Faust Virus is a nasty file encrypting malware that belongs to the Phobos Ransomware group. It encrypts all the files on the infected PC and leaves a ransom note to demand extortion money. While encrypting your data, it appends the Victims’ unique ID, cyber criminal’s email address, and a “.faust” extension to original file names.
For example, a file named “1.jpg” would become “1.jpg.id[9ECFA84E-3421].[email@example.com].faust” after encryption process. After encrypting all your files, ransom notes “info.hta” (pop-up window) and “info.txt” (text file) are created on the infected PC. The note contains threatening messages and instructions to contact attackers for buying the decryptor. Read this guide to know how to remove this virus and recover files.
What is Faust Virus
If you encounter this dubious Faust malware on your system then it is safe to assume that all your files have been encrypted and you are not able to access any of your data. After successful encryption of your files, this nasty Faust File virus will also add its malicious extension to all the file names to mark them locked and then leave a ransom note on your system demanding money to give you the decryption key. It is a serious threat and all your files are now hijacked which can not be deciphered without the private key generated for your system.
Faust Virus will ask you in its ransom note that all your files are encrypted and can be decoded but you will need a decryption key that you can only get by paying ransom money through BitCoin. Hackers behind this threat will ask you to send some of your files with your unique ID for free decryption to prove that they can recover your files once you pay the money. It is a phishing technique and most users fall for this kind of trick. When attackers recover some of the encrypted files, then victims get more than willing to pay ransom money. They simply hope that they can recover all their files at once after paying ransom money.
How does your PC get Infected?
Faust File Virus mostly enters your system secretly and thus you don’t even know notice when and how all your files got encrypted. Hackers use spam email techniques to send malicious attachments directly to the targeted machine through the user’s inbox and viruses get installed as soon as the user opens that mail. Your system could get infected by this nasty virus when you download bundled freeware programs, shareware applications, cracked software, illegal patches, etc. from untrusted and shady websites that are more likely used by hackers for spreading malware.
This deceptive Faust Ransomware infection could also contaminate your system when you browse porn or torrent sites, click on ads, pop-ups, banners, etc. that redirect your browser to malicious websites, share files on unsafe networks, and other social engineering attack methods. So you need to be very careful around the Internet if you want to avoid any malware attacks. You should also keep a backup of all your important files in case of Ransomware intrusion.
Faust Ransomware: Threat Analysis
Why not pay Ransom money
One thing you should know is that most of the victims complain that they got cheated by ransomware viruses. They did not get any decryption tool after they sent the money. Cybercriminals even stop responding to their emails and they never get any reply about how to recover their files. So it is quite clear that paying extortion money is not a good idea because hackers do not restore encrypted data ever.
What to do now
Now the fact is Faust virus has encrypted all your files you need them back but there is no way you can trust hackers for decoding your data after your pay the ransom fees. There is no free decryptor available for the Phobos ransomware or this particular variant which makes the situation more harassing. So now you are left with some very important choices like first creating a backup of all your encrypted files and storing them on any cloud drive. Now if you have a backup of your data then you can simply remove this virus from your computer using the Automatic Malware Removal software and recover your files through backup.
If you don’t have a backup of your files, then you first remove Faust virus and then try to recover your files through shadow file recovery which can only recover files from the C drive. If you want to recover all your data then you can use Data Recovery Software to restore all your files. Now if you want the free solution, you may have to wait for a long time for any free decryptor.
Reinstalling Windows or formatting your computer will not do any good because this virus can still get back up on your system, but it will eliminate any chance you have of recovering your files because your hard drive will get overwritten after which no data recovery process will work. So you are advised to follow the below guide to permanently remove Faust File Virus from your computer and recover your files using data recovery software.
How To Remove Faust File Virus
Automatic Faust Virus Removal Guide
It can be hectic to remove threats from an infected PC but the use of powerful Anti-Malware can make it quite easy. SpyHunter anti-malware can help you to remove Trojan, Ransomware, Spyware, Adware, PUPs, etc. easily. You can scan your system for Faust virus and all other hidden threats at once. All you need to do is to download this software and run a new scan on your PC.
It will find all the threats and viruses in no time and save you lots of time and effort. This amazing software also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware definition updates make it most effective against the latest attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- You will begin by downloading the software on your system for which you have to click on the below download button.
- Once the software has been downloaded, double-click on SpyHunter-Installer.exe to install the Anti-Malware program on your PC and proceed with the setup.
- After installation, you will need to launch the Anti-Malware application. From the welcome screen click on the Start Scan Now button to initiate a new scan of your PC.
- Once the scanning process begins, it will take some time to run a thorough diagnostic of your PC and find all hidden threats and malware.
- Soon you will find a complete list of all the threats on your system screen. Then you will need to click on the Next button to delete all the viruses.
How To Decrypt .Faust Files
As there is no Faust ransomware decryptor available, you will need to use alternate options to restore your files. The first one is to use the backup. If you have created a backup of your important files then it is going to be quite easy. However, if you don’t have any backup files or they also got encrypted by the virus then you will have to try a data recovery software.
We recommend using Stellar Data Recovery software because it is a powerful and trusted data recovery software. Paying ransom money is not ideal because it will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks. You can wait for any free decryptor to be launched but it can take forever. Download the free trial version of data recovery and scan your PC for files. It may be able to recover some of your files and save you lots of money.
- Click on the below download button to get started instantly with the data recovery process on your PC.
- After the download click on the installer file and complete the software installation. Then launch the application and select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- After the selection of data, you will need to select the location from where you want to recover data. Choose the location and then click on the Scan button.
- The software will take some time to scan your system. You will see a list of all the files that can be recovered. You can preview them or click on the Recover button to save them.
Manual Faust Virus Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Click on the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard to open the Windows Run Box.
- Now you will need to type in MSConfig and then click the OK button.
- The System configuration settings box will appear on your computer screen.
- Click on the Boot tab, check the Safe Boot option, and select the network box,
- Finally, you will have to click on Apply and then press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Open the Windows Rub box again on your PC by pressing the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard.
- This time you will have to type in taskmgr and then click the OK button to open Windows Task Manager. Look for any unknown or malicious running on your system.
- Select the process which is taking lots of systems resources and then click on the End Task button.
Uninstall Faust Virus from Control Panel
- Again you will need to open the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- This time you need to open the Windows Control Panel, so type in appwiz.cpl and then click the OK button.
- Programs and Features windows will appear on your computer screen with a list of all the installed applications.
- Now you need to look for any unknown or virus related program and then Uninstall it from your PC.
Remove Faust Virus From Registry Editor
- Again open the Windows Run Box on your PC by using the Windows and R keys.
- To open the Windows Registry Editor, type in Regedit and click the OK button.
- Now you will have to find the virus related registry files and remove them.
- Press CTRL and F keys together on the keyboard to start a Find query.
- Type the virus name and click on Find Next button to find malicious entries and delete them.
Remove Malicious IP addresses from Windows Hosts Files
- To open the Windows hosts file, simply press the Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now you will need to access the Windows hosts file using Notepad.
- Most threats add malicious IP addresses here to automatically connect to remote servers.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses below the localhost and save the file.
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When malware infects your system, it normally creates several malicious files and spread them at different locations. After you remove the malware, these leftover files help them to get back to your computer. Remove all virus related files at once by following the below instruction :
- Open the Windows Run Box again by using the Windows and R keys together.
- Now you will open the below paths one by one using the Run Box and remove malicious files.
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the Faust File Virus and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files at once. Use Ctrl, Shift, and Delete keys together for permanent removal.
Remove Faust Virus via system restore
- You will again need the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing in cmd and then clicking the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- The System Restore window will get opened instantly then click on the Next button.
- Choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, when you will hit the Yes button, the system restoration process with start immediately.
Note: System restore to remove a virus will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC. Otherwise, no changes will be made to your system and it will not remove any threats. Be advised, restoring the computer to a previous version does not always guarantee virus removal. Most viruses delete restore points, so don’t get disappointed if this trick does not work for you.