectively remove this threat. You can find this browser hijacker operating as an extension.
ConnectedMethod: Threat Analysis
ConnectedMethod distribution is a bit tricky
Most people might ask how this infection first came on their Mac if they never downloaded it. So they need to understand that developers of threats like ConnectedMethod are highly motivated to illegal profits online. They use PPC campaigns to promote their dubious program and most ads are not checked for any malicious codes or programs.
Software bundling is also a very common method used by cybercriminals to promote unwanted potentially dangerous programs. Browsing to porn or torrent sites and downloading cracked software or illegal files may bring this infection to your system. Clicking on misleading ads and pop-ups or allowing fake push notifications may also drop malicious codes on your computer.
Block ConnectedMethod virus on your Mac
As you know the harmful intentions of this nasty malware, it is advised to block this virus on your Mac. You need to take quick action to eliminate ConnectedMethod and stop all the ads, pop-ups, and redirections caused by these programs. It is very important for the safety of your computer as well as your privacy. It might not be easy to remove, so we suggest combining automatic and manual removal methods for successful elimination. Using a powerful anti-malware tool will be a good idea as it will not only save your time and effort but also ensure the complete removal of the virus. We have created a step-by-step guide to guide you through the process.
How To Remove ConnectedMethod
Automatic ConnectedMethod Removal Guide
As you already know, ConnectedMethod is a notorious and cunning malware that is not hard to remove easily by any user through manual means. This virus can keep coming back on the infected computer through files and shortcuts or settings that it has already created on your machine. Removing all those at once is the only way to get rid of this infection and stop it from getting into your system ever again.
So the best way to remove ConnectedMethod effectively is to use a powerful Automatic Removal Tool and save your time and efforts. This software is a well-trusted and very powerful anti-malware program that can detect all hidden threats like Trojan, Ransomware, Worms, Spyware, Rootkits, and many others. It is a pretty advanced and effective Mac optimization tool that also provides 24X7 customer support. SpyHunter for Mac is the best app to ensure your Mac’s safety and keep it fast like new always. If you value your Mac then it is the most important application for you. Try this software once and you will never have to worry about any malware attacks.
How SpyHunter for Mac Works
- First, you will have to click on the below download button to get SpyHunter Mac Anti-malware.
- After the download, go to the Download Folder from the Docs and Install the SpyHunter For Mac Anti-Malware.
- Once the application is installed launch the Program, and click on Start Scan Now button.
- The software will start running a full scan of your mac instantly to look for any malware, virus, threats, malicious programs or security risks, and so on.
- Finally, you will see a list of malware detected on your mac, now click on the Next button to start the removal process.
Manual ConnectedMethod Removal Guide
Stop Malicious Program From Activity Monitor
- First, you need to open Utilities folder on your Mac system.
- Find the Activity Monitor icon and double-click on it to open.
- Find ConnectedMethod related process, and click the cross button from the upper left side corner to end the task.
- A pop-up dialogue box will appear on the screen and click on the Force Quit button.
Remove Virus From Application Folder
- First, go to the Dock option (bottom of your screen) then click on Finder App.
- Now you have to open the Applications Folders to see all the programs.
- Find ConnectedMethod or any other unwanted program then move it to Trash.
Remove Virus Related Files From Mac
When any program is installed on your Mac, it creates several files on your system that support the functioning of that application. If you need to remove any virus from your Mac, then you need to delete all related files completely. These files could be found at :
- Application Support
Follow the below steps to remove virus related files from these locations:
- First of all press the Command+Shift+G buttons together on your keyboard.
- Now you can see the Go To Folder option on your Mac screen.
- Type in /Library/LaunchAgents in the text field and click on the Go button.
- Find and remove any ConnectedMethod related or malicious file.
Now follow the same process for Application Support and LaunchDaemons folders. But be careful, don’t delete any important files or you can break down your entire system.
Attention: Don’t go meddling around and deleting files that you don’t know about. Removing any wrong file may damage your Mac. So you are advised to download SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware and run a thorough scan of your system for threats and viruses.
Remove Infection From Your Browser
Threats like ConnectedMethod often install malicious extensions to the browser on the infected machine and make several unwanted changes to the browser settings. You might experience forced browser redirection, lots of annoying pop-up ads, and commercials on your browser due to this. You will need to remove the infection from your browser to put an end to such activities and block the regeneration of malware on your system.
Remove ConnectedMethod From Apple Safari
- Launch the Safari browser on your Mac then click on the Safari menu and select the Preferences option from the drop-down list.
- Now to see the list of all installed extensions on your browser click on the Extensions tab.
- Find the virus related extension and click Uninstall button then again click the Uninstall button to remove the extension completely.
Remove ConnectedMethod From Google Chrome
Note: Type or copy-paste –
chrome://extensions in the URL bar of Google Chrome then press the ENTER button to open the extensions page directly or follow the below steps.
- Launch the Google Chrome browser on your Mac, then click the Menu (⋮) option that you can find in the upper right corner of your browser.
- Chrome drop-down menu will instantly appear, click on More tools then select the Extensions option to see all installed Extensions on your chrome.
- Find any virus related or suspicious extension then click the trash can icon to remove it completely.
Remove ConnectedMethod From Mozilla Firefox
Note: Type or copy-paste –
about:addons in the URL bar of Firefox then hit ENTER button to open the extensions page directly or follow the below steps.
- Launch the Mozilla Firefox browser on your Mac and then click on the Menu (☰) option which you can find in the upper right corner of the browser.
- You will see a drop-down menu instantly, click on the Add-ons option from that menu.
- On the left sidebar, you will see the Extensions option, click on it to see all installed extensions on your browser.
- Look for any suspicious or potentially unwanted extension then click on the Remove button to get rid of it immediately.
Reset Browser Setting to Default
Once you remove the malicious extensions from your browser, you might want to reset the browser to default settings to reset any changes made by them. Follow the below steps for that :
Reset Safari To Default
- Open your Safari browser, tap on the Safari menu and select the Reset Safari option.
- Now check all the boxes and then finally click on the Reset button.
Reset Google Chrome Web Browser
- Open Google Chrome, click on Menu (⋮) then select the settings option.
- On the Settings page, scroll down to the bottom, and click the Show Advanced settings option.
- From Reset and clean up click on Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Finally, click on the Reset Settings button to reset your chrome browser.
Refresh Mozilla Firefox Browser
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser, click on Menu (☰) option, and select the (?) icon.
- Click on the Troubleshooting Information option from the drop-down menu.
- Then press the Refresh Firefox button and give confirmation.
Once you are done with these settings hopefully your problem is solved. If not, then you can also always download the Mac Anti-virus Program mentioned in this article to get rid of all the threats and viruses automatically. You can also take some precautions to avoid similar malware attacks in the future. Follow the below steps to improve the security of your Mac system.