If all your files got “.Grej” extension at the end then your computer is attacked by Grej Ransomware infection. This dubious .Grej File Virus is a variant of Dharma Ransomware which demands a hefty extortion fee to decrypt your files. This guide can help you remove this virus and decrypt your files without paying money to hackers.
What is Grej
Grej is a data locker malware which is a cryptovirus. This type of threat is used to encrypt files on targeted PC and extort money from victims to restore files. This type of malware attack has got a significant rise in recent years. People are more vulnerable to such infections because they store valuable data on their computers. Ransomware creators know this fact and take the advantage of such a situation to make an illegal profit online. Grej Ransomware is a dangerous malware that can lock all types of files such as videos, images, audio, documents, database, backups, and so on.
If your computer got infected by this nasty virus, then you must not engage in any conversation or negotiation with hackers. Actually the primary motive of .Grej File virus is to restrict users from accessing any of their files. A ransom note is also left on the victim’s computer to ask for the money in return for unlocking the documents. But taking cybercriminals on their words could be dangerous, as many people got scammed and could not get their files back. You need to remove .Grej Virus from PC and recover your files through alternate methods. Read this guide for detailed information about this file-encrypting malware, how to remove it and how to decrypt your files.
More about Grej Virus
Grej ransomware is a notorious file-encrypting malware that belongs to DHARMA virus family. This dubious threat is created by hackers with the ambition to fraud money from users by blackmailing them. This new variant of data locker virus can encrypt all your files without your permission using a powerful cryptography algorithm. This .Grej File Virus is able to infect any version of Windows PC easily and it can sneak past your antivirus protection without detection. Earlier you won’t even recognize what struck your PC and then suddenly all your files are locked with an undecipherable key.
.Grej Virus is one of the many variants released by the creators of Dharma Ransomware virus. This dubious malware intrudes on your computer and then executes its malicious encryption software. All your files get locked with new “.Grej” extension. For example, if a file on your PC has the name “myphoto.jpg” then it will convert into “myphoto.jpg.id-1E857D00.[firstname.lastname@example.org].grej” which cannot be opened without a decryption tool. This nasty Ransomware has created this ugly situation on your computer so that it can force you into paying the ransom money for the decryption key.
What happens to your files
As you know, .Grej File Virus uses a powerful RSA military-grade encryption algorithm to encode your files. All your files will still be there on your computer, but you will not be able to access them. This kind of encryption algorithm is mainly used to protect files, transmit information without having the tension of anyone intercepting the message. This practice was first used for military and intelligence purposes but now many social media companies like WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram, and others are using end-to-end encryption. This technology keeps all the communication safe from sender to receiver and no one can read the messages.
Such end-to-end encryption, military-grade cipher are good for privacy but in hackers’ hands, it is a weapon of mass destruction. There is no way to break the encryption without a decoder and thus cybercrooks behind .Grej Virus Ransomware gets away by cheating innocent users. All these files encrypted by this malware can only be decoded by a private decryption tool and key which is unique for every computer. Brute forcing to restore files to the original version might corrupt the whole and even the decryption tool won’t even recover .Grej encrypted files.
However, there are some ways to recover files infected by this virus. It will not be easy but it could be possible to recover most (if not all) of the files without paying money to hackers. Sometimes ransomware creators also leave some flaws which could be exploited to create a decrpytor. Unfortunately, there is no free decryptor yet found for .Grej Virus Ransomware. But it does not mean it’s not going to happen, however, it may take time. You can also recover your files through backup or use data recovery software to recover previous versions of your encrypted files.
Grej Ransomware: Threat Analysis
Do not pay money hackers
Paying ransom money to hackers to get the decryption is not a good idea. Many people might think they cannot risk their valuable information and paying money is the easy way out but it can be dangerous. As you know, .Grej File Virus is a variant of Dharma Ransomware. There are hundreds of more variants just like this. So if you once pay, your system can get infected again by some other version of the malware. It is also possible that some other completely ransomware virus attacks your PC. Because once your system gets infected, a loophole gets created which can be used viruses to intrude your machine.
It is also very much possible that after getting money, creators of .Grej Virus will stop responding to your emails. Many of the victims already reported such incidents and there is no way to find the hackers. Payment is also in Bitcoins which cannot be traced and so you can lose both your files and money. Firstly, the main thing is you cannot trust cybercriminals to keep their words once they get paid, and secondly, you cannot force them to. So in our expert opinion, you must refrain from paying any money to .Grej Virus because it will only motivate them to expand their blackmailing business.
Ransom note left by .Grej Virus contains the following text message:
YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED GREJKUGULIK Don't worry, you can return all your files! If you want to restore them, write to the mail: email@example.com YOUR ID 1E857D00 If you have not answered by mail within 12 hours, write to us by another mail:firstname.lastname@example.org ATTENTION! We recommend you contact us directly to avoid overpaying agents Do not rename encrypted files. Do not try to decrypt your data using third party software, it may cause permanent data loss. Decryption of your files with the help of third parties may cause increased price (they add their fee to our) or you can become a victim of a scam.
Distribution methods used to transmit ransomware
Most of the users ask us how their system got infected in the first place. They have no clue about the infection whatsoever. So if you are thinking the same question then you need to know that hackers use several tricks to spread their creation. Threats like .Grej Ransomware mostly spread through illegal or pirated software downloads. When you go looking for cracked programs, how do you think they spoof the purchased software for free. Trojan viruses are used to crack software, and when you install such programs, that Trojan can always drop new threats on your PC.
Spam email campaigns is another very famous and effective method used by hackers to spread virus like .Grej Ransomware. Hackers use software to send bulk messages with fake content and malicious attachments. Bulk messaging practically cost nothing, but even if 1 victim out of 1000 pays the ransom money, its still a good profit. Many freeware creators allow bundled programs that get installed in the background without permission. Such bundled apps can trigger the installation of malware and users won’t even know.
Browsing to torrent or porn sites causes too much redirection. You mostly land on suspicious sites with various fake ads, promo, alerts, warnings, etc. that ask you to click. Once you click on those ads, a malicious script could trigger the download and installation of malware on your system. Sharing files on an unsafe network could also bring threats like .Grej Virus Ransomware on your computer. We have made a list of precautionary measures to avoid malware attacks on your PC which is at the last of this guide. Make sure to read those tips to protect your system in the future.
Removal of virus and Decryption of files
If you want to recover your files, then you must remove .Grej Virus completely from PC. Removing this virus manually may not be easy, so you are advised to use a powerful Malware Removal Tool to get rid of this threat completely. Do not format your PC or re-install the Windows, because you will not be able to recover files then. To restore your encrypted files, you can use the backup copies if you have made any. If you don’t have backup then try using Data recovery software. If you try to restore files without removing viruses, then it will keep encrypting your data. So it is advised to delete .Grej Virus completely from your machine.
Automatic Grej Removal Guide
As you already know that, Grej Virus is a notorious and cunning malware that is not hard to remove easily by any user through manual means. This virus can keep coming back on the infected computer through files and shortcuts or settings that it has already created on your machine. Removing all those at once is the only way to get rid of this infection and stop it from getting on your system ever again.
So the best way to remove Grej effectively is to use a powerful Automatic Removal Tool and save your time and efforts. This software is a well-trusted and very powerful anti-malware program that can detect all hidden threats like Trojan, Ransomware, Worms, Spyware, Rootkits, and many others. It also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real-time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware updates make it most effective against the latest malware attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- First, you need to click on the below download button to get the software.
- Then double-click on the installer you downloaded to install the program.
- Launch Anti-Malware application and Start Scan Now of your PC.
- The software will scan your PC for all hidden threats and viruses on your system.
- Click on the Next button to see results and delete Grej and other threats.
How To Recover Your Encrypted Files
Now all your files got encrypted by the .Grej Virus then you need to recover your data without paying ransom money to hackers. If your files are important then you must have created a backup and you can use that backup to recover your files. If you don’t have a backup or this virus has encrypted your backup files, then you are left to seek professional help.
We recommend you use powerful data recovery software to restore your files encrypted .Grej File Virus. It is a risk-free and smart way. You can just download the free version and scan your PC for files. There is a high probability that it can recover most of your files in a fraction of the amount that hackers are demanding. It is also needless to say that paying hackers will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks.
- First, you need to download Data Recovery software on your PC.
- Install the program, launch it then select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- Select the location from where you want to recover data and click the Scan button.
- After the scan, software will list all files, select them and click the Recover button.
Manual Grej Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type msconfig in the Run Box then click the OK button.
- Click on the Boot tab then the System configuration window will appear.
- Choose Safe Boot, check the network box, Click Apply, and press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type taskmgr in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Find Grej related or any malicious process.
- Now right-click on it then click End process.
How To Uninstall Grej from Windows PC
- First of all Press Windows Key + R buttons together.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Run box and then click the OK button.
- Now Programs and Features windows will appear on the screen.
- Find and remove all Grej related or malicious programs.
Remove Virus related Windows Registry entries
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type regedit in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Registry Editor will open, then press CTRL +F buttons together.
- Now type Grej and then click on Find Next button.
- Find all the related entries and delete them one by one
Delete Virus related files from your PCWhen a threat gets on to a PC, it most likely creates some files at different locations on the system. These files are used to perform a specific action and also help malware in getting back to the computer once it’s removed. So you just need to find also delete all those files associated with this .Grej File Virus. For that follow the below instruction :
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard
- Type each of the following in Run Box and press the OK button
Remove Grej Virus via system restore
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type cmd in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- When the System Restore window opens on your computer screen click the Next button, then choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, click on the Yes button to start the system restoration process.
Note: This will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC or it will give an error message. Restoring the computer to a previous version may or may not remove .Grej File Virus. Most of the time, viruses just delete all the restore points. If this trick does not work for you then don’t get disappointed.
After restoring your computer, we recommend you run a thorough scan of the PC using a Powerful Anti-Malware program to detect and remove any hidden threats. In most cases, viruses may spread through any files outside of the C drive because system restoring only affect the C drive. There may be some Virus related files hiding your PC, and it never hurts to double-check.
Sometimes, system restore doesn’t work or viruses can just remove the restore points. As such you will probably have no other choice than to choose the Automatic Removal Process. It is the best and error-free method to find and remove threats from your computer. Additionally, you should also check some important malware prevention tips provided here in this guide to avoid similar virus attacks in the future.
Remove Grej From MacOSIf you are a mac user, and your machine got infected by this nasty file-encrypting malware then you need to remove it as soon as possible. Although Mac systems are quite safe they still do get infected. So you can delete this infection using the below steps:
Stop Malicious Program From Activity Monitor
- First, you need to open Utilities folder on your Mac system.
- Find the Activity Monitor icon and double-click on it to open it.
- Find Grej related process, click the cross button from the upper left side corner to end task.
- A pop-up dialogue box will appear on the screen, click on the Force Quit button.
Remove Virus From Application Folder
- First, go to the Dock option (bottom of your screen) then click on Finder App.
- Now you have to open the Applications Folders to see all the programs.
- Find Grej or any other unwanted program then move it to Trash.
Attention: If you are not tech-savvy, then it could be quite difficult to remove Grej manually from your Mac. The best way is to download ComboCleaner Mac Anti-Malware and see if it can detect all hidden threats and viruses on your computer. It’s really super easy and you should give it a try.ComboCleaner Mac Antivirus allows you to scan your Mac for threats and viruses for free, but you will need to purchase a full license to remove found threats. Read EULA.
Tips To Prevent .Grej Virus in Future
- Use a good anti-virus, be it a free version but don’t use cracked security programs.
- Make sure that your Windows firewall is active, so it can block upcoming threats.
- Keep your Windows/Mac OS and other programs updated to avoid vulnerabilities.
- Download updates only from official websites, don’t use suspicious sites.
- Never download and install pirated software, games, or illegal patches on your PC.
- Do not open spam emails from an unknown sender and scan all attachments before opening.
- Never download freeware third-party programs from unreliable sources or websites.
- Avoid connecting your PC to unsafe public Wi-Fi to protect your privacy.
- You can also use a VPN to spoof your connection and avoid malicious sites.
- Create a system restore point on your system for security purposes.
- Keep backup of all your important files to avoid data loss.
Report cyber attack to Authorities
If you are also a Victim of Grej virus then you should report this cybercrime incident to legal authorities in your county. Here is the list of some of the official government websites for reporting fraud and scam activities:
- United States – Guard Online
- Australia – SCAMwatch
- United Kingdom – Action Fraud
- New Zealand – Consumer Affairs Scams
- Canada – Canadian Anti-Fraud
- Ireland – An Garda Síochána
- India – National Cybercrime Reporting Portal
You can also search to find the Internet Crime Authority in your country. Meanwhile, it will not help you remove or restore your files in any way but it’s merely information to authorities. Once you register your complaint, authorities might look into and take preventive measures to stop further attacks. However, don’t get lured by third-party criminal reporting sites or fake technical support websites. They are more like to cheat you instead of helping you.