Mzqw File Virus is a notorious computer malware that belongs to the Stop/Djvu ransomware family. It is programmed to encrypt data on an infected PC and demand ransom money for the decryption key. It uses a powerful algorithm to encrypt files (documents, images, videos, audio, database, backup, etc.) on a targeted PC.
This virus encrypts files by appending a “.mzqw” extension to the original filename. For example, a file “photo.jpg” will get changed into “photo.jpg.mzqw” after this ransomware attack. Upon successful transformation of files, a ransom note “_readme.txt” is dropped in all compromised folders.
The Ransom note left by Mzqw Virus contains a threatening message. It instructs victims to contact cyber criminals via email address. It also asks users to pay ransomware money through Bitcoin to purchase the decryption tool. Read this guide to know to get rid of this malware and restore your files.
What is Mzqw ransomware?
Mzqw Ransomware is a file-encrypting malware. It encrypts files on infected PC (rendering them useless) and demands ransom money for decryption. It offers free decryption of one file as proof and forces its victims to purchase a decryption tool. The initial price of the decryptor is set as 980 USD for one user. However, Mzqw is also offering a 50% discount (490 USD) if victims pay within 72 hours.
Mzqw File Virus is a recent variant of old malware. It uses a very powerful military-grade encryption algorithm to encode files. Unfortunately, there is no free decryptor available for this malware as of now. It also seems quite impossible to decrypt files without a valid decoder.
Once this .Mzqw virus encrypts your files, you can no longer access any of your data. A ransom note “_readme.txt” will be placed in every folder. It will keep encrypting new files until you remove this threat completely from your PC. Removing this threat will not restore your files, but it will prevent further damage. You cannot recover data from the backup until you get rid of this infection.
How did your computer get infected?
Threats like this are mostly spread via spam email campaigns. Cybercriminals send fake emails with virulent attachments (like pdf, docs, ppt, etc.) or download links. When you download those files or click on links, it triggers the download of malware.
Mzqw File Virus can also get distributed via bundled freeware downloads and Peer-to-Peer sharing networks. Cracked software or illegal patches (activation tools) and fake software updates are also used to spread infections. Visiting porn or torrent sites can also expose your system to lots of unwanted threats and viruses.
Mzqw Ransomware: Threat Analysis
Do Not Pay Ransom Money
Victims’ are advised not to pay any money to Mzqw Virus creators. It is not ideal to incentivize cyber criminals by paying. It will surely encourage them to carry out more malware attacks like this. Once you pay to decrypt your files, they can encrypt your files later for more money.
It is also not sure that you will get a decryption tool after paying. Cybercriminals often cheat victims and stop all communications after getting paid. Payment is also done via cryptocurrency, so it is impossible to track who got the money.
You are advised to use a powerful Anti-Malware to completely remove this .Mzqw Virus from infected PC. You should try a good data recovery tool to restore your encrypted files. Also, create a backup of all important files on USB drives or a Cloud drive to avoid data loss.
Ransom note “_readme.txt” contains the following text message :
ATTENTION! Don’t worry, you can return all your files! All your files like photos, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key. The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you. This software will decrypt all your encrypted files. What guarantees you have? You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free. But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information. You can get and look video overview decrypt tool: hxxps://we.tl/t-Oc0xgfzC7q Price of private key and decrypt software is $980. Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours, that’s price for you is $490. Please note that you’ll never restore your data without payment. Check your e-mail “Spam” or “Junk” folder if you don’t get answer more than 6 hours. To get this software you need write on our e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Reserve e-mail address to contact us: email@example.com Your personal ID: -
How To Remove Mzqw File Virus
Automatic Mzqw Virus Removal Guide
It can be hectic to remove threats from an infected PC but the use of powerful Anti-Malware can make it quite easy. SpyHunter anti-malware can help you to remove Trojans, Ransomware, Spyware, Adware, PUPs, etc. easily. You can scan your system for Mzqw virus and all other hidden threats at once. All you need to do is to download this software and run a new scan on your PC.
It will find all the threats and viruses in no time and save you lots of time and effort. This amazing software also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware definition updates make it most effective against the latest attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- You will begin by downloading the software on your system for which you have to click on the below download button.
- Once the software has been downloaded, double-click on SpyHunter-Installer.exe to install the Anti-Malware program on your PC and proceed with the setup.
- After installation, you will need to launch the Anti-Malware application. From the welcome screen click on the Start Scan Now button to initiate a new scan of your PC.
- Once the scanning process begins, it will take some time to run a thorough diagnostic of your PC and find all hidden threats and malware.
- Soon you will find a complete list of all the threats on your system screen. Then you will need to click on the Next button to delete all the viruses.
How To Decrypt .Mzqw Files
As there is no Mzqw ransomware decryptor available, you will need to use alternate options to restore your files. The first one is to use the backup. If you have created a backup of your important files then it is going to be quite easy. However, if you don’t have any backup files or they also got encrypted by the virus then you will have to try a data recovery software.
We recommend using Stellar Data Recovery software because it is a powerful and trusted data recovery software. Paying ransom money is not ideal because it will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks. You can wait for any free decryptor to be launched but it can take forever. Download the free trial version of data recovery and scan your PC for files. It may be able to recover some of your files and save you lots of money.
- Click on the below download button to get started instantly with the data recovery process on your PC.
- After the download click on the installer file and complete the software installation. Then launch the application and select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- After the selection of data, you will need to select the location from where you want to recover data. Choose the location and then click on the Scan button.
- The software will take some time to scan your system. You will see a list of all the files that can be recovered. You can preview them or click on the Recover button to save them.
Manual Mzqw Virus Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Click on the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard to open the Windows Run Box.
- Now you will need to type in MSConfig and then click the OK button.
- The System configuration settings box will appear on your computer screen.
- Click on the Boot tab, check the Safe Boot option, and select the network box,
- Finally, you will have to click on Apply and then press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Open the Windows Rub box again on your PC by pressing the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard.
- This time you will have to type in taskmgr and then click the OK button to open Windows Task Manager. Look for any unknown or malicious running on your system.
- Select the process which is taking lots of systems resources and then click on the End Task button.
Uninstall Mzqw Virus from Control Panel
- Again you will need to open the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- This time you need to open the Windows Control Panel, so type in appwiz.cpl and then click the OK button.
- Programs and Features windows will appear on your computer screen with a list of all the installed applications.
- Now you need to look for any unknown or virus related program and then Uninstall it from your PC.
Remove Mzqw Virus From Registry Editor
- Again open the Windows Run Box on your PC by using the Windows and R keys.
- To open the Windows Registry Editor, type in Regedit and click the OK button.
- Now you will have to find the virus related registry files and remove them.
- Press CTRL and F keys together on the keyboard to start a Find query.
- Type the virus name and click on Find Next button to find malicious entries and delete them.
Remove Malicious IP addresses from Windows Hosts Files
- To open the Windows hosts file, simply press the Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now you will need to access the Windows hosts file using Notepad.
- Most threats add malicious IP addresses here to automatically connect to remote servers.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses below the localhost and save the file.
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When malware infects your system, it normally creates several malicious files and spread them at different locations. After you remove the malware, these leftover files help them to get back to your computer. Remove all virus related files at once by following the below instruction :
- Open the Windows Run Box again by using the Windows and R keys together.
- Now you will open the below paths one by one using the Run Box and remove malicious files.
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the Mzqw File Virus and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files at once. Use Ctrl, Shift, and Delete keys together for permanent removal.
Remove Mzqw Virus via system restore
- You will again need the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing in cmd and then clicking the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- The System Restore window will get opened instantly then click on the Next button.
- Choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, when you will hit the Yes button, the system restoration process with start immediately.
Note: System restore to remove a virus will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC. Otherwise, no changes will be made to your system and it will not remove any threats. Be advised, restoring the computer to a previous version does not always guarantee virus removal. Most viruses delete restore points, so don’t get disappointed if this trick does not work for you.
Prevent Mzqw Virus in Future
Frequently Asked Questions
What is .Mzqw File Virus?
Mzqw Virus is a Ransomware infection that encrypts all the files on an infected PC such as Videos, photos, music, databases, documents, backup, etc. After that, it forces victims’ to pay huge ransom money for the decryption key. It is the latest variant of STOP/DJVU Ransomware infection. It adds its own “.mzqw” extension to all your files and also ransom note “_Readme.txt” in all compromised folders.
How did Mzqw Virus infected my computer?
Creators of this threat can use several techniques to spread this malware. Usually, threats like Mzqw Virus intrude on your computer through Bundled Freeware programs, Spam emails, cracked software, illegal patches, fake software updates, clicking on suspicious links, and visiting porn or torrent sites.
Are my files completely lost?
No, your files are still there on your computer but you simply don’t have access. Mzqw virus has encrypted your files and they can only be accessed after using a decrypting key for which it is demanding the ransom money.
How can I open “.Mzqw” files?
Unfortunately, you cannot open “.mzqw” files without decrypting them first. All your files are encrypted and you need a decipher or decryption key to unlock those files before accessing them. As there is no perfect Mzqw ransomware decryptor available currently we recommend using Stellar Data Recovery software to recover your files. But don’t try to restore your data without removing the virus because it will keep encrypting your files.
How to Remove Mzqw Ransomware Virus?
It could be quite hard to remove this infection from computers, especially for non-technical users. We have shared several tips on removing this threat manually in this guide which you can use. If you have no prior experience with virus removal then feel free to Download Mzqw Ransomware Removal Tool. It is the safest and easiest way to remove this infection from your PC.