Is your system infected with CTB-Locker Ransomware? Are you unable to access your important file? Don’t know how your system got infected? Want to know how to remove this infection and recover your files?
Actually this nasty virus encrypts all your data and appends the “.ctbl” extension to all the filenames. For an instance, if a file named “1.jpg” gets encrypted, it would become “1.jpg.ctbl”. Upon file encryption, this virus also leaves the ransom message to demand money for the decryptor.
Read this post and follow the instructions carefully in order to regain access to all your encrypted files easily. This guide will provide you required help to get rid of CTB-Locker Ransomware completely from your Windows computer system.
What is CTB-Locker Ransomware?
CTB-Locker is a harmful ransomware designed by cybercriminals with the sole intention to extort money from the user’s pocket. Upon infiltration, CTB-Locker Ransomware locks all the files stored on the system with an encryption key and then asks the user to pay ransom money in order to get the decryption code to unlock the files. After encryption, it will leave a ransom note on your system asking you to pay money and if you fail to do so, your computer will be corrupted completely. This nasty virus uses a very strong infection that uses RSA encryption and makes it quite difficult for the victim to access their files.
Apart from encrypting files, CTB-Locker Ransomware also causes several other issues. It can delete your important data even if you pay the ransom money. The presence of this ransomware infection will keep encrypting any new file on your PC. If you don’t remove this threat, it will make your system completely useless. This dubious Ransomware will cease access to all your files and demand ransom money. It will rename your files by adding its own extension at the end of every file name. It is not certain that you will get back your files after paying the ransom. So it is recommended to delete CTB-Locker Ransomware soon from your computer.
To be more clear, CTB-Locker Ransomware can cause modifications to your default web browser as well as homepage settings and make you unable to browse the Internet or perform any task over the compromised machine. This very threat may disable all security programs including task manager and a firewall. Cyber experts suggest not paying any money to hackers behind such threats because this would not solve your troubles, in fact, it will raise some new ones. Hence, it is recommended to use a powerful Malware Removal Tool to remove CTB-Locker Ransomware quickly when detected.
CTB-Locker Ransomware: Threat Analysis
How your PC infected by CTB-Locker Ransomware?
This notorious CTB-Locker Ransomware silently sneaks into your machine through bundled free third-party programs, spam emails, suspicious websites, shareware, and other tricks. Creators of freeware programs mostly allow bundling of other applications to make a profit out of their free services. So in such cases, when you install that kind of freeware then the virus will get installed automatically.
Apart from this, such threats can also alter your computer when you visit porn websites, download fake software updates, share files on an unsafe network, or use any contaminated USB stick. Once installed on your system, it will also block your anti-virus and firewall security to carry on its malignant activities.
Paying money is not an option
It is not safe to pay ransom money to CTB-Locker Ransomware because it is not sure that hackers will give you the decryption key. This all is a big con and this virus is only interested in blackmailing users for money. Hackers are not really intended to give you the decryption key. Paying extortion will only boost their motivation to carry more similar attacks. You must cut off all communications with hackers and focus on removing this virus from your system. Once you successfully remove CTB-Locker Ransomware from your PC then you can recover your files through an alternative method. It would not be easy and neither be free but dealing with hackers is always bad.
What to do after infection
One possibility of data recovery is to recover your files from a backup. If you keep a regular backup of your important data, just remove this CTB-Locker Ransomware and recover your files. But without removing this infection, you will only risk your backup files. If you don’t have a backup then you can try restoring your files through Data Recovery Software. For this, you still need to remove this virus first. Another possibility is to keep your encrypted files on an external drive and wait for somebody to release a free decryptor which could take months or even years. So in my opinion you should delete CTB-Locker Ransomware ASAP from your system and try to recover your files.
How To Remove CTB-Locker Ransomware
Automatic CTB-Locker Ransomware Removal Guide
It can be hectic to remove threats from an infected PC but the use of powerful Anti-Malware can make it quite easy. SpyHunter anti-malware can help you to remove Trojan, Ransomware, Spyware, Adware, PUPs, etc. easily. You can scan your system for CTB-Locker Ransomware and all other hidden threats at once. All you need to do is to download this software and run a new scan on your PC.
It will find all the threats and viruses in no time and save you lots of time and effort. This amazing software also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware definition updates make it most effective against the latest attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- You will begin by downloading the software on your system for which you have to click on the below download button.
- Once the software has been downloaded, double-click on SpyHunter-Installer.exe to install the Anti-Malware program on your PC and proceed with the setup.
- After installation, you will need to launch the Anti-Malware application. From the welcome screen click on the Start Scan Now button to initiate a new scan of your PC.
- Once the scanning process begins, it will take some time to run a thorough diagnostic of your PC and find all hidden threats and malware.
- Soon you will find a complete list of all the threats on your system screen. Then you will need to click on the Next button to delete all the viruses.
How To Decrypt CTB-Locker Ransomware Files
As there is no CTB-Locker Ransomware decryptor available, you will need to use alternate options to restore your files. The first one is to use the backup. If you have created a backup of your important files then it is going to be quite easy. However, if you don’t have any backup files or they also got encrypted by the virus then you will have to try a data recovery software.
We recommend using Stellar Data Recovery software because it is a powerful and trusted data recovery software. Paying ransom money is not ideal because it will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks. You can wait for any free decryptor to be launched but it can take forever. Download the free trial version of data recovery and scan your PC for files. It may be able to recover some of your files and save you lots of money.
- Click on the below download button to get started instantly with the data recovery process on your PC.
- After the download click on the installer file and complete the software installation. Then launch the application and select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- After the selection of data, you will need to select the location from where you want to recover data. Choose the location and then click on the Scan button.
- The software will take some time to scan your system. You will see a list of all the files that can be recovered. You can preview them or click on the Recover button to save them.
Manual CTB-Locker Ransomware Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Click on the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard to open the Windows Run Box.
- Now you will need to type in MSConfig and then click the OK button.
- The System configuration settings box will appear on your computer screen.
- Click on the Boot tab, check the Safe Boot option, and select the network box,
- Finally, you will have to click on Apply and then press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Open the Windows Rub box again on your PC by pressing the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard.
- This time you will have to type in taskmgr and then click the OK button to open Windows Task Manager. Look for any unknown or malicious running on your system.
- Select the process which is taking lots of systems resources and then click on the End Task button.
Uninstall CTB-Locker Ransomware from Control Panel
- Again you will need to open the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- This time you need to open the Windows Control Panel, so type in appwiz.cpl and then click the OK button.
- Programs and Features windows will appear on your computer screen with a list of all the installed applications.
- Now you need to look for any unknown or virus related program and then Uninstall it from your PC.
Remove CTB-Locker Ransomware From Registry Editor
- Again open the Windows Run Box on your PC by using the Windows and R keys.
- To open the Windows Registry Editor, type in Regedit and click the OK button.
- Now you will have to find the virus related registry files and remove them.
- Press CTRL and F keys together on the keyboard to start a Find query.
- Type the virus name and click on Find Next button to find malicious entries and delete them.
Remove Malicious IP addresses from Windows Hosts Files
- To open the Windows hosts file, simply press the Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now you will need to access the Windows hosts file using Notepad.
- Most threats add malicious IP addresses here to automatically connect to remote servers.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses below the localhost and save the file.
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When malware infects your system, it normally creates several malicious files and spread them at different locations. After you remove the malware, these leftover files help them to get back to your computer. Remove all virus related files at once by following the below instruction :
- Open the Windows Run Box again by using the Windows and R keys together.
- Now you will open the below paths one by one using the Run Box and remove malicious files.
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the CTB-Locker Ransomware and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files at once. Use Ctrl, Shift, and Delete keys together for permanent removal.
Remove CTB-Locker Ransomware via system restore
- You will again need the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing in cmd and then clicking the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- The System Restore window will get opened instantly then click on the Next button.
- Choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, when you will hit the Yes button, the system restoration process with start immediately.
Note: System restore to remove a virus will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC. Otherwise, no changes will be made to your system and it will not remove any threats. Be advised, restoring the computer to a previous version does not always guarantee virus removal. Most viruses delete restore points, so don’t get disappointed if this trick does not work for you.