CRASH File Virus is another recent malware infection created by cybercriminals. It is a file encrypting virus that belongs to Dharma Ransomware family. After the successful encryption of all the files, a ransom demanding pop-up window is placed on the desktop and a ransom note named as “info.txt” as text file is dropped in all compromised folders.
It renames file by adding the unique ID assigned to the victim and the “.[email@example.com].CRASH” extension to the file names. For example, if a file on your PC has the name “myphoto.jpg” then it will convert into “myphoto.jpg.id-1E857D00.[CRASH@asia.com].CRASH” which cannot be opened without a decryption tool. to make them inaccessible
If all your files get locked with new .CRASH Virus extension, and if you don’t want to pay hefty ransom money for the decryption key then follow this guide. It is aimed to help you remove this virus and decrypt your files without paying money to hackers.
What is .CRASH File Virus
CRASH ransomware is a dangerous data locker malware infection that mainly target Windows PC. It is a variant of Dharma virus which silently intrude the victim’s computer and encrypt all the files stored on that machine. The main motive of this threat is force users to pay ransom money to buy decryption key from hackers to unlock their files. This nasty .CRASH File Virus can be easily identified by the victims because it append .CRASH extension to the end of file names.
Upon the successful intrusion, this dubious threat will scan your entire system for files. Then it will run its powerful encryption algorithm to lock down all your files. After that, .CRASH Virus will leave the ransom note on the infected PC to demand ransom money. Here the motive of this threat is quite clear, it puts its victims into position where they have no other options. This notorious malware infection can encrypt all types of data including Video, Audio, Images, database, backup files and pretty much every other file on the computer.
What .CRASH Virus Ransomware does
.CRASH File Virus is a Ransomware infection which is only interested in blackmailing its victim’s into paying extortion fees. This dubious threat mostly strike in disguise and hide deep into the targeted machine. Users don’t even suspect this threat until it has taken full control over the compromised PC. Suddenly all the files on the targeted computer are encrypted with a powerful RSA encryption algorithm. Victims will then notice that they cannot their file no more and ransom note on their system instruct them to pay for decryption key.
.CRASH Ransomware starts the encryption process soon after the intrusion. Like any other data locker virus, it is quite thorough and lock all the files on targeted PC. This virus also then leave ransom note on the system to notify victims about infection and demand ransom money. That note strictly state that all the files are locked with strongest ciphers and can only be opened by unique .CRASH decryption key. Unfortunately, this key is not free and users have to pay hefty sum of money to buy it from hackers.
Methods hackers use to distribute ransomware
Understanding how ransomware got on your computer is one big mystery. Internet has changed the world so much. Tons of useful information are available on Internet these days, so are the hackers. They are always ready and looking for ways to exploit vulnerabilities and distribute malware. In case of .CRASH File Virus, research shows that it is being spread through spam email campaigns and phishing attacks. Various malvertising techniques are also being used by cybercriminals such as software bundling, pirated software, fake updates and patches and many more.
You should really be careful while installing any new program on your computer and check for any bundled programs. Choose the custom or Advanced installation methods to avoid any malicious attachments. Do not browse porn or torrent sites, and never download pirated software or application on your computer. Avoid sharing files on unsafe network and clicking on annoying pop-ups on your browser. If you want to avoid threats like .CRASH Virus in future then be sure to check preventive tips mentioned at the end of this guide.
CRASH Ransomware: Threat Analysis
Criminals demand hefty ransom
As mentioned earlier, the most important thing about Ransomware infection is extortion. The whole purpose of cryptovirus is to force users to pay ransom money. This .CRASH File virus just like same as others and it is highly motivated to force its victims into paying money. The ransom note left by virus has the sole motive of delivering the message to the victims.
Although hackers claims to give decryption key which allegedly can recover all your encrypted files but you should not trust them. It is not wise to make any deal in haste because many victims got scammed. We have got some many reports where victims claims that after paying ransom money hackers stop responding to their emails. It is highly possible that .CRASH virus creators just take your money and block you out completely. Its not like you can complain them or get them arrested because there is no way of tracking who got your money.
What to do once your PC is infected
If your computer is infected by .CRASH File Virus, then it means all your files are already encrypted. You probably have read the ransom note which says that there is no way of restoring your files. You might have came to realize that only way to recover your data is by purchasing the decryption key from hackers. There is no free decryptor has been yet released for this malware.
However, we highly recommend that you don’t pay any money to hackers. This course of action will only bring loss and cybercriminals behind CRASH virus will get away with your money. Paying ransom money also motivate hackers to carry out more attacks to make profit. This ransom note is only a ruse and means to lure victims into paying money to recover their files. It is not wise to risk your money where your files are already hijacked by hackers.
No matter how tempting it is to just pay the hackers whatever they want and recover your files but it is a bad idea. It is not worth wasting your sleep over and definitely not worth losing your money. If you have made backup of your files on any external drive or cloud storage then you can easily restore your files. But first thing you need to understand is removing CRASH Ransomware is the priority here. You can restore your files later through alternate ways like backup or via data recovery software.
What to do with CRASH ransomware virus
As we have said earlier that the best course of action is to remove this virus from your PC. It is very crucial that you remove all the files related to this malware at once to get rid of it completely. Otherwise it may keep coming back to your system again and again. We strongly suggest you to use a powerful Anti-Malware Application to remove .CRASH File Virus from your PC. We have created a detailed guide to help you remove this infection. For permanent removal of this threat you should combine Automatic and Manual Removal steps and then try Data Recovery software to recover your files.
How To Remove CRASH File Virus
Automatic CRASH Virus Removal Guide
It can be hectic to remove threats from an infected PC but the use of powerful Anti-Malware can make it quite easy. SpyHunter anti-malware can help you to remove Trojan, Ransomware, Spyware, Adware, PUPs, etc. easily. You can scan your system for CRASH virus and all other hidden threats at once. All you need to do is to download this software and run a new scan on your PC.
It will find all the threats and viruses in no time and save you lots of time and effort. This amazing software also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware definition updates make it most effective against the latest attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- You will begin by downloading the software on your system for which you have to click on the below download button.
- Once the software has been downloaded, double-click on SpyHunter-Installer.exe to install the Anti-Malware program on your PC and proceed with the setup.
- After installation, you will need to launch the Anti-Malware application. From the welcome screen click on the Start Scan Now button to initiate a new scan of your PC.
- Once the scanning process begins, it will take some time to run a thorough diagnostic of your PC and find all hidden threats and malware.
- Soon you will find a complete list of all the threats on your system screen. Then you will need to click on the Next button to delete all the viruses.
How To Decrypt .CRASH Files
As there is no CRASH ransomware decryptor available, you will need to use alternate options to restore your files. The first one is to use the backup. If you have created a backup of your important files then it is going to be quite easy. However, if you don’t have any backup files or they also got encrypted by the virus then you will have to try a data recovery software.
We recommend using Stellar Data Recovery software because it is a powerful and trusted data recovery software. Paying ransom money is not ideal because it will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks. You can wait for any free decryptor to be launched but it can take forever. Download the free trial version of data recovery and scan your PC for files. It may be able to recover some of your files and save you lots of money.
- Click on the below download button to get started instantly with the data recovery process on your PC.
- After the download click on the installer file and complete the software installation. Then launch the application and select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- After the selection of data, you will need to select the location from where you want to recover data. Choose the location and then click on the Scan button.
- The software will take some time to scan your system. You will see a list of all the files that can be recovered. You can preview them or click on the Recover button to save them.
Manual CRASH Virus Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Click on the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard to open the Windows Run Box.
- Now you will need to type in MSConfig and then click the OK button.
- The System configuration settings box will appear on your computer screen.
- Click on the Boot tab, check the Safe Boot option, and select the network box,
- Finally, you will have to click on Apply and then press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Open the Windows Rub box again on your PC by pressing the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard.
- This time you will have to type in taskmgr and then click the OK button to open Windows Task Manager. Look for any unknown or malicious running on your system.
- Select the process which is taking lots of systems resources and then click on the End Task button.
Uninstall CRASH Virus from Control Panel
- Again you will need to open the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- This time you need to open the Windows Control Panel, so type in appwiz.cpl and then click the OK button.
- Programs and Features windows will appear on your computer screen with a list of all the installed applications.
- Now you need to look for any unknown or virus related program and then Uninstall it from your PC.
Remove CRASH Virus From Registry Editor
- Again open the Windows Run Box on your PC by using the Windows and R keys.
- To open the Windows Registry Editor, type in Regedit and click the OK button.
- Now you will have to find the virus related registry files and remove them.
- Press CTRL and F keys together on the keyboard to start a Find query.
- Type the virus name and click on Find Next button to find malicious entries and delete them.
Remove Malicious IP addresses from Windows Hosts Files
- To open the Windows hosts file, simply press the Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now you will need to access the Windows hosts file using Notepad.
- Most threats add malicious IP addresses here to automatically connect to remote servers.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses below the localhost and save the file.
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When malware infects your system, it normally creates several malicious files and spread them at different locations. After you remove the malware, these leftover files help them to get back to your computer. Remove all virus related files at once by following the below instruction :
- Open the Windows Run Box again by using the Windows and R keys together.
- Now you will open the below paths one by one using the Run Box and remove malicious files.
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the CRASH File Virus and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files at once. Use Ctrl, Shift, and Delete keys together for permanent removal.
Remove CRASH Virus via system restore
- You will again need the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing in cmd and then clicking the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- The System Restore window will get opened instantly then click on the Next button.
- Choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, when you will hit the Yes button, the system restoration process with start immediately.
Note: System restore to remove a virus will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC. Otherwise, no changes will be made to your system and it will not remove any threats. Be advised, restoring the computer to a previous version does not always guarantee virus removal. Most viruses delete restore points, so don’t get disappointed if this trick does not work for you.