What is STOP/DJVU Ransomware?
STOP/Djvu Ransomware is a notorious File Encrypting malware. It silently invades your PC and blocks your access to all your data. It uses encryption to render all your files (documents, images, database, backup, etc.) useless. It keeps your data hostage and asks you to pay ransomware threat actors a huge sum of money for the decryption tool.
After encryption, it drops the “_Readme.txt” ransom note on your computer to notify you about the attack. It contains a ransom message and attacker’s email address. The note suggests users to pay the ransom money to buy STOP/DJVU Ransomware decryptor and a private key.
There are more than 635 djvu ransomware versions and each one of them uses a different extension. After the encryption of files, the extension name is added to the filename as a marker. You can find the ransom note on your computer desktop and in all the compromised folders.
Djvu Ransomware Analysis
How does DJVU ransomware work?
STOP/DJVU Ransomware uses RSA and AES cryptographic algorithms to encrypt files. It can encrypt all types of files stored on Windows PC like images, documents, videos, audio, backups, database, and others. However, it does not encrypt the whole file, but only 5 MB from the beginning. It is enough to make your file inaccessible.
The ransomware infection changes the filenames after encryption by adding its own extensions. A ransom note “_Readme.txt” is placed on your system after successful encryption. It is not easy to decrypt such a type of encoding without knowing the decryption code.
This forces users to buy a decryption key from hackers. The price of stop djvu ransomware decryptor set by attackers is $980. But if victims make contact with attackers within 72 hours of encryption they will get a 50% discount.
Ransom Note left by the STOP/DJVU Ransomware
As you know this malware likes to drop notes on the infected PC to inform users about the encryption and demand ransom notes. The content of the note is always the same but the email address often keeps changing. Take a look at the text of the ransom note “_Readme.txt” left on the victims’ computer:
ATTENTION! Don’t worry, you can return all your files! All your files like photos, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key. The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you. This software will decrypt all your encrypted files. What guarantees you have? You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free. But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information. You can get and look video overview decrypt tool: https://we.tl/t-gSEEREZ5tS Price of private key and decrypt software is $980. Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours, that’s price for you is $490. Please note that you’ll never restore your data without payment. Check your e-mail “Spam” or “Junk” folder if you don’t get answer more than 6 hours. To get this software you need write on our e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Reserve e-mail address to contact us: email@example.com Your personal ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
How Ransomware infects your PC
Like any other malware, this nasty STOP/DJVU ransomware infection also spread through various different methods. You can get this virus on your computer by downloading and installing bundled freeware programs. Various fake “.exe” files are also used to deliver this threat on the targeted computer which deletes itself after installation of the malware. Downloading pirated software from torrent or other deceptive sources could bring infected files onto your PC which packs Djvu infection and install it silently.
This notorious malware can also spread through malicious scripts hosted by suspicious sites (phishing attacks). Clicking on misleading ads, pop-ups, banners, fake alerts, push notifications, banners, etc. can cause frequent redirection of your browser on such sites. Apart from that, browsing porn sites or sharing files on an unsafe network could also be the reason for this infection. Many Trojan viruses are also used to deliver this STOP/DJVU Ransomware on targeted computers.
Stop Djvu Decryptor
A famous malware researcher Michael Gillespie first observed this virus and created a free DjVu decryption tool to decrypt files infected by STOP Ransomware. It is discontinued and replaced by an Emsisoft decryptor for Stop Djvu 2022. However, both of these decryptors only supported the offline keys.
These keys were gathered by the victims who paid the ransom money to decrypt their files. Then those keys were added to the free decryptor and it worked for a while. But then hackers decided to make major modifications to their malware and this system stopped working. Now Stop/DjVu decryptor is completely useless against any current or future variants.
Online & offline keys – What does it mean?
OFFLINE KEY – When the STOP/Djvu Ransomware infects your PC and it is not connected to the Internet, then this virus encrypts your files in offline mode. It uses a predefined set of the decryption key and due to this, those files are comparatively easy to decrypt. Once that key is discovered, it can be added to the decryptor and files could be decrypted.
ONLINE KEY – When the STOP/Djvu Ransomware infects your PC and is connected to the Internet, it establishes a connection to a remote server and generates a new Key and ID. This type of key is different for every infection and every computer, so there is no way to find it out. File encrypted by such a method cannot be decrypted without buying the key.
How To Remove Stop/Djvu Ransomware
Automatic Stop/Djvu Ransomware Removal Guide
It can be hectic to remove threats from an infected PC but the use of powerful Anti-Malware can make it quite easy. SpyHunter anti-malware can help you to remove Trojans, Ransomware, Spyware, Adware, PUPs, etc. easily. You can scan your system for Stop/Djvu Ransomware and all other hidden threats at once. All you need to do is to download this software and run a new scan on your PC.
It will find all the threats and viruses in no time and save you lots of time and effort. This amazing software also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware definition updates make it most effective against the latest attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- You will begin by downloading the software on your system for which you have to click on the below download button.
- Once the software has been downloaded, double-click on SpyHunter-Installer.exe to install the Anti-Malware program on your PC and proceed with the setup.
- After installation, you will need to launch the Anti-Malware application. From the welcome screen click on the Start Scan Now button to initiate a new scan of your PC.
- Once the scanning process begins, it will take some time to run a thorough diagnostic of your PC and find all hidden threats and malware.
- Soon you will find a complete list of all the threats on your system screen. Then you will need to click on the Next button to delete all the viruses.
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Click on the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard to open the Windows Run Box.
- Now you will need to type in MSConfig and then click the OK button.
- The System configuration settings box will appear on your computer screen.
- Click on the Boot tab, check the Safe Boot option, and select the network box,
- Finally, you will have to click on Apply and then press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Open the Windows Rub box again on your PC by pressing the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard.
- This time you will have to type in taskmgr and then click the OK button to open Windows Task Manager. Look for any unknown or malicious running on your system.
- Select the process which is taking lots of systems resources and then click on the End Task button.
Remove Stop/Djvu Ransomware From Computer
Threats like this often get installed on your computer with the help of fake .exe files. You need to find such bogus programs and uninstall them from the control panel. Then you will have to find and remove files created by this virus which can help it in getting back on your system removal. Follow the below steps to manually find and remove malicious apps and files:
Uninstall from Control Panel
- Again you will need to open the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- This time you need to open the Windows Control Panel, so type in appwiz.cpl and then click the OK button.
- Programs and Features windows will appear on your computer screen with a list of all the installed applications.
- Now you need to look for any unknown or virus related program and then Uninstall it from your PC.
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When malware infects your system, it normally creates several malicious files and spread them to different locations. After you remove the malware, these leftover files help them to get back to your computer. Remove all virus related files at once by following the below instruction :
- Open the Windows Run Box again by using the Windows and R keys together.
- Now you will open the below paths one by one using the Run Box and remove malicious files.
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the Stop/Djvu Ransomware and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files at once. Use Ctrl, Shift, and Delete keys together for permanent removal.
Remove Malicious IP addresses from Windows Hosts Files
- To open the Windows hosts file, simply press the Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now you will need to access the Windows hosts file using Notepad.
- Most threats add malicious IP addresses here to automatically connect to remote servers.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses below the localhost and save the file.
Remove Stop/Djvu Ransomware From Registry Editor
- Again open the Windows Run Box on your PC by using the Windows and R keys.
- To open the Windows Registry Editor, type in Regedit and click the OK button.
- Now you will have to find the virus related registry files and remove them.
- Press CTRL and F keys together on the keyboard to start a Find query.
- Type the virus name and click on Find Next button to find malicious entries and delete them.
Remove Stop/Djvu Ransomware via system restore
- You will again need the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing in cmd and then clicking the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- The System Restore window will get opened instantly then click on the Next button.
- Choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, when you will hit the Yes button, the system restoration process with start immediately.
Note: System restore to remove a virus will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC. Otherwise, no changes will be made to your system and it will not remove any threats. Be advised, restoring the computer to a previous version does not always guarantee virus removal. Most viruses delete restore points, so don’t get disappointed if this trick does not work for you.
How To Decrypt Stop/Djvu Encrypted Files
As there is no Stop/Djvu Ransomware decryptor available that can help you decrypt djvu ransomware files, you need to use alternate methods. The first one is to use the backup. If you have created a backup of your important files then it is going to be quite easy. However, if you don’t have any backup files or they also got encrypted by the virus then you will have to try data recovery software.
We recommend using Stellar Data Recovery software because it is a powerful and trusted data recovery software. Paying ransom money is not ideal because it will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks. You can wait for any free decryptor to be launched but it can take forever. Download the free trial version of data recovery and scan your PC for files. It may be able to recover some of your files and save you lots of money.
- Click on the below download button to get started instantly with the data recovery process on your PC.
- After the download click on the installer file and complete the software installation. Then launch the application and select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- After the selection of data, you will need to select the location from where you want to recover data. Choose the location and then click on the Scan button.
- The software will take some time to scan your system. You will see a list of all the files that can be recovered. You can preview them or click on the Recover button to save them.