SEX3 virus is a ransomware infection that belongs to SATANA group. It is created by cybercriminals to encrypt users’ files and extort money. This dubious threat changes the desktop wallpaper with a ransom message image. It also modifies files after encryption by adding the “.SEX3” extension.
For example, a file “myphoto.jpg” will be renamed as “myphoto.jpg.SEX3” after encryption. This is an encrypted version of the original file. You cannot access this file without the decryption key. This same process happens to all the files stored on the infected PC.
SEX3 Virus also provides a ransom note “!satana!.txt” that contains instructions for victims. It asks users to contact attackers and pay ransom money to buy decryption software. Read this guide to know how to remove this virus and restore your files.
What is SEX3 Virus?
SEX3 is an extremely harmful computer malware that belongs to the file-encrypting family. It can easily intrude on your PC without your consent or permission. Once inside, it will encrypt all your important and personal files without your knowledge and render them inaccessible. It will also mark its signature by adding its own extension to the end of the file names.
SEX3 will also leave a ransom note on your computer to notify you about the encryption. It will ask that your files, videos, audios, etc. are encrypted and can only be opened by private decryption keys. It will demand a huge sum of amount through cryptocurrency to give you that decryption key. In case you don’t pay the ransom money, it threatens to delete all your files permanently.
How it infects your PC?
SEX3 is able to attack all types of Windows PC. It uses various lucrative methods to intrude on your machine. Spam email attachments are one of the most used methods. Attackers send emails containing malicious files with catchy titles to thousands of people. Most people open such emails and download the attachments. Ransomware instantly infected their PC and further spread through public Wi-Fi and shared network connections.
SEX3 Virus can also get distributed through bundled freeware programs, cracked software, porn sites, torrent files, and p2p file sharing. It is very common that users disable their anti-virus to install such programs. After successful intrusion, it also disables your anti-virus and firewall security. Due to this, you will not be able to remove this infection using your regular security software.
SEX3 Ransomware: Threat Analysis
Do not pay ransom money
If you are thinking all your files will be recovered after you make the payment? Not exactly. Most of the times victims don’t get the decryption key. If somehow you will get the decryptor, SEX3 virus will still be on your system. It will stay hidden until it encrypts your files again with any new variant. It is also possible that the decryption key may bring more threats and viruses to your PC.
Sometimes files get corrupted after encryption and decryption will not work. There are a number of scenarios in which SEX3 can make further damage to your PC even after taking your money. So it is really not a good idea to pay money. You cannot track the cryptocurrency payment, so you will never find the person who got the money.
We strongly suggest that ransomware victims try to delete the virus from their system ASAP. If you remove this virus, it will not be able to do any further damage to your computer. You can easily recover your files through backup. If you don’t have a backup, you can try data recovery software or wait for free decryptor software to be released.
Ransom note “!satana!.txt” contains the following message:
The harddisks of your computer have been encrypted with an military grade encryption algorithm. There is no way to restore your data without a special key. You can purchase this key on the darknet page E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org - this is our mail CODE: 14B4030A8A7F8B8D7B1101720567C27E this is code; you must send BTC: 17CqMQFeuB3NTzJ2X28tfRmWaPyPQgvoHV here need to pay 0,5 bitcoins continue the normal download on your computer. Good luck! May God help you!
How To Remove SEX3 File Virus
Automatic SEX3 Virus Removal Guide
It can be hectic to remove threats from an infected PC but the use of powerful Anti-Malware can make it quite easy. SpyHunter anti-malware can help you to remove Trojan, Ransomware, Spyware, Adware, PUPs, etc. easily. You can scan your system for SEX3 virus and all other hidden threats at once. All you need to do is to download this software and run a new scan on your PC.
It will find all the threats and viruses in no time and save you lots of time and effort. This amazing software also provides 24X7 customer support and one-on-one Spyware HelpDesk support for Custom Malware removal. Advanced System Guard feature detects and removes threats in real time. It has a very User-Friendly Interface and regular Malware definition updates make it most effective against the latest attacks.
How SpyHunter 5 Anti-Malware Works
- You will begin by downloading the software on your system for which you have to click on the below download button.
- Once the software has been downloaded, double-click on SpyHunter-Installer.exe to install the Anti-Malware program on your PC and proceed with the setup.
- After installation, you will need to launch the Anti-Malware application. From the welcome screen click on the Start Scan Now button to initiate a new scan of your PC.
- Once the scanning process begins, it will take some time to run a thorough diagnostic of your PC and find all hidden threats and malware.
- Soon you will find a complete list of all the threats on your system screen. Then you will need to click on the Next button to delete all the viruses.
How To Decrypt .SEX3 Files
As there is no SEX3 ransomware decryptor available, you will need to use alternate options to restore your files. The first one is to use the backup. If you have created a backup of your important files then it is going to be quite easy. However, if you don’t have any backup files or they also got encrypted by the virus then you will have to try a data recovery software.
We recommend using Stellar Data Recovery software because it is a powerful and trusted data recovery software. Paying ransom money is not ideal because it will only motivate hackers to carry out more attacks. You can wait for any free decryptor to be launched but it can take forever. Download the free trial version of data recovery and scan your PC for files. It may be able to recover some of your files and save you lots of money.
- Click on the below download button to get started instantly with the data recovery process on your PC.
- After the download click on the installer file and complete the software installation. Then launch the application and select the Data type to recover, and click the Next button.
- After the selection of data, you will need to select the location from where you want to recover data. Choose the location and then click on the Scan button.
- The software will take some time to scan your system. You will see a list of all the files that can be recovered. You can preview them or click on the Recover button to save them.
Manual SEX3 Virus Removal Guide
Start PC in safe mode with networking
- Click on the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard to open the Windows Run Box.
- Now you will need to type in MSConfig and then click the OK button.
- The System configuration settings box will appear on your computer screen.
- Click on the Boot tab, check the Safe Boot option, and select the network box,
- Finally, you will have to click on Apply and then press the OK button.
Kill Malicious Process From Task Manager
- Open the Windows Rub box again on your PC by pressing the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard.
- This time you will have to type in taskmgr and then click the OK button to open Windows Task Manager. Look for any unknown or malicious running on your system.
- Select the process which is taking lots of systems resources and then click on the End Task button.
Uninstall SEX3 Virus from Control Panel
- Again you will need to open the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- This time you need to open the Windows Control Panel, so type in appwiz.cpl and then click the OK button.
- Programs and Features windows will appear on your computer screen with a list of all the installed applications.
- Now you need to look for any unknown or virus related program and then Uninstall it from your PC.
Remove SEX3 Virus From Registry Editor
- Again open the Windows Run Box on your PC by using the Windows and R keys.
- To open the Windows Registry Editor, type in Regedit and click the OK button.
- Now you will have to find the virus related registry files and remove them.
- Press CTRL and F keys together on the keyboard to start a Find query.
- Type the virus name and click on Find Next button to find malicious entries and delete them.
Remove Malicious IP addresses from Windows Hosts Files
- To open the Windows hosts file, simply press the Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Run Box and then click the OK button.
- Now you will need to access the Windows hosts file using Notepad.
- Most threats add malicious IP addresses here to automatically connect to remote servers.
- Delete all the malicious IP addresses below the localhost and save the file.
Delete Virus related files from your PC
When malware infects your system, it normally creates several malicious files and spread them at different locations. After you remove the malware, these leftover files help them to get back to your computer. Remove all virus related files at once by following the below instruction :
- Open the Windows Run Box again by using the Windows and R keys together.
- Now you will open the below paths one by one using the Run Box and remove malicious files.
For the first four options, look for any recent folder related to the SEX3 File Virus and remove them. For the Temp folder, you can delete all the files at once. Use Ctrl, Shift, and Delete keys together for permanent removal.
Remove SEX3 Virus via system restore
- You will again need the Windows Run Box, so press the Windows and R keys together.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing in cmd and then clicking the OK button.
- Type cd restore and press Enter, then type rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- The System Restore window will get opened instantly then click on the Next button.
- Choose a System Restore point you have created in the past and click the Next button.
- Finally, when you will hit the Yes button, the system restoration process with start immediately.
Note: System restore to remove a virus will only work if you have a restore point set on your PC. Otherwise, no changes will be made to your system and it will not remove any threats. Be advised, restoring the computer to a previous version does not always guarantee virus removal. Most viruses delete restore points, so don’t get disappointed if this trick does not work for you.