Is your computer infected by the Darj Ransomware virus? Are all your files got contaminated by the “.darj” file virus extension? Are you unable to get rid of this infection or unlock your files? Actually, it is a file-encrypting malware that belongs to Stop/Djvu Ransomware family.
Darj File Virus blackmails users to pay ransom money for a decryptor after encrypting their files. It can restrict access to all types of files, documents, videos, music, backup, database, etc. on an infected PC. You can see its malicious extension at the end of all encrypted files. For example, a file named “myphoto.jpg” would appear as “myphoto.jpg.darj”, which you cannot access.
You will also find the “_readme.txt” ransom note in all contaminated folders. If you want to regain access to your data, do not pay ransom money to hackers. Read this guide to learn how to remove Darj Virus from your computer. Know about alternative methods to restore your files without paying ransom money.
What is Darj Ransomware?
Darj File Virus is a dangerous computer infection. It belongs to the infamous Djvu family. This cunning malware infection can easily get into your computer. Like other ransomware threats, it will encrypt your data and demand ransom money. After successfully encrypting your files, it appends its own malicious extension to compromised files.
As mentioned above, you will find the “_readme.txt” ransom note on your PC. It says that all your files are encrypted and you need a private decryption key to unlock those files. The note contains instructions to contact attackers to buy the decryption tool. This nasty Darj Virus infection will demand ransom money through Bitcoin because it cannot be tracked.
This nasty Darj Ransomware is a really serious threat to your PC. It can corrupt all your system files and make you unable to access your data. This dubious threat will not allow you to even open your files. It will strictly prohibit any kind of access to encrypted data. If you will move your data to any external storage device still then you will get only the encrypted copy of your files. You will also not be able to access those data on any other computer.
How it infects your PC?
Darj File Virus can spread in different ways. It is hard to determine how it got on your system specifically. Cybercriminals mostly use software bundling and spam email campaigns to deliver such threats. When you download any freeware application from shady websites, they might carry malicious attachments. Use the custom installation process and read EULA carefully to avoid the installation of hidden programs. Do not open spam emails from unknown senders and do not click on any link or open attachments without scanning.
Apart from this, Darj Virus can also get on your system through browsing porn or torrent sites. These kinds of sites cause unwanted and forced redirection of browsers on phishing websites. Those sites most likely host malicious scripts that trigger automatic malware downloads. Sites asking for cookie permission to show pop-up notifications can also do the same.
Downloading pirated or cracked software and games can also bring such threats on your PC. These kinds of programs are created by using hack tools, a type of Trojan infection that can be used to deliver threats to the host computer. Installing illegal patches and fake software updates, sharing files on unsafe websites, and using an infected USB drive can bring this virus to your system.
Is my PC infected by Darj Virus?
If you are unable to open your files, documents, images, videos, etc. on your PC because they have a “.darj” extension, then Yes, your computer is infected. These kinds of crypto-virus mainly get installed on the targeted PC through unknown installers and encrypt all the files. In the case of Darj File Virus infection, you will find no symptoms of infection until all your files and locked.
This nasty virus scans the entire hard drive for files and then uses its powerful AES/RSA encryption algorithm to encrypt files. Upon successful encoding, it will leave ransom note “readme.txt” behind to demand the extortion fee. It claims that there is no other way to recover your data except by purchasing the private decryption key generated for your system.
Darj Ransomware: Threat Analysis
File Encryption and Ransom Demand
Darj Ransomware uses a very powerful encryption algorithm to encrypt your files. There is no way to break the encryption without the decryption key. Unfortunately, there is no free decryptor available for this infection even though it has been terrorizing innocent victims for a while now. Due to frequent changes to the ransomware variants, security researchers have not been able to develop any free decryptor.
Darj File Virus infection is quite cunning and its deception is also very good. It is offering a 50% discount on the ransom fee if victims pay under 72 hours. The original price of the decryptor is $980 in Bitcoin, but one can purchase it for $490 if they within 3 days. This nasty virus is also offering decryption of 1 file for free as proof. It asks users to contact through the email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. It is a good negotiation technique because victims often try to get discount offers.
Why you should not pay ransom money?
If you are thinking of paying ransom money to Darj File Virus then it is a bad idea. Attackers are threatening to double the ransom fee in 72 hours. They are only trying to intimidate you and stop you from seeking help. Cybercriminals often stop communicating after getting paid. Most of the victims don’t get the decryption key after paying money.
Djvu variants are known to re-attack the previous targets. Once you use the decryptor, the virus stays on your PC and the next variant can re-encrypt your data. You need to completely get rid of this infection to stop further damage. Decryptors don’t always work, sometimes data get corrupted, so it is not sure that you will get your files back. We advise you not to trust the attackers, no matter how desperate you are, don’t risk losing your money too.
Ransom note “readme.txt” contains the following text messages :
ATTENTION! Don’t worry, you can return all your files! All your files like photos, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key. The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you. This software will decrypt all your encrypted files. What guarantees you have? You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free. But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information. You can get and look video overview decrypt tool: hxxps://we.tl/t-Oc0xgfzC7q Price of private key and decrypt software is $980. Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours, that’s price for you is $490. Please note that you’ll never restore your data without payment. Check your e-mail “Spam” or “Junk” folder if you don’t get answer more than 6 hours. To get this software you need write on our e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Reserve e-mail address to contact us: email@example.com Your personal ID: -
What to do after infection?
There is no way to break the encryption but you cannot trust hackers to give you decryption tools after you pay. Although paying extortion will only boost their motive to plan more attacks like this. Most of the victims get cheated by Ransomware and they don’t get the decryptor. Cybercriminals close all communication after getting the money.
So your best bet is to remove this infection completely from your PC. As far as the matter of your encrypted files are concerned, you can either recover your files through backup or try any data recovery software. You can also make a copy of your encrypted data on any cloud storage and wait for free decryption. But you need to remove Darj Ransomware completely from your system because it will keep encrypting your files.
How To Remove Darj File Virus
Automatic Darj Ransomware Removal Guide
It can be hectic to remove threats from an infected PC but the use of powerful Anti-Malware can make it quite easy. SpyHunter anti-malware can help you to remove Trojan, Ransomware, Spyware, Adware, PUPs, etc. easily. You can scan your system for Darj File virus and all other hidden threats at once. All you need to do is to download this software and run a new scan on your PC.
It will find all the threats and viruses in no time and save you lots of time and effort. This amazing software also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware definition updates make it most effective against the latest attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- You will begin by downloading the software on your system for which you have to click on the below download button.
- Once the software has been downloaded, double-click on SpyHunter-Installer.exe to install the Anti-Malware program on your PC and proceed with the setup.
- After installation, you will need to launch the Anti-Malware application. From the welcome screen click on the Start Scan Now button to initiate a new scan of your PC.
- Once the scanning process begins, it will take some time to run a thorough diagnostic of your PC and find all hidden threats and malware.
- Soon you will find a complete list of all the threats on your system screen. Then you will need to click on the Next button to delete all the viruses.
How To Decrypt .Darj Files
As there is no Darj ransomware decryptor available, you will need to use alternate options to restore your files. The first one is to use the backup. If you have created a backup of your important files then it is going to be quite easy. However, if you don’t have any backup files or they also got encrypted by the virus then you will have to try a data recovery software.
We recommend using Stellar Data Recovery software because it is a powerful and trusted data recovery software. Paying ransom money is not ideal because it will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks. You can wait for any free decryptor to be launched but it can take forever. Download the free trial version of data recovery and scan your PC for files. It may be able to recover some of your files and save you lots of money.
- Click on the below download button to get started instantly with the data recovery process on your PC.
- After the download click on the installer file and complete the software installation. Then launch the application and select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- After the selection of data, you will need to select the location from where you want to recover data. Choose the location and then click on the Scan button.
- The software will take some time to scan your system. You will see a list of all the files that can be recovered. You can preview them or click on the Recover button to save them.
Manual Darj File Virus Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Click on the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard to open the Windows Run Box.
- Now you will need to type in MSConfig and then click the OK button.
- The System configuration settings box will appear on your computer screen.
- Click on the Boot tab, check the Safe Boot option, and select the network box,
- Finally, you will have to click on Apply and then press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Open the Windows Rub box again on your PC by pressing the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard.
- This time you will have to type in taskmgr and then click the OK button to open Windows Task Manager. Look for any unknown or malicious running on your system.
- Select the process which is taking lots of systems resources and then click on the End Task button.
Uninstall Darj Virus from Control Panel
- Again you will need to open the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- This time you need to open the Windows Control Panel, so type in appwiz.cpl and then click the OK button.
- Programs and Features windows will appear on your computer screen with a list of all the installed applications.
- Now you need to look for any unknown or Darj Ransomware related program and then Uninstall it from your PC.
Remove Darj Virus From Registry Editor
- Again open the Windows Run Box on your PC by using the Windows and R keys.
- To open the Windows Registry Editor, type in Regedit and click the OK button.
- Now you will have to find the Darj Ransomware related registry files and remove them.
- Press CTRL and F keys together on the keyboard to start a Find query.
- Type the virus name and click on Find Next button to find malicious entries and delete them.
Remove Malicious IP addresses from Windows Hosts Files
- To open the Windows hosts file, simply press the Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now you will need to access the Windows hosts file using Notepad.
- Most threats add malicious IP addresses here to automatically connect to remote servers.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses below the localhost and save the file.
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When malware infects your system, it normally creates several malicious files and spread them at different locations. After you remove the malware, these leftover files help them to get back to your computer. Remove all virus related files at once by following the below instruction :
- Open the Windows Run Box again by using the Windows and R keys together.
- Now you will open the below paths one by one using the Run Box and remove malicious files.
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the Darj File Virus and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files at once. Use Ctrl, Shift, and Delete keys together for permanent removal.
Remove Darj Ransomware via system restore
- You will again need the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing in cmd and then clicking the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- The System Restore window will get opened instantly then click on the Next button.
- Choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, when you will hit the Yes button, the system restoration process with start immediately.
Note: System restore to remove a Darj File Virus will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC. Otherwise, no changes will be made to your system and it will not remove any threats. Be advised, restoring the computer to a previous version does not always guarantee virus removal. Most viruses delete restore points, so don’t get disappointed if this trick does not work for you.