VoNiX Ransomware is a file-encrypting malware that belongs to the Xorist family. It secretly attacks the targeted PC and locks all the files using a very powerful encryption algorithm. It is programmed to extort ransom money from users in return for the decryption key. During encryption, it appends the “.VoNiX” file virus extension to the original file names.
For example, when it encodes a file originally named “1.jpg”, then it would appear as “1.jpg.VoNiX”. This converted file cannot be deciphered without the decryption key. It is a Babuk Ransomware variant and it leaves a ransom note “HOW TO DECRYPT FILES.txt” after file encryption to demand money for the decryptor. Read this guide and follow the instructions to get rid of this infection and recover your files.
What is VoNiX Ransomware
VoNiX Ransomware is a data locker malware that encrypts all digital files on a compromised PC. It only converts files into the inaccessible format and then demands extortion money to restore files. This dubious threat is blackmailing malware that prevents users from accessing their personal files and forces them to pay money to reverse the encryption.
It is able to attack all versions of Windows computers without the permission of the user. Upon successful intrusion, it will scan the entire computer for files. Then it encrypts all the files on that PC which normally include but is not limited to video, audio, images, text documents, backup, archives, and so on.
Once done with the encryption, VoNiX File Virus will leave a ransom note on the infected PC to inform victims about the attack. That note will contain all the information about this dubious malware and the ransom demand. The message on that note clearly states that the only way to recover encrypted files is by purchasing the decryption key. Although this ransomware claims to restore your files after paying the money, it is only a trick. Hackers are only intended in making illegal profits by cheating innocent victims.
What happened to your files
The ransomware infection has become a new reality these days. This dirty little malware can easily target your system and you won’t even know it. It will be too late when you will ever realize that your computer is infected and you cannot access your files anymore. There are so many ways through which your PC can get infected by VoNiX Ransomware and you will only get to know about it when all is lost. This virus uses a very powerful military-grade cipher that is impossible to break without knowing the private key. That key is surely unique for every other computer and stored at a remote location, so there is no way to find it.
Once infecting your computer, VoNiX File Virus will change all your files and you will lose access to your private information. It adds its own extension to mark files as locked, and you will need the decryption key to unlock such files and which you can only get from hackers for a price. This is illegal and sure very painful for the victim but cybercriminals are making good money out of it. Hackers don’t give you so much time to look for help, they also try to discourage you by threatening to delete your file completely.
VoNiX Ransomware: Threat Analysis
Common Ways of Ransomware Spreading
There are various ways through which malware like VoNiX Ransomware can infect your system. One of them is by opening spam emails and attachments without scanning for viruses first. Cybercriminals often send fake emails pretending to be some genuine company or service provider. Users don’t give a second thought before opening such emails and malware slips into the computer secretly. One thing you should know is that all digital files like images, documents, pdf, .exe, etc. can carry infection.
Your PC can also get infected when you click on misleading pop-up ads and banners that appear on your screen while browsing the Internet. These advertisements mostly redirect your browser to suspicious websites that often host malicious codes which can trigger the automatic download of malware on your PC. Avoid browsing porn or torrent sites and downloading pirated software. They are commonly used by hackers to spread threats like this. We have created a list of safe practices that can help you protect your PC from further malware intrusion. Be sure to check those precautionary measures at the end of this article.
NEVER Pay Ransom Money
As I have already mentioned, do not pay ransom money to hackers. They are not intended to restore your files. No matter how tempted you are, first, you need to think it through. You don’t know hackers, payment is in BitCoin which cannot be traced, and after getting the money they don’t have any reason to decrypt your files. The only leverage they have on you is your files.
Once you pay, the creators of VoNiX File Virus can leave you hanging. It’s better to use the backup to restore your files. If for any unfortunate reason, you don’t have a backup or your backup files are also encrypted then still do not pay extortion. If you pay the ransom money to cybercriminals, there is no guarantee your files will get restored.
Ransom Note “HOW TO DECRYPT FILES.txt” contains the following text message:
Hello All your files have been encrypted if you want to decrypt them you have to pay me 0.04 bitcoin. Make sure you send the 0.04 bitcoins to this address: bc1q2ne303wy3f2lv7wweq47khanvqmpe4c4nctwlq If you do not own bitcoin, you can easily buy it from this sites: www.coinmama.com www.bitpanda.com www.localbitcoins.com www.paxful.com You can find a larger list here: https://bitcoin.org/en/exchanges After you have sent the bitcoin contact me at one of these email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with this subject: - After the payment has been confirmed, you will receive the decryptor and the keys for decryption!
What to do after Ransomware infection
We strongly suggest you try to remove this virus. There is no way you can hope for a happy ending after paying money to hackers. If they give you a decryption key, then still virus is on your PC. It is highly possible that sometime later it will encrypt your files again using some other extension. So it is important that you use this removal guide to completely remove VoNiX Ransomware from your computer. The Anti-malware tool suggested on this site can help you scan your PC for hidden threats and remove them all at once. You can also restore your files through any Data Recovery Software.
How To Remove VoNiX File Virus
Automatic VoNiX Ransomware Removal Guide
It can be hectic to remove threats from an infected PC but the use of powerful Anti-Malware can make it quite easy. SpyHunter anti-malware can help you to remove Trojan, Ransomware, Spyware, Adware, PUPs, etc. easily. You can scan your system for VoNiX file virus and all other hidden threats at once. All you need to do is to download this software and run a new scan on your PC.
It will find all the threats and viruses in no time and save you lots of time and effort. This amazing software also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware definition updates make it most effective against the latest attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- You will begin by downloading the software on your system for which you have to click on the below download button.
- Once the software has been downloaded, double-click on SpyHunter-Installer.exe to install the Anti-Malware program on your PC and proceed with the setup.
- After installation, you will need to launch the Anti-Malware application. From the welcome screen click on the Start Scan Now button to initiate a new scan of your PC.
- Once the scanning process begins, it will take some time to run a thorough diagnostic of your PC and find all hidden threats and malware.
- Soon you will find a complete list of all the threats on your system screen. Then you will need to click on the Next button to delete all the viruses.
How To Decrypt .VoNiX Files
As there is no VoNiX ransomware decryptor available, you will need to use alternate options to restore your files. The first one is to use the backup. If you have created a backup of your important files then it is going to be quite easy. However, if you don’t have any backup files or they also got encrypted by the virus then you will have to try a data recovery software.
We recommend using Stellar Data Recovery software because it is a powerful and trusted data recovery software. Paying ransom money is not ideal because it will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks. You can wait for any free decryptor to be launched but it can take forever. Download the free trial version of data recovery and scan your PC for files. It may be able to recover some of your files and save you lots of money.
- Click on the below download button to get started instantly with the data recovery process on your PC.
- After the download click on the installer file and complete the software installation. Then launch the application and select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- After the selection of data, you will need to select the location from where you want to recover data. Choose the location and then click on the Scan button.
- The software will take some time to scan your system. You will see a list of all the files that can be recovered. You can preview them or click on the Recover button to save them.
Manual VoNiX File Virus Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Click on the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard to open the Windows Run Box.
- Now you will need to type in MSConfig and then click the OK button.
- The System configuration settings box will appear on your computer screen.
- Click on the Boot tab, check the Safe Boot option, and select the network box,
- Finally, you will have to click on Apply and then press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Open the Windows Rub box again on your PC by pressing the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard.
- This time you will have to type in taskmgr and then click the OK button to open Windows Task Manager. Look for any unknown or malicious running on your system.
- Select the process which is taking lots of systems resources and then click on the End Task button.
Uninstall VoNiX Ransomware from Control Panel
- Again you will need to open the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- This time you need to open the Windows Control Panel, so type in appwiz.cpl and then click the OK button.
- Programs and Features windows will appear on your computer screen with a list of all the installed applications.
- Now you need to look for any unknown or virus related program and then Uninstall it from your PC.
Remove VoNiX Ransomware From Registry Editor
- Again open the Windows Run Box on your PC by using the Windows and R keys.
- To open the Windows Registry Editor, type in Regedit and click the OK button.
- Now you will have to find the virus related registry files and remove them.
- Press CTRL and F keys together on the keyboard to start a Find query.
- Type the virus name and click on Find Next button to find malicious entries and delete them.
Remove Malicious IP addresses from Windows Hosts Files
- To open the Windows hosts file, simply press the Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now you will need to access the Windows hosts file using Notepad.
- Most threats add malicious IP addresses here to automatically connect to remote servers.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses below the localhost and save the file.
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When malware infects your system, it normally creates several malicious files and spread them at different locations. After you remove the malware, these leftover files help them to get back to your computer. Remove all virus related files at once by following the below instruction :
- Open the Windows Run Box again by using the Windows and R keys together.
- Now you will open the below paths one by one using the Run Box and remove malicious files.
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the VoNiX File Virus and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files at once. Use Ctrl, Shift, and Delete keys together for permanent removal.
Remove VoNiX File Virus via system restore
- You will again need the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing in cmd and then clicking the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- The System Restore window will get opened instantly then click on the Next button.
- Choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, when you will hit the Yes button, the system restoration process with start immediately.
Note: System restore to remove a virus will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC. Otherwise, no changes will be made to your system and it will not remove any threats. Be advised, restoring the computer to a previous version does not always guarantee virus removal. Most viruses delete restore points, so don’t get diVoNiXointed if this trick does not work for you.