.LockFiles virus is a notorious Ransomware virus created by hackers to encrypt victims’ personal files and force them to pay ransom money. It is a variant of the infamous MedusaLocker Ransomware family. If all your files got the “.LockFiles” extension at the end then it means your computer is infected by this malware.
As this nasty virus encrypts your files, it renames the original filenames. For example, if it encrypts a file named “myphoto.jpg” then it would appear as “myphoto.jpg.LockFiles” which you cannot access. After the successful encryption of all your files, ransom notes “how_to_back_files.html” are left in all the folders. This guide is aimed to help your remove this virus and restore your files without paying money to hackers.
What is LockFiles (MedusaLocker) Ransomware
LockFiles Ransomware is a harmful file encryption virus which is been reported by researchers to use a strong AES-256 encryption key algorithm to encrypt the files of an infected computer system. Like the other ransomware, LockFiles (MedusaLocker) virus also overtakes your confidential data and asks you to pay a ransom from the victim. It generally takes the advantage of Windows’ default behavior of hiding the extension from file names to disguise the real extension of the malicious file hidden in it.
Once installed, .LockFiles File Virus will completely take over your machine. It will encrypt all your personal and important files and add its own extension to the end of all your file names to mark them as encoded using its encryption key. It will demand ransom money to give you the decryption key that may decipher your data and you will be able to access your files. This .LockFiles Virus Ransomware is a dangerous PC infection that leaves no choice to the user other than to pay extortion fees but it is only aimed to cheat innocent users and thug their money, it will not decrypt your files as it promises.
Ransomware spread in various ways
.LockFiles File Virus mostly intrudes on your computer bundled with free third-party programs that users download from shady websites. Those free applications may carry hidden attachments that can secretly get installed without asking permission. Spam email campaigns are another very often used method of malware spreading. Hackers hide malicious codes in attachments and send them to a large number of potential victims through automated software. When someone opens such an email and downloads attachments, threats like LockFiles (MedusaLocker) virus can easily get installed.
Unwanted pop-up ads and forced browser redirects are not only annoying but they can be used for malware distribution too. Cybercriminals use Redirect viruses or adware like an infection to drive traffic on malicious sites which can trigger the download of .LockFiles Virus and similar threats automatically. Browsing torrent websites and downloading pirated software could also bring nasty viruses to your computer. So you are advised to steer clear from these activities and scan your PC regularly for potential threats.
LockFiles Ransomware: Threat Analysis
Ransom Message is left by Virus
As soon as the files get encrypted, LockFiles Virus will leave a ransom note in every folder on your system to demand ransom money. It may also show a warning message on your computer screen when you try to access encrypted files. The ransom note that it has already been placed on your system, contains brief information about encryption, how to recover your files, how much to pay, hackers’ contact details, and the payment method.
Sometimes you may get the dreaded screen from LockFiles Ransomware demanding the ransom for which you must not proceed further or take any action in hurry. Paying the ransom money does not guarantee the decryption of your files safely. Most of the ransomware victims who choose to pay the ransom amount to get the decryption key, end up losing both their files and money.
The Ransom note (“how_to_back_files.html”) contains the following instructions :
YOUR PERSONAL ID: /!\ YOUR COMPANY NETWORK HAS BEEN PENETRATED /!\ All your important files have been encrypted! Your files are safe! Only modified. (RSA+AES) ANY ATTEMPT TO RESTORE YOUR FILES WITH THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE WILL PERMANENTLY CORRUPT IT. DO NOT MODIFY ENCRYPTED FILES. DO NOT RENAME ENCRYPTED FILES. No software available on internet can help you. We are the only ones able to solve your problem. We gathered highly confidential/personal data. These data are currently stored on a private server. This server will be immediately destroyed after your payment. If you decide to not pay, we will release your data to public or re-seller. So you can expect your data to be publicly available in the near future.. We only seek money and our goal is not to damage your reputation or prevent your business from running. You will can send us 2-3 non-important files and we will decrypt it for free to prove we are able to give your files back. Contact us for price and get decryption software. * Note that this server is available via Tor browser only Follow the instructions to open the link: 1. Type the addres "hxxps://www.torproject.org" in your Internet browser. It opens the Tor site. 2. Press "Download Tor", then press "Download Tor Browser Bundle", install and run it. 3. Now you have Tor browser. In the Tor Browser open 4. Start a chat and follow the further instructions. If you can not use the above link, use the email: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com * To contact us, create a new free email account on the site: protonmail.com IF YOU DON'T CONTACT US WITHIN 72 HOURS, PRICE WILL BE HIGHER.
Few points which show Ransomware infection :
- All your files will be encrypted and you cannot access them.
- Your files will contain strange and unknown extensions at the end.
- A text or HTML file of instructions can be found in every folder.
- Victims will be asked to pay the ransom in Bitcoins for the decryption key.
- All media files like audio, videos, images, documents, databases, etc. will be locked.
What to do after encryption
As said above, .LockFiles File Virus encrypts the discovered files with a very strong cipher and makes them inaccessible. If your computer is infected by this virus, then it will keep encrypting your files until its removed. This virus can be very hard to remove as it makes various changes to the compromised system and create lots of files. You must remove all the associated files completely to get rid of LockFiles Virus at once. We have created a guide that can help you delete this infection. Once done with the removal process, you can also try Data Recovery Software to see if it can restore your encrypted files to their original format.
How To Remove LockFiles File Virus
Automatic LockFiles Virus Removal Guide
It can be hectic to remove threats from an infected PC but the use of powerful Anti-Malware can make it quite easy. SpyHunter anti-malware can help you to remove Trojan, Ransomware, Spyware, Adware, PUPs, etc. easily. You can scan your system for LockFiles virus and all other hidden threats at once. All you need to do is to download this software and run a new scan on your PC.
It will find all the threats and viruses in no time and save you lots of time and effort. This amazing software also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware definition updates make it most effective against the latest attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- You will begin by downloading the software on your system for which you have to click on the below download button.
- Once the software has been downloaded, double-click on SpyHunter-Installer.exe to install the Anti-Malware program on your PC and proceed with the setup.
- After installation, you will need to launch the Anti-Malware application. From the welcome screen click on the Start Scan Now button to initiate a new scan of your PC.
- Once the scanning process begins, it will take some time to run a thorough diagnostic of your PC and find all hidden threats and malware.
- Soon you will find a complete list of all the threats on your system screen. Then you will need to click on the Next button to delete all the viruses.
How To Decrypt .LockFiles Files
As there is no LockFiles ransomware decryptor available, you will need to use alternate options to restore your files. The first one is to use the backup. If you have created a backup of your important files then it is going to be quite easy. However, if you don’t have any backup files or they also got encrypted by the virus then you will have to try a data recovery software.
We recommend using Stellar Data Recovery software because it is a powerful and trusted data recovery software. Paying ransom money is not ideal because it will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks. You can wait for any free decryptor to be launched but it can take forever. Download the free trial version of data recovery and scan your PC for files. It may be able to recover some of your files and save you lots of money.
- Click on the below download button to get started instantly with the data recovery process on your PC.
- After the download click on the installer file and complete the software installation. Then launch the application and select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- After the selection of data, you will need to select the location from where you want to recover data. Choose the location and then click on the Scan button.
- The software will take some time to scan your system. You will see a list of all the files that can be recovered. You can preview them or click on the Recover button to save them.
Manual LockFiles Virus Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Click on the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard to open the Windows Run Box.
- Now you will need to type in MSConfig and then click the OK button.
- The System configuration settings box will appear on your computer screen.
- Click on the Boot tab, check the Safe Boot option, and select the network box,
- Finally, you will have to click on Apply and then press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Open the Windows Rub box again on your PC by pressing the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard.
- This time you will have to type in taskmgr and then click the OK button to open Windows Task Manager. Look for any unknown or malicious running on your system.
- Select the process which is taking lots of systems resources and then click on the End Task button.
Uninstall LockFiles Virus from Control Panel
- Again you will need to open the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- This time you need to open the Windows Control Panel, so type in appwiz.cpl and then click the OK button.
- Programs and Features windows will appear on your computer screen with a list of all the installed applications.
- Now you need to look for any unknown or virus related program and then Uninstall it from your PC.
Remove LockFiles Virus From Registry Editor
- Again open the Windows Run Box on your PC by using the Windows and R keys.
- To open the Windows Registry Editor, type in Regedit and click the OK button.
- Now you will have to find the virus related registry files and remove them.
- Press CTRL and F keys together on the keyboard to start a Find query.
- Type the virus name and click on Find Next button to find malicious entries and delete them.
Remove Malicious IP addresses from Windows Hosts Files
- To open the Windows hosts file, simply press the Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now you will need to access the Windows hosts file using Notepad.
- Most threats add malicious IP addresses here to automatically connect to remote servers.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses below the localhost and save the file.
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When malware infects your system, it normally creates several malicious files and spread them at different locations. After you remove the malware, these leftover files help them to get back to your computer. Remove all virus related files at once by following the below instruction :
- Open the Windows Run Box again by using the Windows and R keys together.
- Now you will open the below paths one by one using the Run Box and remove malicious files.
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the LockFiles File Virus and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files at once. Use Ctrl, Shift, and Delete keys together for permanent removal.
Remove LockFiles Virus via system restore
- You will again need the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing in cmd and then clicking the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- The System Restore window will get opened instantly then click on the Next button.
- Choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, when you will hit the Yes button, the system restoration process with start immediately.
Note: System restore to remove a virus will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC. Otherwise, no changes will be made to your system and it will not remove any threats. Be advised, restoring the computer to a previous version does not always guarantee virus removal. Most viruses delete restore points, so don’t get disappointed if this trick does not work for you.