Theva ransomware is a nasty malware infection that encrypts files on the targeted computer and demands ransom money to give decryption keys. It encrypts files by appending the “[firstname.lastname@example.org].theva” extension to the original filenames.
For example, a file named “myphoto.jpg” will be changed into “myphoto.jpg.[email@example.com].theva”. This is a locked file and cannot be accessed without the decryption key. Once the encryption of all the files is done, it replaces the desktop wallpaper with a ransom message and drops the note “#_README_#.inf” on the computer.
What is Theva Ransomware?
Theva file virus is a dangerous ransomware that secretly infiltrates your PC and encrypts your files. It uses a powerful encryption algorithm to render all your files inaccessible. Some changes in the extension of the file are also made as mentioned above. A ransom note is also left on the system after encryption.
The ransom note clearly instructs victims to communicate with cyber criminals to buy decryption tools. If victims choose not to pay the ransom money, then their files will remain locked and can also be leaked online. It is a serious threat that can also turn the targeted computer useless for some time.
What you can do?
In most cases, it is impossible to regain access to locked files without a decryption key. It means victims are forced to contact the makers of the virus to purchase the decoder. But it can open doors to even more serious problems. Decryption tools often leave Trojan horses to steal the personal and financial details of users.
Cases of fraud and decryption tools not working have also been found very often. Cybercriminals stop answering emails once they get paid. They always demand ransom money through cryptocurrency which cannot be tracked. So it could be highly risky to pay ransom money to get your files back.
Removing .Theva File Virus can prevent further encryption of your data and damage to your PC. Unfortunately, the removal of this threat will not bring your files back. However, if you have any backup of your files then you can recover all your files.
Theva Ransomware: Threat Analysis
How did your PC get infected?
Theva Ransomware mostly intrudes on your computer through spam emails. Such deceptive emails carry malicious files or links. Downloading those attachments or clicking on links can instantly trigger the download of a virus.
Threats like this can also spread through other channels like bundled freeware programs, software cracks, or illegal patches and updates. Visiting porn or torrent sites can also bring unwanted malware to the computer. Using pirated copies of the software will make your system vulnerable forever. It creates a backdoor on your system which can access by any virus.
DO NOT Pay Ransom Under any Circumstances
The creators of this Theva Ransomware are only interested in cheating your money. Do not make any contact with cyber criminals. Please do not incentivize their malicious and illegal activities.
It is highly unlikely that criminals will restore your files after getting paid. It is important to have good anti-malware to remove this threat. Keep a backup of all your important files to avoid similar issues in the future.
As your PC is already infected with .Theva File Virus, take immediate steps to remove it completely. Use professional data recovery tools to restore your encrypted files. If you pay cybercriminals, they can attack your system again for more money.
How To Remove Theva File Virus
Automatic Theva Ransomware Removal Guide
It can be hectic to remove threats from an infected PC but the use of powerful Anti-Malware can make it quite easy. SpyHunter anti-malware can help you to remove Trojans, Ransomware, Spyware, Adware, PUPs, etc. easily. You can scan your system for Theva File virus and all other hidden threats at once. All you need to do is to download this software and run a new scan on your PC.
It will find all the threats and viruses in no time and save you lots of time and effort. This amazing software also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real-time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware definition updates make it most effective against the latest attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- You will begin by downloading the software on your system for which you have to click on the below download button.
- Once the software has been downloaded, double-click on SpyHunter-Installer.exe to install the Anti-Malware program on your PC and proceed with the setup.
- After installation, you will need to launch the Anti-Malware application. From the welcome screen click on the Start Scan Now button to initiate a new scan of your PC.
- Once the scanning process begins, it will take some time to run a thorough diagnostic of your PC and find all hidden threats and malware.
- Soon you will find a complete list of all the threats on your system screen. Then you will need to click on the Next button to delete all the viruses.
How To Decrypt .Theva Files
As there is no Theva ransomware decryptor available, you will need to use alternate options to restore your files. The first one is to use the backup. If you have created a backup of your important files then it is going to be quite easy. However, if you don’t have any backup files or they also got encrypted by the virus then you will have to try data recovery software.
We recommend using Stellar Data Recovery software because it is a powerful and trusted data recovery software. Paying ransom money is not ideal because it will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks. You can wait for any free decryptor to be launched but it can take forever. Download the free trial version of data recovery and scan your PC for files. It may be able to recover some of your files and save you lots of money.
- Click on the below download button to get started instantly with the data recovery process on your PC.
- After the download click on the installer file and complete the software installation. Then launch the application and select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- After the selection of data, you will need to select the location from where you want to recover data. Choose the location and then click on the Scan button.
- The software will take some time to scan your system. You will see a list of all the files that can be recovered. You can preview them or click on the Recover button to save them.
Manual Theva File Virus Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Click on the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard to open the Windows Run Box.
- Now you will need to type in MSConfig and then click the OK button.
- The System configuration settings box will appear on your computer screen.
- Click on the Boot tab, check the Safe Boot option, and select the network box,
- Finally, you will have to click on Apply and then press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Open the Windows Rub box again on your PC by pressing the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard.
- This time you will have to type in taskmgr and then click the OK button to open Windows Task Manager. Look for any unknown or malicious running on your system.
- Select the process which is taking lots of systems resources and then click on the End Task button.
Uninstall Theva Ransomware from Control Panel
- Again you will need to open the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- This time you need to open the Windows Control Panel, so type in appwiz.cpl and then click the OK button.
- Programs and Features windows will appear on your computer screen with a list of all the installed applications.
- Now you need to look for any unknown or virus related program and then Uninstall it from your PC.
Remove Theva File Virus From Registry Editor
- Again open the Windows Run Box on your PC by using the Windows and R keys.
- To open the Windows Registry Editor, type in Regedit and click the OK button.
- Now you will have to find the virus related registry files and remove them.
- Press CTRL and F keys together on the keyboard to start a Find query.
- Type the virus name and click on Find Next button to find malicious entries and delete them.
Remove Malicious IP addresses from Windows Hosts Files
- To open the Windows hosts file, simply press the Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now you will need to access the Windows hosts file using Notepad.
- Most threats add malicious IP addresses here to automatically connect to remote servers.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses below the localhost and save the file.
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When malware infects your system, it normally creates several malicious files and spread them to different locations. After you remove the malware, these leftover files help them to get back to your computer. Remove all virus related files at once by following the below instruction :
- Open the Windows Run Box again by using the Windows and R keys together.
- Now you will open the below paths one by one using the Run Box and remove malicious files.
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the Theva File Virus and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files at once. Use Ctrl, Shift, and Delete keys together for permanent removal.
Remove Theva Ransomware via system restore
- You will again need the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing in cmd and then clicking the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- The System Restore window will get opened instantly then click on the Next button.
- Choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, when you will hit the Yes button, the system restoration process with start immediately.
Note: System restore to remove a virus will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC. Otherwise, no changes will be made to your system and it will not remove any threats. Be advised, restoring the computer to a previous version does not always guarantee virus removal. Most viruses delete restore points, so don’t get disappointed if this trick does not work for you.