PicaPica is an unwanted browser extension that promises to enhance users’ web browsing experience. It is aimed to promote a fake search engine. It acts as a browser hijacker and changes the default homepage and other settings of the affected browser.
It is advertised as a legitimate program that can help boost the Web page load speed. Instead, it shows tons of unwanted ads and sponsored results causing frequent redirects to questionable websites. Read this guide to learn how to remove PicaPica from your PC.
What is PicaPica
PicaPica is a computer infection deemed as a browser hijacker. It gets spread through questionable methods and serves misleading advertisements. This dubious threat pretends to be a genuine search engine and claims to enhance your browsing experience. It is aimed to make an illegal profit by redirecting web traffic to suspicious websites.
PicaPica is a Potentially Unwanted Program that can do more damage to your PC than good. It offers several pop-up ads that try to trick users into visiting dubious sites or installing fake software updates and harmful programs. It can easily sneak into your Windows computer without permission and hijack your browser. PicaPica can infect Google Chrome, MS Edge, Safari, Firefox, IE, Opera, and others.
When you open your browser, you will find PicaPica instead of your regular homepage. It will not allow you to undo the changes that it has made. It will show fake search results and unwanted ads on your computer to promote phishing websites. Your computer will get bombarded with third-party ads, fake pop-ups, banners, offers, and many other advertisements.
How it infects your PC?
Threats like this use various questionable distribution methods. Most users don’t even know how PicaPica got on their system. It mostly gets spread via bundled freeware programs that users normally download from the Internet. Such programs do not show any notification of any additional hidden software. It could also spread via misleading ads pushed by dubious websites. You can see those ads when your browser gets forcibly redirected (due to any adware or browser hijacker infection).
PicaPica can also get distributed through spam email campaigns, suspicious links, phishing websites, porn sites, torrent files, and fake software updates. You must be careful and do not open any email attachments without scanning them. Do not click on any suspicious links suggested in your emails. Never download any cracked or pirated software on your PC. Avoid clicking on any misleading ads, banners, or offers that might pop up while you are browsing the Internet.
Working of PicaPica
Once installed on your machine, it will make several changes to your browser and system settings. You will find your browser is being filled with several unwanted advertisements leading to suspicious sites. Those ads could try to convince you to install unwanted or potentially harmful programs. PicaPica can redirect your browser to malicious websites running online scams or distributing other threats.
This nasty threat can disable your anti-virus security to avoid its detection and removal. It will take full control of Internet settings and block the access of legitimate websites. It can create malicious registry entries that help it to get automatically started on your machine. PicaPica can collect personal info like credit card numbers, login IDs, passwords, social media details, etc. by tracking your online activities.
PicaPica: Threat Analysis
Is PicaPica harmful?
It is a browser-based infection looking to make an easy profit by showing ads and redirecting searches. It might not look as harmful as any ransomware or trojan virus but it can do some significant damage. PicaPica mainly promotes dubious websites that distribute other threats. It can bring more threats and viruses to your system without your knowledge.
When dealing with PUPs like this, you must clean them properly or they can always come back. It will use its registry keys to get back on your system again and again. This threat can also expose your privacy by selling your personal information to cybercriminals. You can become a victim of online fraud or identity theft. It can also provide cybercriminals remote access to your PC by opening a backdoor. You are advised to follow this guide to completely remove PicaPica from your computer.
How To Remove PicaPica
Automatic PicaPica Removal Guide
It can be hectic to remove threats from an infected PC but the use of powerful Anti-Malware can make it quite easy. SpyHunter anti-malware can help you to remove Trojan, Ransomware, Spyware, Adware, PUPs, etc. easily. You can scan your system for PicaPica virus, and all other hidden threats at once. All you need to do is to download this software and run a new scan on your PC.
It will find all the threats and viruses in no time and save you lots of time and effort. This amazing software also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware definition updates make it most effective against the latest attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- You will begin by downloading the software on your system for which you have to click on the below download button.
- Once the software has been downloaded, double-click on SpyHunter-Installer.exe to install the Anti-Malware program on your PC and proceed with the setup.
- After installation, you will need to launch the Anti-Malware application. From the welcome screen click on the Start Scan Now button to initiate a new scan of your PC.
- Once the scanning process begins, it will take some time to run a thorough diagnostic of your PC and find all hidden threats and malware.
- Soon you will find a complete list of all the threats on your system screen. Then you will need to click on the Next button to delete all the viruses.
Manual PicaPica Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Click on the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard to open the Windows Run Box.
- Now you will need to type in MSConfig and then click the OK button.
- The System configuration settings box will appear on your computer screen.
- Click on the Boot tab, check the Safe Boot option, and select the network box,
- Finally, you will have to click on Apply and then press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Open the Windows Rub box again on your PC by pressing the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard.
- This time you will have to type in taskmgr and then click the OK button to open Windows Task Manager. Look for any unknown or malicious running on your system.
- Select the process which is taking lots of systems resources and then click on the End Task button.
Uninstall PicaPica from Control Panel
- Again you will need to open the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- This time you need to open the Windows Control Panel, so type in appwiz.cpl and then click the OK button.
- Programs and Features windows will appear on your computer screen with a list of all the installed applications.
- Now you need to look for any unknown or PicaPica virus related program and then Uninstall it from your PC.
Remove PicaPica From Registry Editor
- Again open the Windows Run Box on your PC by using the Windows and R keys.
- To open the Windows Registry Editor, type in Regedit and click the OK button.
- Now you will have to find the virus related registry files and remove them.
- Press CTRL and F keys together on the keyboard to start a Find query.
- Type PicaPica and click on Find Next button to find malicious entries and delete them.
Remove PicaPica From Browser
Most of the time, threats like this make several changes to the browser which helps it to track victims’ online activities. They use browser hijacking capabilities to show ads, offers, alerts, and notifications or steal the personal information of the victim. It is important to completely remove the virus from the browser or it may come back. Follow the below steps to remove this infection from your browser.
Remove PicaPica From Google Chrome
Note: Type or copy-paste –
chrome://extensions in the URL bar of Google Chrome then press the ENTER button to open the extensions page directly or follow the below steps.
- First, launch the Google Chrome browser then go to the upper right corner and click on the Menu (⋮) option.
- You will see a drop-down menu, select the More tools option and then choose the Extensions option.
- Find the malicious extensions related to the PicaPica virus from the Chrome extensions page and then click the trash can icon to remove them completely.
Eliminate PicaPica From Mozilla Firefox
Note: Type or copy-paste –
about:addons in the URL bar, Firefox then hit ENTER button to open the extensions page directly or follow the below steps.
- This time launch the Mozilla Firefox browser and take your mouse to the upper right corner and click on Menu (☰) option.
- Firefox drop-down menu will appear on your screen then click on the Add-ons option.
- Choose the Extensions option from the left side menu to see the list of installed extensions on your browser.
- Look for any suspicious or unknown extensions related to the PicaPica virus and then uninstall them by clicking on the Remove button.
Remove PicaPica From Microsoft Edge
- Edge users will launch their MS Edge browser, go to the upper right corner and click on More Tools (⋮) option.
- Again to see the list of all installed extensions, click on the Extensions option from the Edge drop-down menu.
- Find the PicaPica or any potentially harmful extension and then click on the Uninstall button to remove it.
Remove PicaPica From Apple Safari
- If you use the Safari browser then launch it and click on the Safari menu then tap on the Preferences option.
- Now just click on the Extensions tab to see the list of all installed extensions on your browser.
- Find PicaPica or any virus related or malicious extensions then click on Uninstall button.
- Finally, again click the Uninstall button to remove the extension completely.
Delete PicaPica From Internet Explorer
- Internet Explorer users also need to click on the Menu option from the upper right corner.
- When the browser’s drop-down list appears, select the manage Add-ons option to see all installed extensions.
- If you find PicaPica or any unknown and malicious extensions then remove them by clicking on Disable button.
Reset Browser Setting to Default
Once you remove PicaPica from your browser, you might want to reset the browser to default settings to reset any changes made by the virus. Follow the below steps for that :
Google Chrome Web Browser Reset
- First, you need to open Chrome’s settings option by clicking on the Menu (⋮) from the upper right corner.
- You will find a Reset and Clean up option from the left side menu, click on it.
- Now you need to click on the Restore settings to their original defaults option from your screen.
- Finally, give your confirmation by clicking on the Reset Settings button to reset your chrome browser.
Mozilla Firefox Browser Reset
- Launch your Mozilla Firefox browser then go to the upper right corner and click on Menu (☰) option.
- A drop-down menu will appear then click on the Help option to open the Firefox help menu.
- Now click on the More troubleshooting information option.
- Press the Refresh Firefox button and when the system prompts then again give confirmation by clicking on the Refresh Firefox.
MS Edge Browser Reset
- Launch your Microsoft Edge browser then take your mouse to the upper right corner and click on More Tools (…) option.
- When the Edge drop-down menu appears, scroll down until you see the Settings option and click on it.
- Click on the Reset Settings option from the left side menu and then click on the Restore settings to their default values option.
- Finally, when the system prompts you to verify click on the Reset button.
Reset Safari To Default
- Safari users need to open their browser and tap on the Safari menu then select the Reset Safari option.
- Select what you want to clear or you can simply check all the boxes and then finally click on the Reset button.
Reset Internet Explorer Browser
- To reset the Internet Explorer browser first click on the Menu icon and hit Internet options.
- Now you will need to click on the Advanced tab and then click the Reset button.
- Check the Delete personal settings option, and again hit the Reset button.