PSCrypt is a ransomware infection that encrypts files and generates ransom notes on infected PC. It is designed to extort money from victims by rendering their files useless. It will make all your data useless and force you to buy decryption tools to restore them.
PSCrypt Ransomware will append the “.PSCrypt” extension after encrypting the data. For example, if the original file name was “myphoto.jpg” then after encryption it would appear as “myphoto.jpg.PSCrypt” which you cannot access. It leaves a ransom note with instructions for contacting virus creators for data recovery. Read this guide to know how to remove PSCrypt virus from your PC and recover your files.
What is PSCrypt Virus?
.PSCrypt File Virus is a dangerous file-encrypting computer malware. This notorious threat is capable to infect any Windows PC very easily. It can sneak into the targeted machine without getting detected. After intrusion, it scans the entire system for files and encrypts them using a powerful file encoding technique. All your files will be there on your computer but you will not be allowed to access them. You will find a ransom note in every folder demanding extortion fees. It will ask you that the only way to recover your files is paying the ransom money to buy the decryption key.
Well, the initial research shows that it is a tough nut to crack. Programmed by evil cyber criminals, it is only aimed to extort money from you. Like other typical ransomware infections, PSCrypt Virus can encrypt your data and force you to pay ransom money. It uses a military-grade AES-256 algorithm to handle the encryption of your data. It is very unlikely to break the encryption without a decoder and private key.
How does it work?
.PSCrypt Virus usually blackmails the victims to extort money from them. After making all your files inaccessible then it demands a huge amount of money through a ransom note. Meanwhile, the ransom note will be dropped on the infected PC after the successful file encryption. It threatens the users that all their files are encrypted and can only be unlocked through a private decryption key.
Attackers behind this infection want users to pay money in form of bitcoin to get that decryption key. What’s more, PSCrypt File Virus also forces the victims to pay the money within a certain time limit. Failure to pay money can result in a price hike or the permanent deletion of data. However, users should know that even paying money is not going to decrypt your files completely.
Ransomware spread through traditional ways
.PSCrypt File Virus is a dangerous computer malware that could spread through various means. Cybercriminals use several deceptive methods to distribute threats like this but software bundling and spam emails are the most common.
Any freeware program downloaded from unofficial and unreliable sources could have an additional malicious attachment. It is very important to use the custom or advanced installation method to avoid any unknown file from getting installed on your PC.
Apart from this, PSCrypt Virus could also get dropped on your machine through spam emails. Virus creators send fake emails pretending to be some big company, famous identity, a service provider like a credit card company. So you must not open such emails from unknown senders and always scan attachments before opening.
PSCrypt Ransomware: Threat Analysis
File encryption and Ransom Demand
.PSCrypt File Virus has the only motive to cheat innocent users and blackmail them for money. The file encryption technology used by hackers is quite sophisticated and there is no way of breaking it without the decryption key. This noxious malware infection can easily encode all your videos, images, files, documents, and other files.
After encrypting your data, it will rename your files to mark them locked. Attackers will demand the ransom money to give you a decryption key that can allegedly unlock your files. The ransom demand is in BitCoin which could not be traced, so it makes it riskier to pay money. Users can find ransom notes in almost all the folders on the computer.
How To Deal With PSCrypt File Virus
Well, according to the security experts users should not pay any money for PSCrypt Virus. This cunning malware infection can easily trick your money and leave you hanging. In reality, most of the users who pay ransom money get scammed because hackers often cut all communications after getting paid. It has also been seen that the decryption key provided by attackers is unable to decrypt all locked files completely.
Additionally, it may even invite attackers to commit further crimes in the infected systems to earn more. However, as far as the matter of your important files is concerned you can restore your data with backup. In case you don’t have any back, try any good data recovery software. However, it is vital to remove PSCrypt Virus to avoid any further damage.
How To Remove PSCrypt File Virus
Automatic PSCrypt Virus Removal Guide
It can be hectic to remove threats from an infected PC but the use of powerful Anti-Malware can make it quite easy. SpyHunter anti-malware can help you to remove Trojan, Ransomware, Spyware, Adware, PUPs, etc. easily. You can scan your system for PSCrypt virus and all other hidden threats at once. All you need to do is to download this software and run a new scan on your PC.
It will find all the threats and viruses in no time and save you lots of time and effort. This amazing software also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware definition updates make it most effective against the latest attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- You will begin by downloading the software on your system for which you have to click on the below download button.
- Once the software has been downloaded, double-click on SpyHunter-Installer.exe to install the Anti-Malware program on your PC and proceed with the setup.
- After installation, you will need to launch the Anti-Malware application. From the welcome screen click on the Start Scan Now button to initiate a new scan of your PC.
- Once the scanning process begins, it will take some time to run a thorough diagnostic of your PC and find all hidden threats and malware.
- Soon you will find a complete list of all the threats on your system screen. Then you will need to click on the Next button to delete all the viruses.
How To Decrypt .PSCrypt Files
As there is no PSCrypt ransomware decryptor available, you will need to use alternate options to restore your files. The first one is to use the backup. If you have created a backup of your important files then it is going to be quite easy. However, if you don’t have any backup files or they also got encrypted by the virus then you will have to try a data recovery software.
We recommend using Stellar Data Recovery software because it is a powerful and trusted data recovery software. Paying ransom money is not ideal because it will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks. You can wait for any free decryptor to be launched but it can take forever. Download the free trial version of data recovery and scan your PC for files. It may be able to recover some of your files and save you lots of money.
- Click on the below download button to get started instantly with the data recovery process on your PC.
- After the download click on the installer file and complete the software installation. Then launch the application and select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- After the selection of data, you will need to select the location from where you want to recover data. Choose the location and then click on the Scan button.
- The software will take some time to scan your system. You will see a list of all the files that can be recovered. You can preview them or click on the Recover button to save them.
Manual PSCrypt Virus Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Click on the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard to open the Windows Run Box.
- Now you will need to type in MSConfig and then click the OK button.
- The System configuration settings box will appear on your computer screen.
- Click on the Boot tab, check the Safe Boot option, and select the network box,
- Finally, you will have to click on Apply and then press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Open the Windows Rub box again on your PC by pressing the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard.
- This time you will have to type in taskmgr and then click the OK button to open Windows Task Manager. Look for any unknown or malicious running on your system.
- Select the process which is taking lots of systems resources and then click on the End Task button.
Uninstall PSCrypt Virus from Control Panel
- Again you will need to open the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- This time you need to open the Windows Control Panel, so type in appwiz.cpl and then click the OK button.
- Programs and Features windows will appear on your computer screen with a list of all the installed applications.
- Now you need to look for any unknown or virus related program and then Uninstall it from your PC.
Remove PSCrypt Virus From Registry Editor
- Again open the Windows Run Box on your PC by using the Windows and R keys.
- To open the Windows Registry Editor, type in Regedit and click the OK button.
- Now you will have to find the virus related registry files and remove them.
- Press CTRL and F keys together on the keyboard to start a Find query.
- Type the virus name and click on Find Next button to find malicious entries and delete them.
Remove Malicious IP addresses from Windows Hosts Files
- To open the Windows hosts file, simply press the Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now you will need to access the Windows hosts file using Notepad.
- Most threats add malicious IP addresses here to automatically connect to remote servers.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses below the localhost and save the file.
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When malware infects your system, it normally creates several malicious files and spread them at different locations. After you remove the malware, these leftover files help them to get back to your computer. Remove all virus related files at once by following the below instruction :
- Open the Windows Run Box again by using the Windows and R keys together.
- Now you will open the below paths one by one using the Run Box and remove malicious files.
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the PSCrypt File Virus and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files at once. Use Ctrl, Shift, and Delete keys together for permanent removal.
Remove PSCrypt Virus via system restore
- You will again need the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing in cmd and then clicking the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- The System Restore window will get opened instantly then click on the Next button.
- Choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, when you will hit the Yes button, the system restoration process with start immediately.
Note: System restore to remove a virus will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC. Otherwise, no changes will be made to your system and it will not remove any threats. Be advised, restoring the computer to a previous version does not always guarantee virus removal. Most viruses delete restore points, so don’t get disappointed if this trick does not work for you.