STOP/DJVU Ransomware has become a known terror for a while now. Its 2021 and this virus is still at its peak. It has infected millions of computers world wide and cause panic. Read this guide know more about the origin, spreading and ultimately removal of this nasty virus. Also learn how to recover your files without paying ransom money to hackers.
It is a terrible piece of malware which has made its name in last couple of years. It is known by various different names such STOP Ransomware, STOP (DJVU) or DJVU virus. With more than 304 active variant, it is clearly the most active crypto virus right now. It was first first observed on October 21, 2017 and modified its operation in 2018 but it came into popularity in 2019, after which it kept growing. It has probably most infection and extortion rate than any other Ransomware infections.
After almost two years on its origin, STOP DJVU Ransomware is still not fully decryptable. Many security analyst are working tirelessly to break the encryption, but hackers always modify their codes.
DJVU Ransomware uses RSA and AES cryptographic algorithms to encrypt files on infected computers. It is not easy to decrypt such type of encoding without knowing the decryption code. But the thing is, hackers keep releasing new variants so frequently that finding one key is not going to make any difference.
If your system get infected by STOP DJVU Ransomware, a ransom note “_Readme.txt” is placed on your system after successful encryption. This virus uses different extensions to attack computers. It add its own extension after the file names after encoding. To access any of the encrypted files, you will need the decryption code. STOP Ransomware then charge hefty amount for that decryption key.
Technical Details of STOP/DJVU Ransomware
STOP Ransomware is a File Encryption ransomware type Trojan malware. At first its used the .STOP/DJVU extension to encrypted files on infected computers. After silent intrusion on the victim’s PC, this dubious threat will block the all of the files stored on that machine by encrypting them. Later it drops the ransom note on that system to notify user about the encrypted and demand ransom money to decrypt files.
At early phases this dubious Ransomware used (.STOP, .SUSPENDED, .WAITING, .PAUSA, .PUMA, .CONTACTUS, .DATASTOP, .STOPDATA) extension and then as the time passed, it started suing new extensions.
STOP Ransomware will leave ransom notes like !!!YourDataRestore!!!.txt, !!!RestoreProcess!!!.txt, !!!INFO_RESTORE!!!.txt, !!RESTORE!!!.txt, !!!!RESTORE_FILES!!!.txt, !!!DATA_RESTORE!!!.txt, !!!RESTORE_DATA!!!.txt, !!!KEYPASS_DECRYPTION_INFO!!!.txt, !!!WHY_MY_FILES_NOT_OPEN!!!.txt, !!!SAVE_FILES_INFO!!!.txt and !readme.txt.
Now newer versions of Djvu virus are leaving ransom notes named _openme.txt, _open_.txt or _readme.txt on the infected computer.
This ransomware infection also change the files after encryption by adding its own extensions. For an example, if a file named “1.jpg” get encrypted by this malware then it will get changed into “1.jpg.STOP(DJVU)” and so on. Now if the users wants to access this files, they have to buy decryption key from the hackers.
DJVU Ransomware can encrypt all types of file formats mostly stored on Windows PC like images, documents, videos, audio and others. This notorious threat is also able to encrypt compressed files also. If users keep their files encrypted then this virus and encode them too. Dual encryption is also very common among ransomware threats like, if your files are encrypted by Dharma Ransomware then still STOP Ransomware scan encrypt your data.
Price of decryption set by STOP Djvu creators is $490 USD but it will get doubled i.e. $980 USD, if users don’t pay the ransom amount within 72 hours of encryption.
STOP Ransomware family releases new variant frequently (weekly) and each infection uses different unique ID, so they need different decryption to unlock files. This is why there is not a free decryption tool of this malware has been created that can unlock all the files efficiently.
STOP/Djvu Ransomware known contact emails
The victim of this STOP Ransomware are advised by cybercriminals to contact on their email address to further assistance with ransom payment and get decryption codes. Hackers behind this infection also keep changing their contact information regularly. Some of the currently known email addresses associated to STOP virus family are:
How STOP/Djvu Ransomware infect your PC
Like any other malware, this nasty ransomware infection also spread through various different methods. You can get this virus on your computer by downloading and installing bundled freeware programs. Various fake (.exe) are also used to deliver this threats on targeted computer which delete itself after installation of the malware. Downloading pirated contents for torrent or other deceptive sources could bring infected files on your PC which packs Djvu infection and install it silently.
This notorious malware can also spread through malicious script hosted by suspicious sites. Clicking on misleading ads, pop-ups, banners, fake alerts, push notifications, banners etc. can cause frequent redirection of your browser on such sites. Apart from that, browsing to porn sites or sharing files on unsafe network could also be the reason of this infection. Many Trojan viruses are also used to deliver this DJVU Ransomware on targeted computers.
More about origin and detection of this infection
As you know STOP/DJVU virus was created in 2017 but it was first detected in 2018 by a famous malware researcher Michael Gillespie, he is started to follow this infection ever since. He also developed a decryption key which could help with some of the earlier variant of this infection. That tool was named as STOPDecryptor and was only able to help with online key. We will discuss this tool and extensions it supports later in this article.
Meanwhile, this malware became pretty well known in 2019 and started making various changes to its codes. This why the free decryptor tool failed to help users. Every week new extension with different ID and new decryption key made it hard to find any permanent solution for this malware.
File extensions identifying STOP/DJVU ransomware infection
There is a list of all the known extension of this nasty ransomware infection. There are currently more than 250 different variants of this infection and list is still growing :
Online & offline keys – What does it mean?
OFFLINE KEY – When the STOP Ransomware infects your PC, and it is not connected to Internet, then this viruses encrypt your files in offline mode. It uses a predefined set of decryption key and due this those files were comparatively easy to decrypt. Once that key is discovered, it can be added to the decryptor and files could be decrypted.
ONLINE KEY – When the STOP Ransomware infects your PC, and it is connected to Internet, it establishes a connection to remote server and generate a new Key and ID. This type of is key is different for every infection and every computer, so there is no way to find it out. File encrypted by such cannot be decrypted without buying the key
About Stop Decryptor (Free tool that doesn’t work now)
Michael Gillespie created a free tool to decrypt files infected by STOP Ransomware. It only supported the offline key. These keys were gathered by the victims who paid the ransom money to decrypt their files. Then those key were added to the free decryptor and it worked for a while. But then hackers decided to make major modifications into their malware and this system stopped working.
STOP/Djvu can be divided in to two versions now :
1. Old Version : Most of the older extensions of STOP/Djvu virus, starting with .djvu (v013) up to .carote (v154) was previously decryptable by STOPDecrypter (not available any more) but only for the OFFLINE KEY. When the support for STOPDecrypter has been terminated then the new EmsisoftDecryptor took the place of it. But it is still limited with the offline keys. A list of all the older versions are listed below :
2. New Version : These are the variants released after August 2019, after cybercriminals made changes. These new extensions were never supported by STOPDecrypter. However, some of the offline keys for these newer variants were obtained by Emsisoft by the help of some victim paid the ransom. Online keys are completely unique for each victim and cannot help multiple victims so they were never supported by Emsisoft decryptor. A list of all the new extensions are listed below:
Ransom Note left by the STOP DJVU Ransomware
As you know this malware likes to drop notes on the infected PC to inform users about the encryption and demand ransom note. The content of the note are always the same but the email address often keep changing. Take a look at the text of the ransom note “_Readme.txt” left of the victims’ computer:
ATTENTION! Don’t worry, you can return all your files! All your files like photos, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key. The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you. This software will decrypt all your encrypted files. What guarantees you have? You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free. But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information. You can get and look video overview decrypt tool: https://we.tl/t-gSEEREZ5tS Price of private key and decrypt software is $980. Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours, that’s price for you is $490. Please note that you’ll never restore your data without payment. Check your e-mail “Spam” or “Junk” folder if you don’t get answer more than 6 hours. To get this software you need write on our e-mail: email@example.com Reserve e-mail address to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org Your personal ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
How to deal STOP/DJVU Ransomware
As if your computer is infected by this virus, then all your files are completely inaccessible. All the new versions are not decryptable so don’t hold your breath for any free solution here. But you need to make sure that you remove this infection completely from your PC. Removing this Ransomware could be very hard so you might want to use a Powerful Anti-malware Tool to delete this infection.
Don’t try to format or reinstall your Windows to get rid of this infection because then you can never recover your files. You might want to make a backup of your encrypted files and store them on any external hard drive or cloud drive for safe keeping. After removing the virus, you can try the free decryption tool or you may purchase a Good Data Recovery Software and scan your system for files.
Actually Djvu Ransomware delete the temp files and shadow files from your PC before encryption. A good Data Recovery Software may help you find those shadow files and temp files or any other previously deleted files. By this method you can recover most of your files without paying ransom money to hackers.
Automatic STOP/DJVU Ransomware Removal Guide
As you already know that, STOP(DJVU) Ransomware Virus is a notorious and cunning malware which is not hard to remove easily by any user through manual means. This virus can keep coming back on the infected computer through files and shortcuts or settings that it has already created on your machine. Removing all those at once is the only way to get rid of this infection and stop it from getting on your system ever again.
So the best way to remove DJVU Ransomware effectively is to use a powerful Automatic Removal Tool and save your time and efforts. This software is a well trusted and very powerful anti-malware program which can detect all hidden threats like Trojan, Ransomware, Worms, Spyware, Rootkits and many others. It also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and remove threats in real time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware updates make it most effective against latest malware attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- First you need to click on below download button to get the software.
Some time threats like STOP Ransomware keep getting back on the machine, if all associated files are not removed. So you are advised to use a powerful Malware Removal Tool to run a thorough scan of your PC and delete all threats at once.
- Then double-click on installer you downloaded to install the program.
- Launch Anti-Malware application and Start Scan Now of your PC.
- Software will scan your PC all hidden threats and viruses on your system.
- Click on Next button to see results and delete STOP/DJVU Ransomware and other threats.
How To Recover Your Encrypted Files
Now, as all your files got encrypted by DJVU Virus and you need to recover your data without paying ransom money to hackers. If your files are important then you must have created backup and you can use that backup to recover your files. If you don’t have backup or this virus has encrypted your backup files, then you are left to seek the professional help.
We recommend you to use a powerful data recovery software to restore your files encrypted STOP/DJVU Ransomware. It is risk free and smart way. You can just download the free version and scan your PC for files. There is a high probability that it can recover most of your files in a fraction of amount what hackers are demanding. It is also needless to say that paying hackers will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks.
- First you need to download Data Recovery software on your PC.
- Install the program, launch it then select Data type to recover and click Next button.
- Select the location from where you want to recover data and click Scan button.
- After scan, software will list all files, select them and click Recover button.
Manual Ransomware Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type msconfig in the Run Box then click the OK button.
- Click on the Boot tab then the System configuration window will appear.
- Choose Safe Boot, check the network box, Click Apply, and press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type taskmgr in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Find Ransomware related or any malicious process.
- Now right-click on it then click End process.
How To Uninstall Ransomware from Windows PC
- First of all Press Windows Key + R buttons together.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Run box and then click the OK button.
- Now Programs and Features windows will appear on the screen.
- Find and remove all Ransomware related or malicious programs.
Remove Virus related IP address from Hosts Files
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now open the hosts file with Notepad.
- Look any suspicious IP address which might be related to Ransomware.
- Delete all the malicious IP address and save the host files.
Remove Virus related Windows Registry entries
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type regedit in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Registry Editor will open, then press CTRL +F buttons together.
- Now type Ransomware and then click on Find Next button.
- Find all the related entries and delete them one by one
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When a threat gets on to a PC, it most likely creates some files at different locations on the system. These files are used to perform a specific action and also help malware in getting back to the computer once it’s removed. So you just need to find also delete all those files associated with this Ransomware. For that follow the below instruction :
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard
- Type each of the following in Run Box and press the OK button
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the Ransomware and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files.
Remove Ransomware via system restore
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together on the keyboard.
- Type cmd in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- When the System Restore window opens on your computer screen click the Next button, then choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, click on the Yes button to start the system restoration process.
Note: This will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC or it will give an error message. Restoring the computer to a previous version may or may not remove Ransomware. Most of the time, viruses just delete all the restore points. If this trick does not work for you then don’t get disappointed.
After restoring your computer, we recommend you run a thorough scan of the PC using a Powerful Anti-Malware program to detect and remove any hidden threats. In most cases, viruses may spread through any files outside of the C drive because system restoring only affect the C drive. There may be some Virus related files hiding your PC, and it never hurts to double-check.
Sometimes, system restore doesn’t work or viruses can just remove the restore points. As such you will probably have no other choice than to choose the Automatic Removal Process. It is the best and error-free method to find and remove threats from your computer. Additionally, you should also check some important malware prevention tips provided here in this guide to avoid similar virus attacks in the future.
Remove Ransomware From MacOS
If you are a mac user, and your machine got infected by this nasty file-encrypting malware then you need to remove it as soon as possible. Although Mac systems are quite safe they still do get infected. So you can delete this infection using the below steps:
Stop Malicious Program From Activity Monitor
- First, you need to open Utilities folder on your Mac system.
- Find the Activity Monitor icon and double-click on it to open it.
- Find Ransomware related process, click the cross button from the upper left side corner to end task.
- A pop-up dialogue box will appear on the screen, click on the Force Quit button.
Remove Virus From Application Folder
- First, go to the Dock option (bottom of your screen) then click on Finder App.
- Now you have to open the Applications Folders to see all the programs.
- Find Ransomware or any other unwanted program then move it to Trash.
Remove Ransomware Related Files From Mac
When any program is installed on your Mac, it creates several files on your system that support the functioning of that application. If you need to remove any virus from your Mac, then you need to delete all related files completely. These files could be found at :
- Application Support
Follow below steps to remove virus related files from these locations:
- First of all press the Command+Shift+G buttons together on your keyboard.
- Now you can see Go To Folder option on your Mac screen.
- Type in /Library/LaunchAgents in the text field and click on Go button.
- Find and remove any Ransomware related or malicious file.
Now follow the same process for Application Support and LaunchDaemons folders. But be careful, don’t delete any important files or you can break down your entire system.
Attention: If you are not tech-savvy, then it could be quite difficult to remove Ransomware File Virus manually from your Mac. The best way is to download SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware and see if it can detect all hidden threats and viruses on your computer. It’s really super easy and you should give it a try.
How SpyHunter Mac Anti-Malware Works
- First, download the SpyHunter for Mac by clicking on the below button.
Some time threats like Ransomware keep getting back on the machine if all associated files are not removed. So you are advised to use a powerful Malware Removal Tool to run a thorough scan of your Mac and delete all threats at once.
SpyHunter Mac AntiMalware allows you to scan your Mac for threats and viruses for free, but you will need to purchase a full license to remove found threats. Read EULA.
- Now go to the Download Folder from the Docs and Install the SpyHunter Anti-Malware For Mac.
- Launch the Program, and click on Start Scan Now button.
- Software will start running a a full scan of your mac instantly to look for any malware, virus, threats, malicious programs or security risk and so on.
- Finally you will see a list of malwares detected on your mac, now click on Next button to start the removal process.
Tips To Prevent Ransomware in Future
- Use a good anti-virus, be it a free version but don’t use cracked security programs.
- Make sure that your Windows firewall is active, so it can block upcoming threats.
- Keep your Windows/Mac OS and other programs updated to avoid vulnerabilities.
- Download updates only from official websites, don’t use suspicious sites.
- Never download and install pirated software, games, or illegal patches on your PC.
- Do not open spam emails from an unknown sender and scan all attachments before opening.
- Never download freeware third-party programs from unreliable sources or websites.
- Avoid connecting your PC to unsafe public Wi-Fi to protect your privacy.
- You can also use a VPN to spoof your connection and avoid malicious sites.
- Create a system restore point on your system for security purposes.
- Keep backup of all your important files to avoid data loss.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Stop/Djvu Ransomware?
It is a file-encrypting malware known as Ransomware. It is a nasty virus that encrypts files on your computer and then forces you to buy the decryption key by paying huge ransom money through cryptocurrency.
How this virus Infected my computer?
Hackers behind this threat can use several techniques to spread this malware. Usually, threats like this mostly intrude on your computer through Bundled Freeware program, Spam emails, cracked software, illegal patches, fake software updates, clicking on suspicious links, and visiting porn or torrent sites.
Are my files completely lost?
No, your files are still there on your computer but you have lot the access. This virus has encrypted your files and they can be accessed by using a decrypting key for which hackers are demanding the ransom money.
How to decrypt encrypted Files?
There is no perfect Ransomware decryptor available currently which can restore all your files. But we have suggested a quite effective Encrypted File Recovery method in this guide which you can follow to recover your files. But don’t try to restore your data without removing the virus because it will keep encrypting your files.
How to Remove this Ransomware Virus?
It could be quite hard to remove this infection from computer specially for non technical users. We have shared several tips on removing this threat manually in this guide which you can use. If you have no prior experience of virus removal then free download Ransomware Virus Removal Tool. it is the safest and easiest way to remove this infection from your PC.
Can I re-install Windows to remove Stop Ransomware and decrypt files?
If you will re-install your Windows then it might remove the infection from your computer but you will not be able to recover your files. If you only format C Drive then virus hiding in other drives will infect your system again. You have to use a powerful Anti-malware Tool to delete this virus and try to decrypt your files.
What to Do If nothing works?
If you are not able to recover your files by any method then still there is lot you can do.
1. Make a backup of all your files on any External drive or cloud drive.
2. Remove this ransomware virus from your PC and move all infected files to external drive.
3. make sure there is no other infection hiding on your PC. (Scan twice with Anti-Malware)
4. Try to find any old backup of data and restore your files .
5. If you don’t have backup, then contact your friends and family so they can check if they have any of your important files.
6. Check your smartphone or social media (Facebook, twitter, Instagram) to find old pictures.
7. See if you can download some of your lost software, programs, games, movies, videos, audios from the web.
How to report cyber attack to Authorities?
If you are also a Victim of the STop/Djvu virus then you should report this cybercrime incident to legal authorities in your county. Here is the list of some of the official government websites for reporting fraud and scam activities:
United States – Guard Online
Australia – SCAMwatch
United Kingdom – Action Fraud
New Zealand – Consumer Affairs Scams
Canada – Canadian Anti-Fraud
Ireland – An Garda Síochána
India – National Cybercrime Reporting Portal
You can also search to find the Internet Crime Authority in your country. Meanwhile, it will not help you remove or restore your files in any way but it’s merely information to authorities. Once you register your complaint, authorities might look into and take preventive measures to stop further attacks. However, don’t get lured by third-party criminal reporting sites or fake technical support websites. They are more like to cheat you instead of helping you.
It is a dangerous Ransomware infection with lots of different variant. It is possible to recover your PC from this infection and you may get back most of your files if not all. So, if you liked the information then please share this article with others. Keep visiting for more interesting information. If you need any help or suggestions then write to us in comment box . We like hearing from you.